[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discuss.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: CentOS_Linux_Unixmen.png (23KB, 1340x361px) Image search: [Google]
CentOS_Linux_Unixmen.png
23KB, 1340x361px
Discuss.
>>
>>59323063
It's OK, unless you rely heavily on perl. Then you're in for a dependency hunt. Boy, what a mess RHEL 7 is!
>>
>>59323063
Dunno man
Should I install this OS to my server
(centOS 5 exactly because the OEM supports drivers for that OS
>>
>>59323192

Fuck that, I'm thinking of installing it as my main OS
>>
>>59323063
If you want to live in the world of Red Hat sure.
>>
>>59323063
it's okay

>>59323368
It's shit on the desktop, you shouldn't really use it unless it's a corporate workstation or something.
>>
>>59323063
>there are companies that use this when they should be buying RHEL.
>>
>>59323413

In what way is it shit? Currently on Ubuntu standard and am intrigued by Cent.
>>
>>59323413
it makes an okayish desktop, but you need at least EPEL and nux-dextop repos added

>>59323537
old kernel (and everything else) and some packages are broken, still.
I think Wine was the most annoying one.
>>
>>59323063
Janky as fuck if you're trying to use it as a desktop/workstation distro, because most of it is extremely old.
>>
>>59323063
I've used this to host an apache server for a webcommerce site.
It's aight.
>>
>>59323063
have it at work, it would be good if the update have worked normally. It adds new snapshot to bootloader and it fucking doesn't work, so i use old snapshot...otherwise it's bearable. Only thing you need to do is to add repositories for newer version of programs.
>>
>>59323063
My university uses it. I quite like it
>>
Top tier for servers
Shit tier for workstations
>>
>>59323557

what was bad about wine? I have a client that uses wine to run some engineering software on their cent7 machines.
>>
I use it on my laptop and in VM's on my desktop. Stable, compatible with RHEL7 stuff so I can prototype stuff here and transfer it to my client's environments.
>>
>>59323893
it couldn't start any program. I don't remember what caused it, or whether I even got to the bottom of the problem because I eventually just said fuck it and compiled a newer version from source
>>
>>59323940
weird, 'cause I've been using it under CentOS since CentOS 5.x without much of a problem.
>>
>>59323807
Why is it top tier compared to Debian?
Because you pay for support?
>>
we use it and nothing but it at work,

really glad there's literally 0 production machines running anything windows
>>
>>59323711
>Only thing you need to do is to add repositories for newer version of programs.
why?

stop chasing version numbers
>>
>>59325448
needed newer firefox for nagios checker
>>
>>59323063
I've been using Ubuntu LTS for years now because dont have time to tinker as much as I used to (used to use Gentoo). I'm getting tired of Ubuntu though and would love if there was something like Fedora LTS. Would CentOS + EPEL "provides rebuilds of Fedora packages for EL" be good?
>>
>>59325922
Just use Debian Stable.
>>
We got rid of rhel at work and went all centos. Like 40k servers. Redhat probably still in tears.
>>
>>59324940
No CentOS is completely free

Debian is good for servers too, but CentOS has a more predictable lifecycle and it's based off RHEL
>>
>>59323063

Good luck getting e1000e drivers to work if you have a super micro server.
>>
>>59323063
why not use fedora instead?
>>
CentOS is cool, but for some sick reason, Ubuntu as a server operating system is all the rage. I hate it.
>>
>>59323192
CentOS 5.11 is on EOL. Check the documentation.

CentoOS is fine, great on VPS/cloud deployment.
>>
>>59323063
Pretty good as a desktop, but nothing seems to integrate well without gnome and my laptop is a tad old for it now (like it happens in every other distro), also Totem not being able to load gstreamer plugins kinda triggers my autism, you need to install vlc or mpv. nmtui is there in case something happens (like uninstalling the only display manager available in the official repos - gdm - don't uninstall it), stable like a fucking mountain.
>>
>>59327350
cause ubuntu just werks friend.
>>
>>59326688
And you can't recompile the kernel because?
>>
>>59330663
he is a pleb that spent 10min in /sqg/ instead of trying to solve the problem
>>
>>59323063
Inferior to TempleOS
>>
>>59326640
>and it's based off RHEL
So let me ask again, "Why is it top tier compared to Debian?"
>>
Great server OS, packages are a bit old for home desktop use if you want the latest stuff.
I would use it for anything enterprise related.
Updates are nice and slow unless it's a security vulnerability.
10 year support cycle makes running it pain free.
>>
>>59323063
Godtier OS
>>
This OS saved my ass when I had to precompile something that I had to deploy on a RHEL server without internet access. Got two VMs with it.
>>
>>59327300
On a desktop, sure why not. On a server? No.
>>
>>59323368
Use fedora instead?
>>
>>59332741
Honestly this, fedora is a brilliant desktop OS.
CentOS for server OS, or production workstation OS. Although fedora has been more stable as a desktop OS for me than debain or ubuntu
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.