[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think about Redox OS? Redox is a modern Unix-like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: ZBQhOtH[1].png (466KB, 1072x841px) Image search: [Google]
ZBQhOtH[1].png
466KB, 1072x841px
What does /g/ think about Redox OS? Redox is a modern Unix-like microkernel operating system written in Rust.
>>
File: redox on xps13.jpg (2MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
redox on xps13.jpg
2MB, 4640x3480px
>>59305648
Redox on Dell XPS 13
>>
>Rust
must be slow as fuck
>>
>>59305656
Rust is a language with speed about on par with C. I don't see why Rust would make it slow. It's pretty snappy.
>>
>>59305648
Nothing.
>>
>>59305648
>Anime
Yeah your os is as irrelevant as your life. Fuck off kid.
>>
>>59305648
Post image plz
>>
>>59306578
THIS
>>
>>59305648
That abhorrent anime is absolutely abhorrent.
>>
>>59305648
>microkernel
Trash.
>>
I didn't know you could do useful things with rust
>>
>>59305648
I think holy shit they wrote that fast, when I did a basic UNIX-like OS in C it took me the better part of a year. I was just one guy, but this looks pretty slick for a language that's only a few years old.

>microkernel

based af
>>
>>59305648
I'd like to see NetBSD ported to Rust
>>
>>59305656
Are you retarded?
>>
File: 1460938535801.jpg (74KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1460938535801.jpg
74KB, 512x512px
>>59305648
https://doc.redox-os.org/book/introduction/will_redox_replace_linux.html
>>
>Rust
>Microkernel
>MIT License
>Unix
>Hentai
>Webscale
>Screenfetch
>Literally the gayest shit ever
>>
>>59306870
Nothing wrong with MIT Licence or Rust (except the shills).
>>
Isn't it a little odd if an operating system's primary selling point is just that it's written in language X? Not to say that this isn't cool but it seems like there are a lot of new OS projects popping up that specifically underline that they aren't written in C.
>>
>>59305648
>microkernel
Just about the worst thing they could have done. Looks like 40 years of failures aren't enough of a deterrent. Or Rustfags are actually that dense. I don't know.
>>
>>59305656
>Rust
>Slow
Pick one
>>
>>59307007
There's something I don't understand about their choice. Microkernel's main advantage is robustness (if a driver crashes, the whole OS is still fine), but then they use Rust with the frequent safety meme (even though it's not, let's pretend it is). Why then sacrifice performance by using a microkernel design? Why not write the kernel in an actually safe language such as one with no side-effects?
Also the claim they do in their documentation that we often see Linux crash because of a driver is a blatant lie. If anything it happens at start when wrongly configured.
>>
>>59306870
Pretty much this.
>>
>>59305648
>>
>>59306991
I think it makes sense. Using certain languages might mean that a project is easily serviceable or extensible so I think it's a valid point.
>>
>>59306361
>>59306641
Not my image, just picked it to show off the networking, schemes(this file is not on a local drive but over a booru API, mounted like a local filesystem) and UI.

>>59306578
>>59306603
Will contact the author of the screenshot
>>
>>59305648
Please link source
>>
>>59306603
>>59306578
The artist is wokada.
>>
>>59306870
>not choosing your os because of the screenfetch
what's wrong with you?
>>
>>59305648
Img source: http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=3581153
>>
>>59307161
>>59307192
>>59307215
Thank you. The hair did not disappoint.
>>
>>59307064
If you actually spend time analyzing trends in computer science, both past and present, you'll arrive at a surprising revelation: there's not a lot of science going on.
Most of the so-called "Computer Scientists" are techno priests and their religion is whatever generates the most academic papers at any given point in time.
Remember how Object Oriented Programming was heralded as the be-all, end-all solution for any and all programming woes? Well, it generated an entire industry that, to this day, attempts to solve its shortcomings. How's that for a success?
Similarly with microkernels. It used to be the hottest thing that was easy, reliable, fast, and totally coming next year to a mainframe near you. The High Priests of Academy were jizzing their pants at a mere thought of that wonder.
But microkernels never lived up to the hype. Turns out all that distributed architecture doesn't scale at all and more complicated operations quickly reach insane levels of complexity with a significant overhead. That's why microkernels are usually kept to embedded space and never really reached the big iron production servers.
But since the Holy Church of Microkernel and Latter Day Servers is still going strong, you must never acknowledge any deficiencies and must, in fact, go as far as to blatantly lie in order to drive monolithic infidels out of the Holy Land.
>>
>>59307296
Thanks for your answer. I don't know much about the state of OS research, as far as science is concerned I was lucky to spend my time in a university where most researchers worked more on the mathematical aspect of CS. However you are spot on about the importance of trends, especially the OOP thing. I now remember how everyone suddenly started writing papers describing how perfectly the finite element method could be implemented using this paradigm with C++.
>>
>>59305648
I'll start thinking about it when the ISO gets unfucked and allows me to connect to the network.
>>
>>59307296
Are you only pretending anon?

Microkernels weren't shilled because they were "cool" or "fast" they've stuck around because th e idea is the best way to prevent an OS crash. The reason we don't get these crashes much these days is literally because all kernels (Windows NT, Linux and Darwin) are all hybrid kernels. Which means they've stolen the interesting bits from a microkernel (userland drivers, message queues, etc) and kept the battle tested parts (like memory management) within the kernel gaining the best of both worlds.

So, Monolithic kernels are just as duped of an idea as a microkernel and a Hybrid is the answer.

I don't disagree about OOP
>>
>>59307384
OOP is literally just a language forcing you to use good programming paradigms.

>create abstraction layer
>create functions atop the abstraction
>do implementation with said functions

The problem is that what everyone got from languages like C++ and Java is verboseness and function grouping; two things that can be done in (most) any language.
>>
>>59307296
And functional programming is the new meme now, even though it's old as fuck, it's why every language these days has lambda syntax and high-order functions.
>>
>>59305648
please do not sexualize miku
>>
>>59307710
Did you just read the wikipedia entry on kernels and posted here?

First of all, microkernel advocates often cite meaningless statistics of how fast microkernels are at certain cherry-picked things - notably context switching. "Cool" is pretty consistent with the practice of overhyping it, despite not delivering a single large-scale production microkernel to date. So your first argument is right out.

Second, crashes are actually better than the alternative because you know the system fails consistently, thus preserving the integrity of data (beyond the direct cause of crash, of course). Microkernels, being distributed systems by definition, have well-known difficulties keeping consistency across the system. With increasing complexity, no one can be sure whether the system truly recovered or is actively trying to corrupt everything. Get into clusters, you'll know what I'm talking about very soon.

Finally, "hybrid kernel" is a marketing term made up by Microsoft to sell NT better.
The traditional divide between monolithic and microkernels has always been based on what actually runs in kernelspace.
Microkernels only put the most vital components into kernelspace and everything else must run as servers in userspace.
Monolithic kernels, by contrast, put quite a lot more stuff into kernelspace, for example filesystem code. The reason is convenience and sane design that scales, but that's beside the point.
Now where does a hybrid kernel fit into this? It runs most stuff in kernelspace but some things run in userspace? But monolithic kernels like Linux already do this (FUSE).
And how does NT kernel fit the description of a hybrid kernel anyway? NT kernel actually integrates even things that should never touch kernelspace at all, like a web server, or scroll bars. A more fitting term would be "supermonolithic".
So no, there's no such thing, hybrid kernel is a marketing term.

tl;dr monolithicc for the win
>>
File: 790.png (215KB, 400x352px) Image search: [Google]
790.png
215KB, 400x352px
>>59306361
>complaining about cartoons on a Mongolian cartoons website.
>>
>>59308421
y feed trolls
>>
>>59306801

Are you?
>>
>>59305648
Really fucking hype for redox. Development is a bit slow because they have few devs, but other than that it looks generally solid. Definitely following development close.
>>
>>59306361
>>59306641
Shower
Weights
Clue

Ya pinhead
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.