[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Network setup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled.png (25KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
25KB, 800x600px
I have the following network setup, pic related. What's the best method to "share" the internet connection of router 2 connected through the orangePi with the server? The orangePi has two interfaces (wlan0 and eth0). The server and orangePi are on the same network connected via ethernet.
>>
Isn't the pi a bottleneck?

It's also getting a connection using wifi

God that must be slow
>>
>>59267399
I would imagine, the orangePi zero is a lightweight but good enough for the application.
>>
>>59267399
this. just why?
>>
>>59267504
Separate connection based off router 2 for select applications.
>>
>>59267349
the pi will be a bottleneck.

your best bet is to run ethernet, if that is out, you can try:
1) MoCA. It runs coaxial cables over ethernet. this assumes you have coaxial (e.g. cable box screw on connector) near router 1 or a connection where router 1 provides internet. you get a pair of them, one of them connects to router one, the other one is in the room with router 2 (also needs to have coax). it coexists perfectly with cable TV/internet/phone and can get rates of around a gigabit with low pings. get a point of entry filter (PoE) moca filter so your internet won't leave your house via coax (rare, but it can happen; also reduces interference).

2) Powerline adapters, but they're crapshoot, buy them from a place with a good return policy. they must be plugged into the wall directly, not surge protectors.
>>
>>59267650
Thanks for the input but neither is viable because the router isn't mine hence WiFi.
>>
>>59268356
Okay, let me ask because I'm confused. Router 1 and Router 2 are both connected to the internet, right?
Router 1 is yours, and router 2 belongs to someone else, e.g. a neighbor? What is the purpose of having router 2 connected to your network or the orangepi?

Do you have a friend or neighbor or something that you're trying to share content with via the orangepi? Are you trying to use both connections for downloading/uploading content to internet hosts from the orangepi?

What are you trying to achieve?
>>
>>59268438
Using the internet connection provided from router 2 for downloading/uploading. The server needs access to the router 2 internet connection the orangepi has access to The orangepi is basically a glorified wifi dongle for the server in a sense.
>>
>>59267349
Im guessing you have some kind of router running on the orangepi? If so, and assuming youve configured it for this purpose, change the server to use the orangepi as its default gw. (Or add a quadzero route to its routing table, same thing really).

This really sounds like the wrong way to handle this, though. You should plug the orangepi into another interface on your router and use the router to send things through one WAN or the other. A lot cleaner, safer, and simpler IMO
>>
>>59269381
Can you elaborate on your second suggestion? Not following on router 1 vs router 2 and what you mean by a different interface. Note I have no physical access to router 2.
>>
>>59267349
>What's the best method to "share" the internet connection of router 2 connected through the orangePi with the server? The orangePi has two interfaces (wlan0 and eth0). The server and orangePi are on the same network connected via ethernet.
If they're on the same network then all you do is set the default gateway on server to the orange pi assuming it is doing NAT. or if it acting as a wireless bridge, then to the IP of wireless router 2.

>>59269327
>Using the internet connection provided from router 2 for downloading/uploading.
Setup a VM for what I can only assume is torrenting and see above
>>
>>59270198
Thanks for the help. Gave me ideas on how to go about this. Should be good to roll.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.