[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember pre-1990, when TV felt like its own niche community?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 2541229571_16e7b736b4_b.jpg (429KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
2541229571_16e7b736b4_b.jpg
429KB, 1024x681px
Remember pre-1990, when TV felt like its own niche community? Sure it was full of wholesome and fun characters, but they were creative freaks.

This was before millions of cable channel fuckheads diluted its original feeling into a cheesy whore-fest which is totally unrecognizable from what it used to be.
>>
>tech and hardware used to look good
>was stylish, had character, ect.
>now everything is flat, compact, uninspired, and leaves no room for flaws and mismatching tech
>CRTs are effectively dead despite being the most attractive way to view anything digital
>>
>>59326934
Is this copypasta now
>>
I do remember, specifically how shitty it was. Unlike what you are doing now which is only remembering the good parts.

please fuck off with your nostalgia cancer
>>
>>59327237
>not knowing how to code a copypasta finder

Literally /g/ material
>>
What I most miss is heavy metal and the quality of the switches and dials. It used to be a really fun experience to move that lever or turn that smooth knob and feel the change you were making. Honestly, tech is less fun for me than it was in the 90's when you could open it up and see how it worked and all the cool components. Now everything is just a green circuit board with plastic controls.
>>
>>59326934
I was 6 years old in 1990 and I'm probably one of the oldest people who will read this thread. And I can only dimly get the idea you're trying to allude to here. I don't think you'll get many good responses.
>>
>>59327237
>I do remember

No one who is old enough to remember would use a term like "nostalgia cancer". You shitpost in these threads very often. I think it's time you proved your credentials.
>>
>>59327038
The weight and energy of CRTs killed it..

Would love to see a 4K tier CRT or that one weird flat panel not really CRT thing they did that died after a whole year
>>
>>59326934
More like pre-2007, 2007 is when HDTV began to outpace CRTs in sales
>>
>>59328487
>Hey mate, can you help me move my 30" CRT upstairs? Just picked it up!
>>
>>59328500
I think he's talking about television programming, not the image quality. Cable television's rise was a revolution in programming. Trash TV came along with it.
>>
>>59327038
>CRTs are effectively dead despite being the most attractive way to view anything digital

My primary TV is still a 34XBR960. Despite the 1080i, convergence issues, eventual death of all THX certified CRT technicians, and a "pixel" mapping that definitely isn't close to 1:1 due to overscan, I stuck with it forever. Still looks amazing with Blu-Ray sources, but it is heavily lacking for anything other than movies. Most LCDs were garbage, but plasma was a great replacement. Was gonna get a Kuro, but OLED is a worthy successor to CRTs and plasmas. The display size vs. weight of CRTs was the death of them. I gave my 40" XBR to my parents, but will eventually take it back for that 4:3 ratio. Shit's a heavy ass motherfucker though. 300 lbs.

I wish SED took off. Bunch of little babby CRTs in a flat panel.
>>
>>59328509
There's also this to consider:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Television

>ut the first golden age was about the availability of high-quality cultural offerings in an era of limited channels, made possible because early television receivers were expensive and could be afforded mostly by the more educated and cultured class of viewers.

This happens with many different types of technology. See also: Eternal September. I'm not sure when television's first September came. Color was likely a big factor.
>>
>>59327038
> tfw 3D printing feels like the early tech communities in the 80/90s
Oh man I'm gonna miss the days when hairspray, kids glue sticks, and warped prints go out of style
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.