[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minimalist Operating System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: file.png (210KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
210KB, 640x480px
Is there an OS that is basically just a C compiler, similar to how the c64 OS is basically just a Basic compiler?

All I want is gcc and some standard libraries.
>>
Linux from Scratch?
>>
>>59256131
you still probably want utilities, such as a text editor and a shell
try netbsd
>>
Code your own compiler
>>
>>59256198
Bring out the good old magnet.
>>
>>59256192
I just want to make my own OS but without all the effortsome bits, like compilers or drivers or kernels and shit. So yeah, I will make the utilities, including shell and password system
>>59256185
I'll look at this.
>>
>>59256251
Good fucking luck
>>
>>59256251
Sounds interesting.
I wanted to make something like this in c++ (or rust, can't remember).
Modern computers have an UEFI shell, which is a very simple terminal with nano. It may be interesting to program that
>>
>>59256131
Learn HolyC and use TempleOS.
For real, I'm not memeing. If you want a minimal OS that does C, TempleOS is your deal.
>>
>>59256185

>t. person who has never read Linux from scratch

It's like over 160 packages at least. You can make it fewer if you read the systemd version, but it still is over 100 packages. What this retard wants is just a compiler; he won't be able to use the keyboard, mouse, or monitor, or to turn off and on the computer, but the compiler would be there in the memory waiting eternally. The problem he's posing is how to load it into memory if you can't even use peripherals or bootstrapping modules, it is a very interesting question.
>>
>>59256530
this
quite literally what the OS is for
>>
>>59256251
http://www.brokenthorn.com/Resources/OSDevIndex.html

You can thank me later
>>
>>59256131
Why do you want that? C64 BASIC is at least somewhat friendly to interactive and incremental development. C compilers don't have a REPL, so this arrangement would be kinda useless. Although you can try this: https://root.cern.ch/cling
>>
>>59256251
>without all the effortsome bits, like compilers or drivers or kernels
then make an os around an existing compiler and kernel (such as GCC and Linux)
>>
>>59256509
Macs used Open Firmware instead of UEFI before the switch from PPC to x86, and Open Firmware has a Forth shell. You could try to write your own operating system in Forth from there.
>>
File: sadskeletal.jpg (37KB, 528x480px) Image search: [Google]
sadskeletal.jpg
37KB, 528x480px
>>59256530
I would love to use templeOS, but I want to use it on my raspberry pi. ; ~ ;
>>
>>59257241
I don't think TempleOS is demanding enough to care if you run it in QEMU.
>>
File: a.jpg (82KB, 513x494px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
82KB, 513x494px
>>59257241
port it
>>
>>59256131
QNX might meet your needs; it can be stripped down to a very minimal size.

http://www.qnx.com/
>>
>>59256131
TempleOS, no joke. Terry was inspired by the C64's OS, among other things.
>>
OpenBSD or NetBSD are good bets.
UNIX is THE C development environment, and those are pretty good C environments.
You should remember that you need an editor (at least ed) and you'd do well to have some tools such as make, objdump, gdb, and other tools that will only make your life easier. Oh yeah, and you probably want glib, at least if you're even interested in using malloc().
So, yeah, UNIX is the true C development environment. Now if you want to develop from the ground up, you can always get into kernel hacking.
>>
>>59257585
> malloc()

If he wants minimal, why not just use brk()
>>
>>59257585
If you're really going after minimalism, I'd say you can probably drop Make and just use shell scripts instead.
>>
>>59256131
freeDOS
>>
>>59256530
and learn speaking to god, useful stuff
>>
>>59257574
>Terry was inspired by the C64's OS
BLASPHEMY burn the nigger
>>
File: 0004460002509_A.jpg (21KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
0004460002509_A.jpg
21KB, 380x380px
>>59256251
>I want to make my own os
>without all the effortsome bits
try drinking this
>>
>>59256251
>like compilers or drivers or kernels and shit
Literally what?
>>
>>59256131
Okay, so this isnt JUST a compiler, but Plan 9 is less complex than a GNU/Linux system.

Using 9front, you can actually get it on booting on some real hardware with good compatibility. It works, wifi and trackpad included, with my thinkpad t420s.

http://fqa.9front.org/

It works fine in virtualbox too.
>>
>>59256131
>the c64 OS is basically just a Basic compiler
Bullshit.
The C64 would run just fine with no BASIC installed. It had a BASIC interpreter, not a compiler. The interpreter was a system task, not the system.
In fact, most of those old 6502-based machines could run quite well with no OS. The BASIC interpreter was usually in ROM.
>>
>>59259373
http://bellard.org/tcc/tccboot.html

basically the only binary in this OS is the compiler (tcc).
All the rest (including the kernel) is shipped as source files that are built upon boot.
>>
>>59259495
I meant to quote OP, sorry
>>
>>59256131

You can write your own if you dont mind doing the drivers.
Check out the brokenthorn tutorial, its pretty much step by step babby os.

>>59257689
You're a fucking idiot, go read the goddamn TOS page.
>>
>>59259197
>the 9tards have arrived
shoo shoo back to freenode with you
>>
Any good books on how to build your own os, from the compiler and everything? I was looking at couple at the osdev but they seem too vague.
>>
>>59256251

>without compilers or drivers or kernels and shit

what?
>>
>>59256131
i guess you're gonna want freedos with a C compiler (djgpp maybe?)

could never get networking on the damn thing though
>>
>>59256131

gentoo + i3
>>
File: gottablast.gif (866KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
gottablast.gif
866KB, 450x450px
>>59257530
I'm too much of a lazy shit to even make my own kernel, compiler, etc.
What makes you think I can port GOD's OS?
>>
>>59256131
The C64 didn't have a compiler it had a basic interpreter and I don't believe there is because that was only used because of the small amount of memory that could be used learn what a compiler is...
>>
>>59256572
I think he means a stripped-down IDE, so keyboard and text output support along with the compiler but not much else. It's an interesting idea.
>>
>>59256131
>c64 OS is basically just a Basic compiler
If you can't figure out the difference between an interpreter and a compiler chances are such a thing is way over your head and you should come back when you know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
IncludeOS
>>
>>59256131
TempleOS has what you need.

Also there are some bare-bones Forth OS's floating around, that's way better than C.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.