[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using multi-core GPUs in an SOC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: PowerVR-GT7900.png (348KB, 2781x2243px) Image search: [Google]
PowerVR-GT7900.png
348KB, 2781x2243px
What are the challenges in designing games for hardware using multi-cluster or multi-core GPUs in an SoC? Why hasn't anyone made a game console out of a ARM processor using a multi-core GPU SoC?

Pic related is vaporware; despite being announced in 2014, no one seems to have released any products using the PowerVR GT7900 despite theoretically able to generate 1 TFLOPS in a small package.
>>
Power consumption and heat may be factors, also cost then. Maybe it's cheaper to do an APU or other GPU in small builds vs a PVR/ARM SoC.
>>
because it's harder to pull off and get right
>>
>>59298353
Because the industry hates change, and risks.
>>
Bro amd APU's are basically exactly this, including those in the xbone and ps4. They're a combination of weak CPU cores and a cluster (I believe somewhere in the HD7850 ballpark if memory serves) of GCN GPU "cores," or Compute Units as AMD calls em. The chips also share a pool of GDDR5 memory between the GPU and CPU portions respectively.

I couldn't comment on how similar or dissimilar this is to a traditional desktop, but the slew of terrible console ports suggests it's far from perfectly seamless.

A better question is how realistic is an ARM variant in this configuration? The answer is unless AMD does it, not very. The desktop grade CPU and GPU markets aren't just hard to get in because of stiff competition, Intel, Nvidia, and AMD hold countless patents on the technologies that define these devices from which industry trends and standards are based. I point to AMD because they have the groundwork in both camps laid out already and they've mentioned a passing interest in ARM in the past.

Furthermore, ARM's strengths lie namely in the mobile market. In that area, the "multicore" arrangement familiar to desktop GPU's of today might be highly inefficient much like x86 is. An approach proven effective in one application doesn't exactly suggest universal capability.

Tl;dr it's probably not worth it to make such a device to begin with, let alone code for it.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.