[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have only seen it used by librefags, mathfags and autistic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: zHFFO.png (37KB, 1862x892px) Image search: [Google]
zHFFO.png
37KB, 1862x892px
I have only seen it used by librefags, mathfags and autistic people. My computational numeracy and mathematics professor in university used to give +5% credits to those who used it for their assignments.

Has it become a meme yet? If not, why not turn it into one? More hipsters should use it and embrace it just like they have done w/ emacs & arch.
>>
Latex isn't a meme, it's just a good way of making nice looking papers.
>>
>>59290874
It looks professional, which is what everyone people want for important papers like CVs and scientific reports.
>>
>>59290874
>implying hipsters use emacs over vim

nice meme
>>
File: photo_2017-03-07_23-28-27.jpg (89KB, 1000x738px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-03-07_23-28-27.jpg
89KB, 1000x738px
>>59290874
fixed that for you
>>
>>59290874
Yea sucessful people that actually make it in academia and need to write technical or scientific papers since they were able to pass the intro classes
>>
>>59290874

All university around my place makes it mandatory to write in TEX.
>>
I don't get it, is it just like word but with more superscripts?
>>
File: 1451931791211.jpg (120KB, 1280x714px) Image search: [Google]
1451931791211.jpg
120KB, 1280x714px
>>59290874
Is there an XML equivalent? Something that sticks to those standards and doesn't require you to learn a completely different language?

Also, why are the packages for latex so big? 2GB on linux for a compiler for word document, what gives?
>>
>>59291243
It also makes you feel like mega-smart hacker academician faggot-ultra-lord. The same feeling when you have achieved to exit vim or booted arch linux for the first time. Why choose an easier human-friendly way when you can flaunt by hacking and shit, right?

Customers who bought it also bought:
>memepv
>install-gentoo
>>
>>59291459
>OP is feeling cornered now, don't look into his eyes
>>
Yeah, just a 32 year old meme that's now the defacto standard for all math, physics and CS papers.

kys
>>
>>59291459
ikr, no way anyone would use it because it's a good tool or anything, it's because of all the reasons you made up
>>
>>59291243
It's a markup language for typesetting, as well as a set of libraries.

It divorces content and form, unlike something like Word where they're integrated into one. In LaTeX, you type the text any way you like, and use the markup language to tell it how to format things. This gives you greater control.

There are a shitload of useful libraries that add support for math typesetting, graph drawing, smart references, and tons of other stuff. That's where LaTeX really shines, when you want to do stuff that's really difficult or impossible in a regular word processor.

It also just makes really pretty documents.
>>
>>59290874
I started using it for college and was just starting to get into it when I graduated. Since then I haven't needed to typeset anything.
>>
>>59291459
>It also makes you feel like mega-smart hacker academician faggot-ultra-lord
honestly, this. feels good desu
>>
>>59290874
its perfect for

>Thesis
>Scientific articles
>CVs
>Reports
>Legal documents
>Technical datasheets
>Really long documents

especially for the last one, where word just shits itself
>>
>>59290874
i can't imagine writing my engineer or masters degree in a word/open office
with tex/latex you roam like a pirate, it's a blessing and a must for professional papers.

what are you, a retard?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.