[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is Linux an OS or is RMS just a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20170303_161310.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170303_161310.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
So is Linux an OS or is RMS just a meme?
>>
Not an OS.
The creator of the kernel even admits it, he just says:
>Uhhh... But you can name it whatever you want!
>>
>>59280636
Both?
>>
>>59280636
Linux is OS, GNU is just userland

The design of the UNIX operating system, Maurice J. Bach, Prentice/Hall, 1986, page 4

>The operating system interacts directly with the hardware, providing common services to programs and insulating them from hardware idiosyncrasies. Viewing the system as a set of layers, the operating system is commonly called the system kernel, or just the kernel, emphasizing its isolation from user programs. Because programs are independent of the underlying hardware, it is easy to move them between UNIX systems running on different hardware if the programs do not make assumptions about the underlying hardware.
>>
>>59280636

>tfw you have to give the wrong answers to succeed in the world of formal education
>>
>>59280636
In all academic contexts, Linux is an OS.
If you were given a task to write an OS, you would write stuff that falls under Linux long before you would write anything related to gnu.

But when you are talking about the OS as a platform, it becomes gnu/Linux.
Linux in itself cannot run the applications most people think of as user applications.

A different OS that uses the Linux kernel is android.
It is a different OS from a users perspective, but if you talk about memory management and so on, it is the same OS.
>>
so Linux is the command line thing and GNU is the graphical thing where we click things?
>>
>>59283752
No it's more like the program execution environment. As >>59283330 said, Linux manages the hardware-software interaction at the level of a standalone operating system, but you require GNU for the user interaction, which may or may not be in GUI
>>
>>59283239
>Kernel = OS
lol
>>
>>59280636
Linux is Kernel not an OS.
GNU/Linux is OS
>>
>>59283239
This would make both MAC OS and Microsoft Vista wrong as their OSes would be Mach/XNU and NT.
>>
File: why_rms_sucks.jpg (190KB, 1000x898px) Image search: [Google]
why_rms_sucks.jpg
190KB, 1000x898px
Linux is an operating system created by Linus Torvalds. Pic related then claimed credit.
>>
>>59280636
Yes.
>>
>>59285076
GNU + Linux pleb
>>
>>59280636
You can run Linux without any gnu added in.
>>
>>59285062
>OS = OS + apps
lol
>>
Microsoft Word counts as an operating system because its storage formats, especially OLE Compound Format, is a small scale replica of a (FAT) file system. :^)
http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/OLE_Compound_File

By the way, this is a nice tool collection to deal with that format:
https://github.com/decalage2/oletools
>>
>>59280636
>current year
>not using Microsoft Word OS
>>
>>59286792
I'd love to see you try, scrub.
>>
>>59286846
>apps
lel

Are you claiming that Windows Vista and Mac OS X are not OSes then?

>>59286711
Are you claiming that Windows Vista and Mac OS X are not OSes then?

>>59286792
And? You can run GNU without any linux added in.
>>
>>59286973
Are you claiming that TempleOS is not an OS? It's just a kernel, you know.
>>
>>59280788
I mean, he's right, you can name things whatever you want. There's no such thing as GNU/Linux, it's called Linux. If you don't have the freedom to name your products than you don't have freedom. RMS is a hack trying to bandwagon off of Linux's popularity.
>>
>>59280636
ok let's settle this once and for all:

Linux - a kernel that interacts with the Hardware such as mapping disc sectors to interact with the file system. Handles I/O and memory allocation. It's job is to translate the software operations to hardware commands. it essentially operates the system.

GNU/Web Browsers/Desktop Environments - software tools the user uses to interact with the operating system

Linux = an operating system
GNU = a collection of programs that are compatible with the Linux Operating System
>>
>2017
>he still doesn't use systemd/Linux
>>
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>59286867
stop using /g/ to advertise your silly github pet projects
>>
>>59287075
>Linux - a kernel ...
>Linux = an operating system
You don't see anyone calling XNU or the NT an operating system though..
Also from wikipedia:
>An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs.
so if we're getting techincal about it then wouldn't GNU be the operating system?

I think it's basically impossible for Linux or GNU/Linux or whatever you want to call it to be classified so generally as an 'operating system' because there's much more to it since it's not manufactured and distributed by one company, it's a lot harder to wrap it up in a nice little box and say it's [whatever]OS
>>
>>59286711
free software is communism and rms is stalin
>>
File: 35843465.jpg (112KB, 1300x1183px) Image search: [Google]
35843465.jpg
112KB, 1300x1183px
>let's waste our time discussing semantics instead of actual facts: the thread
>>
>>59280788
"Hello everybody out there using minix –

I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I’d like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).

I’ve currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I’ll get something practical within a few months, and
I’d like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won’t promise I’ll implement them

Linus ([email protected])

PS. Yes – it’s free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that’s all I have :-(."
>free OS
>>
>>59287264
You say that as if it was a bad thing.
>>
File: bc0.png (857KB, 768x714px) Image search: [Google]
bc0.png
857KB, 768x714px
>>59287322
>GNU
>professional
>>
Why doesn't Linus just replace the GNU parts so thing autism can end? Clearly RMS, FSF and GNU are irrelevant and outdated, just make your own userland. Of course the GNU shit would have to be kept for a while to support legacy hardware, but moving on from GNU would be an important step for Linux.
>>
question: what parts of GNU still remain in most Linux distros?
>>
>>59287448
Because Linux is already a dying outdated OS which will be replaced by something more modern like Redox withing the decade. It's simply not worth the effort.
>>
>>59287075
Linux is not an operating system as defined by POSIX.
>>
>>59287384
>all these sysadmins who use GNU in their Solaris are fools
>>
>>59288684
>all two of them
>>
>>59286905
Have you used a phone lately kiddo?
>>
>>59288817
>completely GCC based Android
Nice way to fail, fagtron.
>>
>>59287482
(You)
>>
File: 1488649627847.jpg (237KB, 850x1133px) Image search: [Google]
1488649627847.jpg
237KB, 850x1133px
Linux is a kernel.

But you never use it as just a kernel, even when you add something simple like busybox or the tiniest shell it becomes an OS.

DOS has a kernel.
Windows has a kernel.
macOS has a kernel.

You don't see people asking if ntoskrnl is a OS.
>>
>>59287322
He made a kernel, ported bash to it and together he made an OS.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.