[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Route to Becoming God-tier at C++

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

File: Ed0.jpg (67KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ed0.jpg
67KB, 1920x1200px
Long story short, I think the company I work at (aerospace contracting firm) is about to go under. I've done a ton of coding (mainly automating boring tasks everyone everyone has to put up with) so even though I'm technically an aerospace eng, I've found myself really wanting to get my next job at a place that combines engineering and programming.

I've got good contacts for a really awesome company that makes aircraft analysis software but the only problem is that they're only looking for people that have a commanding grasp of C++/OpenGL and something called Fox Toolkit.

So my main question is, as someone who's very comfortable with the logic/algorithms behind coding in a few languages (C#, Swift, Javascript), what is the quickest route to God-tier understanding of C++/OpenGL?

Bonus points if you can tell me wtf Fox Toolkit is without me having to fucking read all of this right now:
http://www.fox-toolkit.org/
>>
>>59299249
(1/2)
It's kind of like QT. It's multiplatform gui library.
>>
>>59299249
>what is the quickest route to God-tier understanding of [BLANK]?
Year of practice and the ability to learn on your own.

>I'm technically an aerospace eng,
It is odd that someone who is 'technically' and engineer would come to an anime imageboard and ask about shortcuts to learning a new skill. There is no best method of learning. If you have the experience that you claim then dive in.

>if you can tell me wtf [BLANK] is without me having to fucking read
That's the spirit!

Snark aside. There are no shortcuts. There is no best route, tutorial, class...you just have to dig in. Put in the work (see also *read*). When you run into issues, use your favorite search engine to find the solution.

Good luck Anon.
>>
>>59299290
(2/2)
1. Read https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/c++/ it'll teach you c++ head first.
2. Familiarize yourself with making stuff with c++
a. Create simple programs to help you learn the language.
b. Look at other people's code. Look at both small and large projects and how they are organised.
3. Start following opengl tutorials.
>WARNING Make sure they are for modern opengl.
Old opengl is pretty different
4. Start making your own simple opengl programs.
For your simple programs, pick something just out of your reach. After doing as much as you can on your own, look up online how other people do it. Each one of these projects should teach you something.
Eventually play around with fox toolkit and make something.

BONUS POINTS: Make a program that combines c++, opengl, and fox toolkit to show off your skills set in case they want to see something. Even if they don't ask you get experience working with all three together.
>>
File: Ed1.jpg (288KB, 1920x1080px)
Ed1.jpg
288KB, 1920x1080px
>>59299423

Thanks for the response.

Just to clarify, I understand that there won't be any shortcuts to becoming competent using a new language and tools associated with that language.

I'm predominately asking for opinions as to what are regarded as the best textbooks/sources of which to learn from because as of now, I just googled "how to learn C++" and went with one of the first links to start getting accustomed to a new syntax.

As for you taking shots at me for asking if someone has a handy explanation/summary of Fox Toolkit via your feigned praise, put yourself in my position: you've got 3-4 months to become more than competent in a new language and you're committed to doing just that but realize that there will be a massive amount of reading + trial and error.

If I can accelerating conceptualizing some of this or hear the views of someone who's used this tool before, it'd be well worth posting on this anime imageboard.
>>
File: FookinNiceM8.png (161KB, 200x300px)
FookinNiceM8.png
161KB, 200x300px
>>59299452
Good shit Anon! This is the kind of direction I was hoping to find.

As a follow up question, what are the main differences between modern and old OpenGL in your opinion? Is it syntax/structure/implementation? I'll look it up if you don't get around to responding but thank you again for the info.
>>
>>59299567
old opengl does like glbegin draws some shit glend
new opengl uses vbos and shaders

of course that's way oversimplifying it but you need to understand they are different. Modern opengl is pretty much anything after 3.0.
>>
>>59299527
>3-4 months to become more than competent in a new language
After 3-4 months you will still be a beginner.

Nothing you do will change that fact. That doesn't mean you throw your hands up and give up. It just means you need realistic expectations.

>If I can accelerating conceptualizing
You aren't going to accelerate the pace at which you absorb information because you discover some special source. Doesn't mean you give up. It just means you stop wasting time searching for a magical unicorn. Again, asking for "The best textbook/source/tutorial" is going to be a waste of your time.

There are no shortcuts. What you need is time and dedication.

Again, good luck.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/204553/best-programming-guides-ever/
>>
File: tragicjohnson.jpg (44KB, 300x180px)
tragicjohnson.jpg
44KB, 300x180px
>>59299620

>Be random kid
>Watch people play basketball
>Decide I would like to become good at basketball
>Heard someone say once that seeking the best source/tutorial to learn something is a waste of time
>Decide to just aimlessly practice everyday since it doesn't matter as long as I put in the time
>mfw my neighbor Jamal has famous Dindu Johnson as a tutor
>think about what an idiot he is for only spending 2 hours a day while I spend 8 hours everyday practicing

>be afterschool
>Jamal asks if I wanna play him
>magicalunicornbelievingchump.cpp
>Tell him that he's on and to prepare for a certified bball raping courtesy of all my hard work and dedication

>mfw when Jamal crosses me up and breaks my fucking ankles
>mfw I should have spent more time seeking out the proper manner in which to learn bball
>mfw Dindu Johnson told me to install gentoo or an hero after Jamal dunked on me
>>
fuck off CIA nigger
>>
>>59299772
fake and gay
>>
File: implying.gif (2MB, 500x500px)
implying.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>59299826
>>
File: 1452630382599-sp.jpg (69KB, 627x517px)
1452630382599-sp.jpg
69KB, 627x517px
>>59299849
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.