[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

eGPUs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_7468.png (160KB, 640x494px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7468.png
160KB, 640x494px
Red pill me on eGPUs /g/ would it be a good way of turning my ultrabook into a gayming laptop?
>>
File: stap.jpg (5KB, 236x182px) Image search: [Google]
stap.jpg
5KB, 236x182px
>just the GPU enclosure costs $600 then another $600 for the actual GPU
>you can build a powerful desktop for that $
>cheaper to buy a 1060/1070 pascal laptop straight up
>>
>>59267584
What if I already have a GPU
>>
>>59267544
They're useless garbage until they're affordable. I'd give em 100 bucks for case + power supply.
>>
>>59267608
Then you need a $2000 laptop with thunderbolt 3 and the $500 egpu case. Congrats. You just spent heaps of money to make a stationary gaming setup.
>>
>>59267608
Then build a normal desktop PC around it. Cause laptops are meant to be portable and you're not going to carry the fucking massive GPU and its case around, are you?
>>
>>59267544
Wait until someone releases one for $400 or less, but if you absolutely need it, buy it. There's not many other options for boosting your ultrabook gayming performance.

If you already have a good GPU it's cheaper than buying a gaymin laptop on sale ($1000-1200 gtx 1060, $1400-1600 gtx 1070).

gayming laptops aren't a meme anymore tho imo, pascal laptops are beasts.
>>
>>59267608
ur still wasting 600.
bottleneck and fps drops inc.
>>
>>59267693
>gaming laptops aren't a meme
You serious?
>>
>>59267544
You may as well have a fucking e-PC, and use your laptop as a monitor.

Useless garbage, never buy one.
>>
>>59267693
>if you absolutely need it
I can think of zero likely scenarios in which anyone would need an external GPU enclosure.
>>
>>59267737
If they don't want a desktop and don't want to lug around a super beefy gayming laptop
>>
>>59267693
There already is one, Akitio Node.

It's quite barebones as it has no I/O except for the thunderbolt input and your GPU output. It sells for around 300$ so its not that bad of a deal.
>>
cool concept but you're better off just having a self built desktop or a gaming laptop
>>
>>59267737
LAN parties, maybe.
>>
Main issue is indirect sometimes: The CPU often caps. I have an i7 sandy bridge on a laptop which is still a strong machine but it caps on anything above 1-thread or 2-thread use.
and it doesn't just need dedusting.
>>
>>59267544
The enclosure forces you to become stationary. At that point you might as well buy a separate desktop.

You get amazing price performance in desktops too.
>>
>>59267783
>don't want to lug around a super beefy gayming laptop
How's lugging around a beefy case with a GPU inside that you have to plug to the main power any different?
>>
>>59267831
GPU enclosures are significantly more portable than even mini itx desktops. You may be stationary but relocating isn't nearly as cumbersome.
>>
>>59267783
>>59267707
>If they don't want a desktop
There's where someone went full retard and can't explain why, whether practically or financially.
>>
>>59267707
Well the shit ones are. I'd replace my desktop with a 1070 laptop no problem, and they're on sale for like ~$1450, not too bad compared to the 980m days of $2500 shittops that barely competed with desktop components.
>>
You can get the "chinkdelux" setup on a budget, cheapie mpcie to pcie x16, pico 6 pin power connector usually comes with it, then slap in a low power card like a 1050ti

I did it with a gt 210 for my ThinkPad t42
Its near aids tier performance but a lot better than the mobile radeon 7500
>>
>>59267783
>If they don't want a desktop
Why wouldn't they want a PC, but would want an external GPU enclosure? Where is the rationale?

There isn't enough space in their 30,000 litre room?
>>
>>59267865
Problem is that they cost the same as a fucking mini ITX desktop.

Can someone explain that btw.? What is in there that is so expensive?
>>
>>59267865
Dan A4 SFX is smaller than the Razer eGPU case, Node 202 is larger but not by much.
>>
>>59267888
Nothing has expressport nowadays that ca n externally use pcie.
Besides TB
>>
The ultimate brainfuck redpill: it works fine
you'll be CPU limited in CPU-heavy games but otherwise you'll get pretty good performance, it's definitely worth it if you want a midrange card and you don't want to build an entire PC.
>>
>>59267920
Except that you're a full retard if you don't want to build an entire PC. That "don't want" is meaningless and stupid.
>>
>>59267907
>that tiny case
I'd hate to imagine how hot those components get under load.
>>
>>59267693
>pascal laptops are beasts.
Yeah, because nvidia upped the TDP, AGAIN. I can't believe mobile GPUs actually got WORSE. As our great leader would say, SAD.
>>
>>59267939
>That "don't want" is meaningless and stupid.
Shut up you stupid little child, there are many cases where it makes sense to pick up a midrange GPU to use with your laptop and save yourself some money. Not all of us spend 12 hours a day playing video games.
>>
>>59267957
The Razer eGPU case is almost the same size and has a PSU and GPU stuffed in it, it's not that much better. Therefore it's a stupid reason to say the Razer case is significantly better if you're talking about thermals. Secondly, that tiny case has been thermally tested.
>>
>>59267939
Not really, look at it this way. With a full fledged desktop you're pretty much bound to a single location (within a degree of convenience) unless you invest in a mini itx setup which has its problems too. I see eGPUs appealing to people that don't want to be restricted to one place without sacrificing too much performance. Also having the GPU outside the laptop helps with weight, heat, battery life and overall portability of your laptop.
>>
>>59267981
The only thing that works with eGPU is shitty old Thinkpads and Razer laptops. Nobody want to buy those junk just to use an eGPU. "Many cases", huh?
>>
>>59267957
Do you realise the irony of this post in a gaymen laptop thread? They're not magical and now they deal with a combined TDP north of 200 watts with AT MOST two fans. The two tiny case are quite well cooled by comparison as most builds would have at least three fans.
>>
>>59267984
I never specifically mentioned the razer case, the core isn't the only enclosure in the market. Also the lack of a CPU will significantly bring down the thermals in the enclosure compared to the itx case.
>>
>>59267821
yep. mobile computers are not ideal for high workloads because they can't exhaust the heat fast enough. i have an i7 6600U in my Yoga X1 and it only does you so much good when the fan can only run so much air to cool the thing down.

>>59267905
portability is key. as far as price, even if you have USB-C on a computer, that's still no guarantee of eGPU support. the market is tiny and willing to pay a premium so they're charging oodles now.

as more laptops become thunderbolt via USB type C compatible and the market grows, ideally the price will drop.
>>
>>59267857
I imagine these for students. Gaming setupnin dorm. Takes lappy to class where they dont need gpu. Why this so hard to imagine? Who da fuck would carry around the gpu box ya tard.
>>
>>59267687
Back in my day we made our own eGPU setups, and it was a lot fucking cheaper. You can DIY, you don't need a Razer™ GamerCase™ eGPU SPEED MOUNT™
>>
>>59268038
>yep. mobile computers are not ideal for high workloads because they can't exhaust the heat fast enough. i have an i7 6600U in my Yoga X1 and it only does you so much good when the fan can only run so much air to cool the thing down.
Yeah I figured it was kinda a waste of money to not be MAX a 4core/4thread.
Those machines are probably most optimal with a 2core/2thread sadly.
I haven't fully de-dusted the vents lately to retest but I doubt it's that.
>>
>>59268141
>Those machines are probably most optimal with a 2core/2thread sadly.
*2core/4thread I meant
>>
>>59268095
Not that guy but for the cost of these things you might as well build a desktop instead and have that in addition to your laptop. Gaymen laptops, while retarded, at least have the veneer of "portability"
>>
>>59268210
It's easier to move a GPU enclosure to places especially if it's for decent but not lengthy breaks. Who wants to lug a desktop from campus back home on breaks?
>>
>>59268376
The easy answer: don't play vidji when you're home on break and spend some time with your family.
>>
File: IMG_7235.gif (972KB, 500x555px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7235.gif
972KB, 500x555px
>>59268530
>>
>>59268376
See >>59267907
Do you really want to "lug" a heavy e GPU with you anon? Either way, you're talking about setting up something semi stationary.
>>
>>59268791
If I get a desktop I sacrifice my ultrabook usage. You seem to be forgetting the array of peripherals involved in contemporary desktop use.
>>
>>59267544
I did some research and it seems egpus are only worth investing in if you get the video card for free or scrapped from a different project. Typically the pci-e or thunderports on existing laptops limit the bandwidth so you only get a fraction of the performance from the videocard. - wasting the money

Still there are egpu kits that cost maybe 80$ W/o a power supply.

I think egpus will be more common in 5yrs.
>>
>>59268822
The only extra peripherals you need are the keyboard and the monitor. If you're gaming on a laptop I assume you already have headphones and mouse. I don't get what "sacrifice my ultrabook usage" means. The only things that matter is the amount of money spent vs the equipment you get. Your OCD about using the same equipment 100% of the time is pointless OCD.
>>
>>59267544
laptop CPU will most likely bottleneck your gpu
>>
i feel an egpu setup only really makes sense at the lower end, if you already happen to have a compatible laptop and a loose gpu in the parts drawer. used x220 ($120, but maybe you already had something with an accessible pcie lane being productive for you), exp gdc beast adapter ($50), power adapter ($15), 750 ti (free from a friends old desktop), and now you can play overwatch at a decent quality on a computer that wouldn't even start it before.

much more than that, and you're starting to throw money into a hole that could go towards a better solution, like a real ass desktop or (god forbid) a gaming laptop. those thunderbolt enclosures seem like way too much for a use case which i define as "have a game run *okay* on a shitty laptop that wouldn't do it otherwise, for not a lot of money"
>>
>>59269100
Desktop:
Highest performance
No, to severely impeded, mobility
External monitor and keyboard required not to mention copious cables

eGPU+Ultrabook:
Less performance
Lightweight, long battery life as you don't always need to use the GPU
Relatively more portable

It's not hard to see how the desktop is more powerful but on that same token it's not hard to see how the eGPU+ultrabook is more portable.
>>
>>59269110
Doesn't matter much at higher resolutions.
>>
>>59269189
You seem to be saying that the desktop means that you can't get a laptop. Also I like that you repeatedly use an Intel marketing term.

In reality, the external GPU is so expensive that you can simply replace the eGPU with a desktop and keep your Intel buzzwordbook.
>>
>>59269189
Firstly, the argument is Desktop + ultrabook vs eGPU + ultrabook.
Having a desktop means you're free to use any laptop of your choice, not those limited to having pci-express or thunderbolt ports.
Secondly, a Node 202 case will be as portable as any PSU + eGPU setup.
Thirdly, there are actually portable 15.6" and 17.3" inches portable monitors if you know where to look.
>>
>>59269273
Ul·tra·book
ˈəltrəˌbo͝ok/
nountrademark
noun: ultrabook; plural noun: ultrabooks
a thin, lightweight form of laptop having similar functionality to an ordinary laptop but lacking some of its hardware features.
"if I want a PC I will buy a desktop and if I want something more portable I'll buy an Ultrabook"

I use it because it's a widely recognized term for a lightweight, thin laptop
>>
>>59269273
>>59269276
You both seem to be ignoring all I said about monitors, keyboards and wires in regards to overall portability. Even disregarding the size of the desktop case an eGPU+Ultrabook setup is inherently more portable. Price is literally the only concern here.
>>
>>59269325
>Cherrypicking an unofficial definition to suit your needs
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85334015&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

It's literally an Intel trademark.
>>
>>59269361
It LITERALLY says "noun TRADEMARK" in the definition I gave. Regardless I fail to see what this has to do with the topic being discussed. Just because Intel came up with it means it's somehow inferior?
>>
>>59269355
Are you really going to use an eGPU with the built in keyboard? Seriously? The same goes for the screen. Also, there's this new thing called "bluetooth" now. I think it's a dental disease that makes people allergic to wires, you should check it out.
>Price is literally the only concern here.
If price is literally the only concern then the rest of your post is irrelevant, unless you're using the word for emphasis in which case please die in a fire.
>>
>>59269355
The extra size difference is an extra monitor and keyboard and their wires.
There are inherent advantages to having two separate systems due to the poor availability of replacement parts of a laptop. They make up for the size differences.
>>
>>59269416
>Regardless I fail to see what this has to do with the topic being discussed. Just because Intel came up with it means it's somehow inferior?
This is being discussed because you repeatedly used a buzzword instead of the word laptop and then ignored everything else when that was pointed out to you. You've ignored several points from both myself and the other anon(s) just to get annoyed at someone for pointing out your buzzword use.
>>
>>59269433
>>59269440
I'm literally only advocating for eGPU+Ultrabooks in the case of optimal portability while maintaining decent graphical performance (inb4 gaymen laptop), obviously if you don't need to move around much and don't mind spending a lot of time setting up desktops are superior in every way.
>>
>>59269472
All ultrabooks are laptops but not all laptops are ultrabooks.

I made a specific comment to address this silly word choice nitpicking, I'm addressing your other points as well.
>>
>>59269484
>optimal portability
That shit takes a TOLL on your back. Ever carried one of the heavyweight chinkpads? That case looks like it weights more.
Just set up streaming from your desktop computer if you want to gaym on your laptop.
>>
>>59269484
I can also advocate for decent graphical performance by going home to play games on a mini-ITX desktop while having optimal portability with the Macbook Air.
>>
>>59269511
Ok so what happens if you go on a vacation or some place besides your home but don't or can't bring your entire rig with you (assuming you want to). Wouldn't you like some kind of compromise?
>>
>>59269508
>streaming games
Enjoy your latency
>>
>>59269484
>a lot of time setting up desktops
The time difference between setting up a desktop and setting up a laptop with an eGPU is negligible, if it exists at all. There is no portability difference between an eGPU setup and an mitx build with a small screen. At this point you're just trolling.
>>
>>59269547
You are already sacrificing your latency by going Wi-Fi, unless you are used to carrying a Cat6 and a hub for good measure, and then looking for a port.
>>
>>59269505
And your choice in using buzzwords is still stupid. I pointed it out as an aside in a post addressing other things and you decided to go off on a tangent.
>>
>>59269531
>Go on vacation
>Bring laptop and gayman GPU
...uwotm8?
>>
>>59269558
Carrying a monitor, case, keyboard, mouse, additional wires

vs

Laptop, eGPU enclosure, Mouse

It's clear which one is superior in terms of portability.

I can easily carry a mouse, laptop and eGPU in my backpack. Not so much a desktop setup even if it's mini-itx
>>
>>59269589
>your choice in using buzzwords is still stupid

Well that's just like your opinion man

>going off on a tangent

You started it for bringing up a pointless pet peeve of yours
>>
>>59269531
Actually, that's what I designed my mini-ITX rig for. I'm able to bring my mini-ITX system with dual portable HDMI monitors. Those monitors are laptop sized and fit in a laptop bag.
>>
>>59269636
I forced you to ignore other things by pointing out your regurgitation of Intel marketing. Yes anon, nothing is your fault. You had no influence over your actions and you're just a victim. Poor little thing.
>>
>>59269666
You managed to fit a mini-itx rig, a keyboard, and two monitors into a backpack? Impressive.
>>
>>59269721
Nothing was ignored, you just refused to look at my other posts. I fail to understand what you're trying to accomplish. Whatever floats your boat though.
>>
>>59269609
>I can easily carry a mouse, laptop and eGPU in my backpack. Not so much a desktop setup even if it's mini-itx
>I can easily carry a laptop and a bulky enclosure but I can't carry a screen the size of the laptop and a case the size of the enclosure
I hope you realise how stupid you sound right now, it's going from funny to hilarious.
>But muh wires!
Yes, the eGPU works with Qi chargers and Bluetooth nowadays.
>>
>>59269189
>not to mention copious cables
?
>>
>>59269745
>you just refused to look at my other posts
I addressed your other posts with other posts, where getting you to address something is like pulling teeth. That explains why you're so eager to continue this tangent, it gives you relief from having to touch anything of substance.
>>
>>59269778
Except that makes no sense since I'm clearly covering the other points. Try harder.
>>
>>59269788
>I'm clearly covering the other points.
No, you're not. You've consistently ignored everything that now at least three anons have been saying. It's pretty funny, actually.
>>
>>59268115
Yeah but unless things got way better once the DIY front since years ago when I autistically researched how to do it, you have to take a performance hit from bandwidth constraints.

Of course if there's DIY thunderbolt shit that also uses thunderbolt I suppose you're good.
>>
>>59269748
laptop+mouse+enclosure+two power cables

vs.

monitor+itx rig+mouse+keyboard+whatever optional peripherals (webcam, external USB mic) etc

Tell me which one looks easier to carry, and which one allows you to bring a fully functional computer with you on the go-go
>>
>>59269808
Please lay out what I'm ignoring since you're so aware :^)
>>
>>59269835
*On the DIY front
>>
>this thread
just buy the shitty thing. it is fucking obvious that you already made up your mind because your arguments in favor of getting it are retardo tier.
you just wanted approval to buy an overpriced tech toy because you thought it was cool. so get it instead of dimissing every argument that tells you it's a stupid idea.
>>
>>59269838
Not the same person, but the issue I personally find with shelling out for that extra portability is that it fills too narrow of a gap. I have a prodigy M and my basic peripherals, all of which are easy to grab and put in the car if I need to move.

If I'm just going to class or a coffee shop during the day, I'm not going to need the power of an eGPU.
>>
>>59269838
>webcam, external USB mic
Are you saying that you actually use a webcam in the age of smartphones? Also lol @ you Implying any built in laptop mic is anywhere close to a USB microphone. At best they're equivalent to the one in a dollar store headset.

As for the keyboard, yeah, you're really going to use the built in keyboard for gaming.
>>
>>59269891
Sshhh, this is funny. The retard is funny.
>>
>>59269911
Im not saying it's for everybody and never was, but I do see it being useful for people that want as close to desktop performance as you can get without giving up your ultrabook form factor laptop, assuming you are in a scenario where bringing a desktop setup isn't really practical. I could see this being used by students who don't want to or don't have a way of bringing a bunch of stuff with them on breaks, etc
>>
>>59269891
>>59269941
This isn't an argument.
>>
>>59270006
I could see it if said student doesn't have a car, luckily I do so the itx desktop fits
>>
>>59270018
Neither is anything you've come up with so far but please, don't stop, I haven't laughed so hard in years.
>>
>>59270018
Dude, it is fucking obvious.

>thinly veiled "please tell me that my urge to buy this piece of hardware is justified" OP
>"it's not"
>"but what about situation X?"
>"it's not"
>"reeee"

Just buy it man, it is obvious that you already decided you want it and nothing we say can change your mind.
>>
>>59270006
>don't have a way of bringing a bunch of stuff with them on breaks, etc
But again, the eGPU is the size of a fucking mitx build, at that point the keyboard isn't what's breaking you, the lump of a case is. Either way, the size difference is negligible which puts the favour firmly in the mitx builds court for tons of other reasons.
>>
>>59270028
>>59270037
Laying down situations where an eGPU setup would be completely reasonable isn't supporting the argument that outright disregarding them is stupid?
Oh ok...
>>
>>59270079
There have been numerous people in this thread telling you that the advantage is so negligible that it is not worth the insane price.

Yet you insist that really it is preferable to any alternative, despite having to pay the price of a midrange PC just for the enclosure.

So clearly you really want it and thus don't care about the cheaper alternatives. In which case, just buy it.
>>
>>59270052
You're bringing the additional stuff along with having to bring a laptop. Unless you are just going to be using the desktop which leaves you with nothing if you need to go out somewhere. Also what size monitors are you fitting in these backpacks? 15 inches? Not only does that seems like a pain in the ass but with the use of an external keyboard at usual desk placement that doesn't not seem like a particularly enjoyable viewing experience
>>
>>59270079
>I'm being logical and you're not!
>I've made arguments and your reputations of them don't count, which means your discarding them outright.
You're funny anon.
>>
>>59270107
I've already said the price was the only concern. What else are you going to complain about?
>>
>>59270134
>your situations don't matter only more common situations matter
>>
>>59270189
LOL faggot, no one in this thread has said anything about your highly specific hypothetical situations, only your ridiculous "logic" about why an eGPU is "more portable" but please, make more straw men.
>>
>>59270213
>backtracking galore
Oh this is juicy please continue
>>
>>59270222
No backtracking but please, point out someone doing what your strawman supposedly did.
>>
File: IMG_7400.png (127KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7400.png
127KB, 601x508px
>>59270237
Burden of proof is on you pal
>>
>>59270160
the price isn't the only concern, as multiple people have already pointed out. you also need a laptop with ports that have enough bandwidth to even utilize the card fully and you are also stuck with a shit keyboard most likely since hardly any laptops have a decent one (unless you bring an additional keyboard in which case your argument for better portability is already dimished again).

your whole argument is based on
>I need to be able to have both a regular laptop and a gaming station with me
which applies in so few situations that it hardly justifies the price. if I go to uni I won't set up a fucking gaming rig in the 1 hour break I have somewhere during the afternoon, I'll just do some reading so I don't have to do it in the evening when I have access to an actual gaming machine.
if it's for going home during summer break or whatever the portability aspect drops strongly in relevance since I'll be either going by car and thus able to take a proper tower with me, and if I go for an mitx your potentially better portability of the eGPU still isn't worth the price because of how seldom that situation will even arise.
>>
>>59270254
Very few recent laptops aren't equipped with TB3 although I do acknowledge the bandwidth issue, but this again doesn't apply to all laptops. Fortunately for me I have a laptop with TB3 and full 40Gbps throughput. I've gamed on laptops with worse keyboards than the one I have now so that's a lot point. I'm not expecting ideal gaming conditions from a mobile setup, I have my desktop for that. As you've stated you've acknowledged my argument but then bring up the price which I have also stated was a concern. Also when I say "breaks" I mean maybe 1 week to at most 2 week breaks where not bringing your entire rig is more reasonable. Unlike you I don't have a car so being able to minimize what I'm carrying is key.
>>
>>59270345
*moot point
>>
>>59270345
>being able to minimize what I'm carrying is key.
As has been pointed out to you multiple times in this thread, the difference between "laptop and eGPU" and "mitx desktop and small screen" is nonexistent to the point where you're complaining about a keyboard. You're an idiot of hilarious proportions and it beating that into your tiny skull brings me immense pleasure.
>>
>>59270251
>You need to prove that something didn't happen
I... err, what? Are you a creationist too, perhaps?
>>
>>59270345
then, like I said, get it.
the majority of people in this thread disagrees with you because the situations where the eGPU might have an advantage are so rare that it doesn't justify the price, but clearly you think that for you they arise often enough and the alternatives just don't cut it
>>
>>59270414
Except it isn't. I'm sorry you can't do basic math and realize you're bringing more along with you with a mini itx setup than an eGPU setup.
>>
>>59270435
I've acknowledged the price issue several times. As of right now it's not worth the investment (for me) but unlike a lot of people in this thread I'm not blindly disregarding it and the people that it would appeal to or the conditions it'd be ideal for.
>>
>>59269729
mini-ITX and keyboard/wires in a backpack and two monitors in laptop bag. Monitors are fragile so they're kept separately.
>>
>>59270435
>>59270485
Also I'd like to add the situations in the grand scheme may be "rare" but I definitely see this appealing to college age citizens who will likely already own laptops, and with the likely case of this tech dropping price in the coming years it will gain significantly traction. Itx cases have had years to become as small but remain functional, it's very likely that once eGPUs leave their infancy they'll be even smaller.
>>
>>59267902
I like the concept of modular PC.

I could see myself splurging some dough on the top NUC and an eGPU. I could use the eGPU with any PC with thunderbolt I want, so I wouldn't need to buy a GPU for every PC. Could use it with the NUC, with a laptop with another desktop.

I don't game that much anyway, but it'd be useful for casual gaming and 3d projects.
>>
>>59267544
>Apple Keynote 2014 Q4
>Introducing Mac Boost (a.k.a. Razer Core ripoff)
Now you can play perfect Minecraft and WOW on 60 fps in 4k.
>>
>>59269609
You do realize that using the integrated monitor on your laptop will create more of a bottleneck and make your performance even worse? To get the most out of that egpu you'll need an external monitor
>>
File: IMG_0199.jpg (18KB, 395x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0199.jpg
18KB, 395x281px
>laptop with external gpu
>not cheap notebook/beefy desktop combo

/g/ is getting more pleb every passing day.
>>
I see multiple posts mentioning the price of the enclosure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can buy the parts needed to get it running without the enclosure and it wouldn't be even a quarter of the price.

If you really need an enclosure that bad though then just make your own out of a few sheets of hard plastic or something.
>>
>>59269835
there are m.2 external enclosures which have the same throughput as thunderbolt 3
>>
My mini itx rig would be more portable than your egpu bullshit.
>>
>>59272495
Doubt
>>
>>59270453
>My opinion is math!!!
Topkek. No it isn't.
>>
>>59267831
>take laptop for EDC
>plug in to GPU, monitor, speakers, and m/kb at home for the gaymen
Admittedly this has appealed to me tremendously. Might end up biting the bullet.
>>
>>59270971
>you'll bottle neck your FPS increase using an external gpu
>you'll bottle neck your fps using an internal embedded monitor
I'M GOING TO START TYPING IN ALL CAPS WHEN I TALK TO YOU
>>
>>59273063
Not him but you're actually retarded
>>
>>59267907
>razer egpu case
Shit even the Alienware one is smaller
>>
>>59269508
This
>>59269547
Just install CS GO on your laptop if it's that bad, fallout runs smooth and playably fast
>>
>>59273157
https://youtu.be/QR5f1MwfugA
Thread posts: 132
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.