[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ wanted your opinion about sysadmins and their careers.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: lftc_evolution_sysadmin[1].jpg (991KB, 3451x2635px) Image search: [Google]
lftc_evolution_sysadmin[1].jpg
991KB, 3451x2635px
Hey /g/ wanted your opinion about sysadmins and their careers.

I myself started working as a UNIX sysadmin half year ago and i always wanted to start programming someday. Being unix admin is nice and all, but i am not sure about the career path, i am not confident in being sysadmin my whole life and want to take up programming eventually. Two things that are holding me back now - i have 0 programming experience and am 24y/o. Do you think there still is chance for me or should i just continue with SysAdmin path and get some certificates and i should be good?
>>
How "easy" is it to start an administration job/career? With easy I mean without any qualifications beforehand. I'm 27 years old if that matters and I have a degree in an unrelated field (and I've never worked a day in my life).
>>
>>59314901
OP here.All it took me to get a Junior UNIX sysadmin position in in worldwide large bank was learning linux basics for a few days. And my IT degree probably also helped. I did shit on the test they gave me, but somehow i went through.
>>
no one else to share opinions?
>>
>>59314914

The "Linux" experience is my least problem since I've been using it almost exclusively for more than 2 years now. I think what did it for you was the degree.
>>
>>59314851
>UNIX sysadmin
so you own a mac, .... and?
>>
>>59314851
You will be devops anyway or fired thanks to automatization.
>>
>>59314914
>>59315032
Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.
>>
bamp. Is there any point for sysadmin of 24yo with no programming experience to start learning Python?
>>
>>59315241

By the time you were waiting for answers you could have finished the first chapter in this book.

https://www.pearsonhighered.com/product/Gaddis-Starting-Out-with-Python-3rd-Edition/9780133582734.html
>>
>>59315241

Genuinely question, do you not program on a regular basis as a sysadmin already? I did a year as an admin and half of the job was keeping the system afloat by writing perl scripts to handle weird edge cases before any of the data we were processing even got the programs written by the developers.
>>
>>59314914
>IT Degree
>>59314851
>0 programming experience
how?
>>
>>59314851
>0 programming experience
You never had drunk programmer deploy shit? That's usually when sysadmin forced to learn debugging/profiling and to lesser extent programming
>>
File: 1354715027344.jpg (58KB, 315x288px) Image search: [Google]
1354715027344.jpg
58KB, 315x288px
>>59314851
>navigate filesystem, edit files
Look, Ma! I'm a sysadmin now!
>>
>>59316781
Have the hint of sysadmin.
>>
>>59314851
>sysadmin
>programming
???
>>
>>59315074
>basically GNU with Linux added
Cite? That GNU exceeds MIT, BSD etc in volume on a normal Linux installation, say Ubuntu or Redhat.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.