[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is SpaceX a meme /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: falcon_heavy.jpg (2MB, 1549x2273px) Image search: [Google]
falcon_heavy.jpg
2MB, 1549x2273px
Is SpaceX a meme /g/?
>>
File: spacex landing.webm (1MB, 634x339px) Image search: [Google]
spacex landing.webm
1MB, 634x339px
>>59327869

no
>>
>>59327869
No. ``Is * a meme, /g/?" is a meme
>>
>>59327869
Yes. They waste millions blowing up rockets by accident and building meme cars that can only be charge in meotropolitan areas. If you disagree please tell me how space x has made any different in your life besides occasionally driving behind a tesla in traffic
>>
>>59327869
Memes don't go from never having flown a rocket to launching a previously used booster into orbit, dropping a payload off, and landing it within the span of a decade (they're finally launching a reused booster this month).

They're not perfect, and they don't deliver on their promises exactly when they say they will, but despite that they're still moving than any other rocket company, save for maybe Blue Origin. Furthermore, they're hard at work setting up alternative sources of revenue so they don't have to rely on the launch market alone. I'll take that over the numerous cancellations, delays, idiotic decisions, and budget restrictions Congress has bludgeoned poor old NASA with any day.
>>
>>59327869
Your life is.
>>
>>59327869
No it's time for us to leave this shit hole since it's full of autism and they have been doing what nasa is too fucking scared to do anymore
>>
File: 1460192331019.jpg (10KB, 238x211px) Image search: [Google]
1460192331019.jpg
10KB, 238x211px
>>59327970
>HE THINKS SPACE TRAVEL IS POINTLESS

Typical neck beard Virgin answer. This is a technology board. Think your lost.
>>
>>59327869
Yes instead of funding Nasa the government just subsidizes space X
>>
>>59327869
No, it's great free testing for NASA
>>
>>59328374
Fake news, they haven't reused a booster yet
>>
>>59327869

No. SpaceX has a long list of firsts: first privately-owned cargo vessel into orbit, first privately-owned craft to dock with the ISS, first rocket booster re-landed at sea, and soon, first re-use of a rocket booster. Also, the Falcon Heavy will break the record for most lift on a rocket. Not to mention the fact that the price of space launches has gone into freefall thanks to them. SpaceX is a huge fucking deal.

>>59327970

You're retarded. Do you have *any idea* how efficient SpaceX has been compared to the former ULA monopoly? Also, SpaceX doesn't build cars.

>>59328451

Yeah, and they're actually accomplishing something. NASA's pace was too ponderous, their goals too abstract and academic. They just kept shooting these little satellites in orbit to figure out how crickets reacted to zero-gravity or whatever. Musk is dead set on pushing the human race into a multi-planetary age, and he's actually getting something done. I believe the man can reach Mars.

You know Musk's new Boring Company? A lot of people relate it to the Hyperloop, but it's actually related to the Mars mission. If you're on Mars, you're going to be seeking a way to protect yourself from the radiation. The easiest way to do that happens to be digging a big-ass hole. Problem is, no digging equipment on Earth is well-suited for it, because it's all combustion-fueled. A modular, electric boring machine made of 3D-printable parts would be a crucial part of a Mars mission.

Tesla and Solarcity are part of it too. Where we're going, we won't need roads, but we will need batteries and solar panels.

It's genius, it's all part of a huge, intricate plan. I think really think he can do it.
>>
>>59328905
No the easiest way is to have a structure erected and soil put on top of it. Having a excavator and,conveyer belts is a lot easier than a tunnel boring machine. Not to mention you would be limited on landing sites, if there even is one to begin with that would allow for it to be done. The way you talk makes me want to call you an armchair engineer
>>
>>59327869
Space is a meme. Deep sea is where it's at.
>>
>>59329913
The deep sea is important too, but has nowhere near the potential as a course-changer/revolution bringer that space has. In all reality, both should be pursued in tandem. The fact that they aren't speaks to how horribly the government has misapplied funding.
>>
>>59328433
>I dont like what you said. That means you're a neckbird virgin
>>
>>59327869
>tfw you work at SpaceX
>tfw you go grocery shopping wearing your work clothes and someone asks if you can get them a free trip to Mars
>tfw another time someone notices the SpaceX logo on your shirt and expounds on why we should try landing the rockets in a big pit of bouncy balls
>tfw you got a bunch of nice SpaceX shirts for free that you have to take off before you leave work or some autist will try and strike up a conversation about the moon landings being fake

Yep, SpaceX is officially a meme. Whenever I go to a party or meet new people I just say I work in a machine shop.
>>
>>59327970
SpaceX is drastically lowering the cost of satellite launches which should improve pretty much every aspect of global communications.

>please tell me how jet engines change my life if I don't fly???
>>
File: pepe_on_mars_by_toshitne-d8sfi8o.png (513KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_on_mars_by_toshitne-d8sfi8o.png
513KB, 1024x1024px
Will Mars be a fresh start for the white race?
>>
>>59330116
how smart are the people working there actually? do i have a chance?
>>
>people make a big deal over a couple of falcon 9 explosions
>meanwhile praising how reliable atlas and delta are
>not looking at the history of atlas and delta that lead to their current reliable rockets
SpaceX is doing good shit with tech other companies aren't using.
>>
I'm starting to actually think his Mars timeline is going to happen, not to mention the competition it's going to spur over the next decade. We're going to space mother fuckers. Musk is truth and he don't give a fuck if you doubt it because he's just doing the work regardless of if it makes the most money. God I'd suck his dick
>>
>>59328905
Good post anon, you got me excited about spacex.
>>
>>59331070
You caught me before I went to bed so I'll try and answer. Keep in mind that I'm a brainlet, I'm a technician not an engineer.

Even though I'm a tech I'm fairly senior and I interact with a ton of different engineering groups throughout my day. The technical staff runs the gamut from fairly smart, but very hard working and creative, to seriously genius level brilliant. And I'm not talking about Musk here, although all of my interactions with him have ben positive to date. There are some guys in propulsion and in the computational physics group that have serious brainpower.

What's your background and what kind of position are you looking at?

>>59331140
>God I'd suck his dick
Get in line, that's one of my official duties here.
>>
>>59331213
don't have anything concrete in mind yet really, I'm just playing with the idea.

Studying EE in Germany and top of my (small) class
Is the 'germans are good engineers' meme an actual thing? can i ride it to get a good job in the US or elsewhere?
>>
>>59331299
We have some EEs working in avionics but desu it isn't a highly represented major here at this point. There are many more Mech/Aero types. SpaceX recently, last year or so, opened up development offices in Irvine and Seattle doing custom satellite work, lots of EEs there.

>Is the 'germans are good engineers' meme an actual thing?
Yeah, German engineers are well respected. Culture wise I get the impression German engineering teams tend to be more hierarchical whereas here we like the Silicon Valley "flat structure" meme. It won't actually make a difference though.

Be aware that SpaceX is pretty competitive, the biggest differentiator tends to be a candidate's involvement in engineering projects like Formula SAE and such.

One important thing, SpaceX is subject to ITAR, which is a US regulation regarding arms control, as such we can only hire US Citizens and Permanent Residents. There are exceptions to this but its very costly and time consuming so it's only used to recruit very high level engineering staff.

Tesla recently acquired Grohmann Engineering in PrĂ¼m. I've heard very good things about them. It's not SpaceX but if that's something you're interested in it can bring you into the corporate fold and make it easier to move to the US at some later date.
>>
>>59328905
good post
>>
>>59327880
every time I see that it continues to look amazing
>>
>>59327970
>cars that can only be used in city
And where's the problem in that?
>>
>>59327869
could wtc still be alive?
>>
>>59327880
>implying this is not a reusable ICBM, the next logical step in military advancement, sold to public as nice tech to have consent of public
>>
File: 1488829649759.png (278KB, 706x412px) Image search: [Google]
1488829649759.png
278KB, 706x412px
>>59331930
>a reusable ICBM
>>
>>59331948
the expensive part made reusable
>>
>>59331959
Why? ICBM launches are very very rare.
>>
>>59331983
so are nukes, doesn't stop the military from trying to work on its efficiency
>>
>>59332006
That's a different kind of efficiency.
An efficient nuke lets you build more nukes, a reusable ICBM is pointless if you basically never launch ICBMs.
>>
>>59330567
No. They will send women there.
>>
>>59331429
I'm not the guy you're responding to but thanks for the info.

How come there's so much shitposting about SpaceX but when an actual SpaceX anon shows up no one asks any questions?
>>
>>59332039
They'll also send gays for some reason
>>
>>59332195
To cure your gays.
>>
>>59327869
Yes. Gradatim Ferociter.
>>
>>59330567
No, the demons will invade from mars. Mars might be our downfall.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.