[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CALLING ALL AUDIOPHILES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (116KB, 496x422px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
116KB, 496x422px
What difference do the difference microphone arrangements make, if any? Are there any advantages to one or the other?

Thanks for the help.
>>
*difference do the different
>>
>>59290414
>>59290423
they make a huge difference

i'm an audio engineer for classical music

it all depends on what you're after; the x-y layout on the left of your image creates a very tight stereo soundstage, ie. the difference of a subject being far left or far right isn't too audible, but with a setup on the right you get a much larger stereo image.

what are you trying to record?
>>
>>59290559
>stereo image
I'm not too familiar with this term, could you elaborate?

I want one for two purposes, one, to record my cat, this would be at a very close range, two, is to record me speaking. Thanks.
>>
>>59290605
how good do you need the sound quality? if it's just some voice recordings these ones are overkill

stereo image is just the perceived spatial locations of the sound source, both laterally and in depth; something with a wide stereo image means you can very distinctly hear a sound source from the left and one from the right, they sound very far apart; a smaller stereo image means they sound much close together and it's harder to differentiate. just think, the tighter/smaller a stereo image, the more mono it sounds
>>
>>59290667
>how good do you need the sound quality? if it's just some voice recordings these ones are overkill
Well I was wanting to use it for voice overs for youtube videos, rather than just taking notes, I was hoping for rather good sound quality. Which out of these two would you go for given the usage that I have described? Is one better than the other?
>>
>>59290704
out of these two definitely the one on the left; you don't want it to sound like your voice is coming from harsh angles, you want it to sound like it's coming from a central source

i'd also recommend https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h4n-handy-recorder

it's pretty universal for handheld portable recorders
>>
File: 1488904573806.jpg (12KB, 426x382px) Image search: [Google]
1488904573806.jpg
12KB, 426x382px
>>59290414
Those are asmr microphones
>>
>>59290739
Thank you very much for your help, I'll save up and go for the one on the left.

>>59290752
u wot m8?
>>
File: zucarelli3[1].jpg (72KB, 964x640px) Image search: [Google]
zucarelli3[1].jpg
72KB, 964x640px
I use a zoom h4n with an xy pattern like the mic on your left. It creates a stereo recording (left and right) but if you isolate the left channel, it pretty much has all the same sounds as the right channel, just very slightly different in terms of strength of certain frequencies. if you play both channels together like a proper stereo recording it sounds fantastic but you don't really get a sense of what sounds are on the left and what is on the right. both channels sounds slightly different but they sound huge together.
The mic on the right will have very different left and right recordings, and will probably give a better aural illusion effect with headphones

For voice work I'd use an x-y pattern so your listeners don't get all your voice through their left speaker or right speaker, depending on very subtle positional changes of the mic. get the one on the left for spoken words if the speaker is standing facing the mic

the one on the right would probably be better if you were recording a lecture in a large lecture hall, or if you were capturing atmospheric recordings outside.

imho the x-y pattern is actually better for just about everything except aural illusion recordings, but those are best recorded on extremely frightening looking anthropomorphized microphones
>>
Thanks.

>>59290850
>just very slightly different in terms of strength of certain frequencies
How do you mean?
>>
>>59290896
I didn't mean it like it came out. the signal strength of different frequencies isn't different b/w the two mics

Its just the way their pointed, one mic will pic up a sound off to the side a bit stronger than the other mic, and that channel will have a louder recording of that specific event off to the side. the mic that is facing away will still pick it up but not as loud. so when you combine the two tracks it creates an illusion of space. without the illusion of position. if that makes sense

I use my h4n to record a grand piano. so my events that happen off to the side are either the highest notes or the lowest notes. thats why I commented about frequencies, but that probably won't apply to you at all
>>
>>59290559
>>59290850
>>59290739
>>59290977
Thank you both for your very informative posts, I'll go for the one on the left.
>>
>>59290786
This shit is asmr

youtube.com/watch?v=eEyolL79770
>>
>>59291024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjHghH7crFk

Check out this comparison video between the cheaper Zoom H1 and the more expensive ones. I only own the H1 since I don't need the xlr input connections and I only use the H1 to record meetings / interviews etc. in which it's little bit more handier because of its size / easy to use controls. I hear that people like to buy several H1 if they want to record different people speaking in events while using 3,5mm input on a lavalier microphone setup.
>>
>>59291139
btw OP headphones are pretty much required with asmr recordings.
that's the shit I was talking about with aural illusion and anthropomorphized mics

what is this like an art genre now? I don't have headphones so I think the vid is probably lost on me, but I really like the idea of watching somebody and hearing the sounds from their perspective
>>
File: zoom-upgrade[1].jpg (308KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
zoom-upgrade[1].jpg
308KB, 1920x1080px
>>59291242
H1 is also really popular in the film world
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.