[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so ummm... live forever through technology?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: cyborg.jpg (241KB, 900x1366px) Image search: [Google]
cyborg.jpg
241KB, 900x1366px
Wouldn't you get bored? Plus riddle me this: if we can make it so we live forever, and put our mind in something else like software, how is that different from say, a soul? as in, it's not provable... so maybe a software version of you isn't provable either and when you get transferred to a cyborg you actually just die, and all you've done is create some posthumous android that acts and talks like you? Sort of like the MJ holograms from "Xscape". I dunno about this whole thing guys... Opinions?
>>
why are you asking this dumb shit on /g/
>>
I think living forever could make a lot of things to lose their meaning, and make general progression of things much slower since we’d have infinite time for that –sort of how elves in Tolkien’s “Silmarillion” have wars during hundreds of years, with tens of years between battles just because they have time (then humans with their short life speed up wars because otherwise they die too soon).

To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if immortals committed suicide because of how most of things important to them lost their meaning.
>>
Tru tru
>>
File: 1481747915671.png (494KB, 777x777px) Image search: [Google]
1481747915671.png
494KB, 777x777px
>>59303264
>>59303665
This shit is too stupid.

When you become a cyborg we can simply remove your ability to feel boring. Those are just instincts made for survival. You will be able to enjoy the same thing forever without getting tired.

And what is a soul? Consciousness is nothing but a hallucination resulted from your nerve reactions
>>
>>59303264
If immortality means being bored to you you just don't have any worthwhile hobbies. I feel like I don't have enough time as it is.
>>
the brain is a living and dying piece of meat. there's no more proof that you're still you and not a passable simulation with replaced parts after a high fever or a concussion.
and just like those situations, as long as it's in question we'll rely on self-reports and our own perception of changes in those who've gone through it.

>>59303665
why fully suicide when you can write yourself to archival storage, with a "reinstall when-" memo? or for that matter with a "reimage from backup" memo, creating a succession of yous who each experience the world anew?
>>
>>59303725
>And what is a soul? Consciousness is nothing but a hallucination resulted from your nerve reactions
this we don’t know until we try, for now it’s all hypothesis
>>
>>59303264

Nobody wants to live forever. Once you hit 60 you really start to feel the old age and from there on youre just on cruise control mode enjoying every minute of your soon to end life.

God willing. I will see you all on the other side.
>>
>>59303665
You are brain dead.
>>
>>59303839
There is no other side, mi fambimbo. The only side is in the ground which is right below your feet.
>>
I don't think you saw my point. I'm saying the soul is NOT a provable thing here. Maybe it's actually not us. we're going to have cyborgs that are walking around, acting like us, saying what we would say, feeling how we would feel, but they won't be the same person. It'll be like a clone sort of... I think it's too risky.
>>
>>59303904

*tips fedora*
>>
>>59303839
this.
>>
>>59303954
>i have no argument so i'll resort to meme spouting: the post
>>
>>59303971

you realize "there is no god" is probably one of the most meme'd meme's to ever exist on 4chan, right? you've completely meme'd yourself out of reality.
>>
>>59304014
Look at you. so scared.
>>
>>59304014
God most likely does not exist in the form most people believe he exists, anyway the argument wasn't even about god existing or not it was about the fact that the only place you'll go after you die is the ground, although your mind will just go blank the second you lose consciousness and after your brain activity ceases forever, so it's just going to be like going to sleep.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.