[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Two seperate routers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: $.jpg (7KB, 333x245px) Image search: [Google]
$.jpg
7KB, 333x245px
Hello. I am a college student living at home and our old router is starting to deteriorate and thus leaving a bad signal through our house. My bedroom where the wifi must travel to is semi-far away and the walls are thick so the connection is pretty crap anyway. I'm thinking of buying a router (pic related) to set up in my room on my own separate internet network. Here are my questions: Is it possible to have two different routers in one home with separate networks? My room doesn't have one of those ports on the wall that you screw a modem into (forgive me for not knowing what it's called) but can I set it up in here anyway? What would I need to accomplish this if it is possible? Any help is much appreciated.
>>
File: router.png (161KB, 1444x472px) Image search: [Google]
router.png
161KB, 1444x472px
>>
>deteriorate
>leaving a bad signal
>travel to is semi-far
>walls are thick

Wat.
>>
>>59321921
call geeksquad
>>
>>59321921
Why don't you just buy two powerline Ethernet adapters?
>>
>>59321921
Use Google, you dumb fuck or at least stay in sqt!
>>
You can contract a second internet connection, but you'll be paying double. They'll set it up for you.

I'm more interested in knowing if you can have 2 different access points in 2 different parts of the house using the same line.
>>
>>59321921
Electronics don't wear out slowly over time, your wireless signal won't slowly wear out because the hardware is getting older, it either works or it doesn't. Or stages in-between possibly but discontinuously.
Anyway.
What do you want? Your own network, your own WiFi, your own internet connection?
If you have one phone line you have one internet connection unless you have cable or satellite internet I guess.
So, to go from internet to network you need a modem. Your ip will give you probably only one ip address so typically you create a private network using one of the rfc private ranges and then use a router to route packets between networks. Finally for WiFi you need an access point. What people call routers are really actually all 3 in one.
If you want to extend WiFi you need a wireless access point. If you want your own network you need to reconfigure the router connected to the modem to handle the two networks then a wireless access point for each. If you want your own internet then you pay to get another line installed.
WiFi on 2.4ghz overlaps like a motherfucker, you can have channel 1,6 and 11 running at the same time without an issue, that's the most. If people near you are running WiFi at channels within 5 or 6 hops of your channel it will interfere. If someone uses a microwave or cordless phone it will interfere. If you want a second access point on a close channel or will interfere.
If you can use a cable use a cable. Cable is infinitely better than wireless
>>
>>59324921
It's the first time I heard of those, and they seem pretty amazing. Would they work if you have different power lines coming into your house?

Electrical wiring sometimes is a mess in older houses.
>>
>>59324921
>>59325039
Instead of using powerline adapters simply pay homeless men to fuck you in the asshole until you get aids. A much more pleasant experience.
>>
>>59325039
They seem to work at my dad's house really well it's how he connects to his office which actually a little separate apartment downstairs. As far as wiring goes I'm not too sure best ask the manufacturer.
>>
No, you could not run another router without running an ethernet line. However buying a router like pic related would probably be strong enough to reach your room especially you use the 2.4gHz band.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.