[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to learn programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: new.jpg (64KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
new.jpg
64KB, 720x480px
Hi /g/,

I have no programming background whatsoever except for a tiny bit of SQL and VB from a couple of Access databases I made for work. I'm trying to become more well-versed in programming, but I don't know where to start. Should I continue learning SQL and VB? Is there another language I should start with?

I'm kind of liking the idea of working with databases and (big) data.

Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>59252152
All i can tell you is that Visual Basic is a complete fucking tumor.
It is useless by itself and doesn't resemble any other programming language i know of so it's not like it's easy to transition from.
Atleast python is a nice language for scripting and has some machine learning applications. Visual Basic just fucking hurts.
>>
>>59252152

>I'm kind of liking the idea of working with databases and (big) data.

he adjusts his preferences based on incomplete knowledge from the past

never going to make it tbqh.

How about you learn the basics first?! With the new knowledge in your brain you might end up liking other things because you didnt know them before?!!

In short .. do CS50 start with the basics then go from there. GL - you will need it with your tunnel vision attitude.
>>
>>59252152
you need to learn programming more than you need to learn a language.

If you want to work with big databases, it really depends on what level. Ruby is a common language in web development, but on a rather high level (eg. it builds on a lot of other stuff, and the code is quite verbose and easy to understand).

If you're talking NSA-level big data then it's probably C, or at least C++. But it's not really a great language to learn programming because 99% of the time you'll be spending on stuff that is redundant like garbage collecting, pointers etc.
>>
>>59252286
From VB, you can easily transition to C#; syntax is different, but the functional structure is the same, plus both use the same .NET classes.

From C# then to either Java or PowerShell. After 20 years, I would just use PowerShell to do most tasks on the MS platform, as you get all of the .NET classes without having to compile anything + total support for the big 3 public clouds
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.