[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cable Management Tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: nightmare.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
nightmare.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Among my greatest failings as a human is my atrocious under-desk cable management (pic related).

Do any of you have tips of how to deal with this? You're seeing the results of:
PC
Synology (w/ 2 external drives)
NUC for server
KVM switch (hence the lonely VGA)
3 monitors
UPS
router
all sorts of on-desk shit

How do I make this less of a nightmare? A bunch of the cords aren't long enough to go in anything but a straight line (especially the DVI cables)

Also post your shameful cable management if you dare.
>>
what if you managed to put two words together that envolve your problem

CABLE

TIES

Good luck
>>
>>59259656
You could make something like a second wall. Take a thin wooden plate, make it as big as you need and mount it either on the wall, or right under your desk.
>>
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/16195/?color=other+colors
>>
>>59260418
>>59260355
thanks anon, both good ideas. I might go for that ikea basket since I'm rerouting stuff constantly and it won't make me crazy when I move.
>>
>>59259656
you can just buy longer DVI cables you know.
>>
>>59259680
or string
>>
>>59260561
I did know that but for some reason I thought they got super expensive, but it looks like they're like $7 per cable which isn't so bad. I could always /csg/ them I guess too.
>>
1)Zip ties the cable that go together.
Example : all power cables to our voltage regulator

2) align pieces that go together : router is on the left side however the computer's back panel is on the right side. Either move the router or turn the computer around
>>
Drill a hole in the drywall, ~2" near a stud, directly behind the desk, route cables through wall using a fish tape, drill another hole. Viola.

Plates look much better, but you'd have a hard time installing them. Also drilling holes is free.
>>
>>59261237
I wish. I rent, and there isn't any drywall. Otherwise this would be the optimal solution for sure.
>>
http://www.ikea.com/ca/fr/catalog/products/30200253/

Under your desk. It's a good start
>>
fold cable in hand
wrap zip tie around and pull
your desk is now neat
>>
https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/50Pcs-Lot-Same-Color-Magic-Velcro-Cable-Winder-Wrapped-Thread-Earphone-Line-Winder-Portable-Compact-Cable/32794733621.html

Get some Velcro cable ties, much better than zip-ties
>>
>>59261975
these are also extremely good, and come in many useful sizes: https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-ProPack-Reusable-Rubber/dp/B00SHBN21S/
>>
File: tumblr_myovozvd6G1qa4gnbo3_1280.jpg (378KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myovozvd6G1qa4gnbo3_1280.jpg
378KB, 1280x1707px
>>
I use a piece of white pvc pipe screwed to the back of my desk and velcro cable ties. I used convoluted split loom on my /vr/ station and it works but is a pain to separate anything.
>>
>>59259656
Buy Velcro
Give yourself 1-2 hr to do this
Pull out your desk and unplug every wire that's connected
Then start by routing your cables in ONE direction of possible and tie them down with Velcro

Or use YouTube
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.