[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: 1468100369991.gif (941KB, 393x356px) Image search: [Google]
1468100369991.gif
941KB, 393x356px
What happened?
>>
Throwing money at people doesn't allow them to bend the laws of physics
>>
Realistically the only thing you could change is the battery and maybe camera, everything else is on the SoC.
>>
>>59302099
Phones are fashion accessories.
Most people upgrade phones because they want something new, not because they need a better camera or a faster processor.
Upgrading individual parts is good for a very small and niche market not worth the r&d.
>>
File: moto_1475564905289.jpg (96KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
moto_1475564905289.jpg
96KB, 800x450px
>>59302099
>>
>>59302154
>Motorola
Good joke
>>
>>59302164
I had never seen a fad before it had even started until I saw the MOTO MODS
>>
>>59302154
I'd love to have a Moto Z with the projector thingie
>>
File: Screenshot_20170308-090123.png (902KB, 1440x1929px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170308-090123.png
902KB, 1440x1929px
>>59302235
>>59302216
LOL
>>
>>59302120
Unrealistically dumb post.
>>
>>59302099
Phones got good enough so you don't need to upgrade every year making a modular phone pointless. It also hurt that they kept limiting the modules that could be changed.
>>
File: HPE_CTS-V_front.jpg (74KB, 932x524px) Image search: [Google]
HPE_CTS-V_front.jpg
74KB, 932x524px
>>59302916
My negro do you know the latency involved with separating all the parts like that
>>
>>59303917
My PC is spread out and still works.
>>
Reality.
>>
>>59302164
>Motorola

Lenovo got you covered goy
>>
cost would be absurd because the manufacturing process is brand new instead of neatly baking everything onto a small motherboard.
>>
File: Pho_Obj_ModularSmartPhone.jpg (42KB, 727x484px) Image search: [Google]
Pho_Obj_ModularSmartPhone.jpg
42KB, 727x484px
LG and and Motorola tried out Gimped/badly marketed versions of the concept and google got cold feet. Personally I think its a mistake and the idea will come back around in a few years but for now were stuck with iphone clones, thats just how it is.
>>
>>59303917
...are you actually mentally disabled, bud?
>>
The idiot "designer" who came up with the fad was so detached with engineering that in the end it obviously was not going to work.
>>
>>59302154
literally the only practical mod that came out for this was the wireless charging mod.

adding a zoom to a mediocre camera for several hundred dollars doesnt sound like a good idea. adding a huge speaker to the back is stupid when bluetooth speakers are already cheap.
I dont know about the projector, but for $300 I can bet the picture quality isnt worth that price.
>>
I could see something like the pc building market where you have a mainboard for your phone and you can change out CPU, memory, etc. Maybe have to solder it in, who knows. I don't see convenient blocks that work like legos though.
>>
SoCs are currently too integrated, too closed-source, and not upstreamed enough.

Making a SoC that was open enough to work reliably in this wasn't within Project Ara's budget.

They also had serious problems with the connect fabric, and of course it doesn't gel well with many people wanting phones to be thin or waterproof - Ara could never be that.

The magnetic connectors were cool, however - the mechanical engineering was good, the electronic end not so much. But in the end, the big problem - like with Project Glass and the OMAP division being axed - was software.
>>
Is no one really going to point out that releasing a phone that you can repair and upgrade is bad for your bottom line?

It is simply in the greater interest of companies who only want to make money to keep making expensive all-in-one phones and sell them on big contracts, modularity is only an anomaly that has miraculously been retained somehow in the home PC market only because it managed to catch on in earlier simpler times and users absolutely demand it for that market.

Time and time again companies have tried to shill all-in-one PCs and failed only due to pushback from the enthusiast market wanting to retain the convenience that modularity provides and companies have begrudgingly capitulated due to the limited size of the market.

I'm sure the only reason this concept was entertained was probably due to suspicion that a rival would develop the same thing and actually release it and that actually catching on. It would be most phone manufacturer's worst nightmares for this thing to come out and see success hence why corporate collusion even exists.
>>
>>59303961
Your PC is directly powered from the wall
>>
>>59305391
isn't fairphone kinda doing that, though?
>>
>>59305194
Having external batteries that you can hotswap sounds practical as hell to me tbqh.
>>
The biggest problem was the motherboard, which these idiots didn't even consider.
>>
>>59305194
Landscape QWERTY keyboard.
>>
It's fundamentally a bad idea. That's what happened.
>>
>>59302099
reality
>>
>>59306216
we already have those, and they work with every phone no proprietary bullshit required.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=power+bank
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.