[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Free memory is wasted memory hurr durr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: ramusage.png (3KB, 749x71px) Image search: [Google]
ramusage.png
3KB, 749x71px
So there's some discussions around where normies complain that apps takes up too much RAM and never frees it. "Experts" claims to be programmers and know about memory management and shit, and always repeats "it's better to use memory for performance than not using it", "modern memory management is very smart", etc.

That's all fine and dandy. HOWEVER; in Linux Everything starts to be slow as shit when there is little RAM left, even with swappines set to low values. If for example Firefox is using a lot of RAM and I close all the tabs, the memory is not freed. According to "experts", freeing this memory would be a waste. When I restart Firefox, all the unused RAM is of course freed, and everyting else suddenly feels a lot faster.

Inb4 Firefox is to blame, the arguments from the memory management export crowd is always the same, also when the memory hog is aother software.

Can /g/ please shed some light on this?
>>
>>59247153

its just lintoddlers and wintoddlers justfiying their shitty operating systems performance

>mfw macOS is the most lightweight OS i have ever used

i count 7 chrome tabs and 1 YT video btw
>>
See the comment threads at http://superuser.com/questions/789548/why-does-my-firefox-memory-usage-keep-rising-with-use-and-never-returns-to-the-i for an example on this.
>>
>>59247153
Obviously things get slow when you run out of memory and rely on swap.
Nothing can prevent that.

Most algorithms have the tradeoff with computations and memory.
And often this means using a bit more memory is preferred over taking more time.

Firefox is a special case for software as it is an operating system in user space.
It uses a lot of resources and they don't aim to fix that.
>>
>>59247295
>Obviously things get slow when you run out of memory and rely on swap.
>Nothing can prevent that.

I know things get slow then, what I don't understand is the lack of willingness from experts and developers to aknowledge that freeing unused memory *do* make the rest of the system faster because it no longer has to swap.
>>
>>59247153
No one who claims that unused memory is wasted memory is any kind of "expert" on anything.
Kernel developer here. Never use unnecessary amounts of memory, because you are cutting off memory for the kernel block cache and other processes to use.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.