[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Troubleshooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 20170228_233950.jpg (3MB, 2236x1832px) Image search: [Google]
20170228_233950.jpg
3MB, 2236x1832px
Hi /g/, non lurker here,

First off, as the title says, it's a troubleshooting problem. I'm not super super computer literate, so feel free to let this slide if you don't want to fuck with it.

Problem: Computer won't post after shut down, seemingly only after playing a game. Power on and off cycle works fine otherwise, but play a video game, then shut down and restart, and the cpu fans don't slow down and the screen stays black like the MOBO isn't posting.

Specs:
Botnet 10 fresh install
Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB SSD (boot)
Random Hitachi 1 TB HDD (storage)
AMD FX-8300 CPU
MSI 970A SLI KRAIT edition MOBO
Powercolor Radeon 7870 HD GPU
16 gigs ram (8g/8g brand split)
I forget the PSU but it should be more than enough to power the rig.

So, long story short, my battlestation was being shitty in general, so I kept the old HDD and graphics card, bought a new MOBO, gpu and ssd, threw it all in, wiped the HDD and put in the SSD as the boot drive.

Random tidbits:
*I haven't done super extensive testing on what causes it.
*I've only tried it on Origin games.
*Origin is currently in compatibility mode for DPI scaling
*I thought it was the HDMI slot on my GC, because when I wiggled it and rebooted it would come back on. Also, if I wiggled it enough the screen would flash red and black lines and static. So I bought a DVI to HDMI cord, and it didn't fix it. That's when I noticed it seemed to only not post after playing games.
*I never specifically set my SSD as my boot drive. I just put it in with the other drive unplugged, loaded windows 10, then plugged my old drive back in. The old drive has no OS on it though.

Thanks for your time, I'll try to post more info as needed. Here's my rig, horrible cable management because my PSU has non removable cables.
>>
Is this a fucking tech support board? fucking kys faggot.
>>
>>59243130
Thanks senpai
>>
>>59242986
Lurk more.
>>
>>59242986
>AYYMD CPU
found your problem
>>
>>59244294
Lel, all memes aside I don't have a brand preference, but I've always had good luck with AMD.

But thread update:

Doesn't seem like the computer is posting at all at this point, tried pulling the graphics card, cleaning contacts with 99% alc and dusting the slots, did nothing.
>>
>>59244468
Do you have another PSU to try?

Doesn't even matter if it's a cheap chink one
>>
>>59244483
I do not unfortunately. Not to brush off your suggestion, but I'm kind of leaning towards the GC shitting out on me, if you could hear out my train of thought.

Ive had this same problem before with a AMD board and AMD card. I thought the PSU was bad, so I replaced it with the current one. Still nothing.

Turns out, atleast from what I understand, in a basic, home use set up, AMD PCUs/Board combos absolutely will not post if there is not a GC detected. Last time, after I installed a new graphics card, it booted right up like nothing was wrong.

I'm thinking my GC might've taken a shit at the video plug ins or near it, hence why wiggling the HDMI cord on boot would allow it to come on. I'm not 100 convinced of that though, because you could wiggle the HDMI cord once you got it booted and it'd act just fine.

As for the PSU, everything visually seems to be powered on.

Just trying to bounce ideas at this point, the main thing I was wondering is if I mightve screwed up the main set up, like not setting my new SSD as the primary boot drive, but even with the HDD unplugged it won't do shit.
>>
>>59244706
Nah, discard the drives, that's not it.

About the GC, it might be. I suggested the PSU because it's probably the most commonplace problem when boot issues arise. RAM sticks is another common issue.

There really isn't much science when troubleshooting, you have to test every part you can. I understand tho that most people won't have spare parts to test, I myself only have a couple of PSUs and then whatever is on my main computer.

I suggest you try everything out of the case, maybe try a VGA cable if possible, maybe try your integrated GPU if the motherboard has one.
>>
>>59244762
That is one of the big things about AMD that sucks ass. There are no on board graphics, so when you have a problem like this, there is absolutely no way to get a post, and therefore no way to troubleshoot it without swapping parts, or throwing parts at it. I did try ram like you suggested, knocked it down to one stick (tried a couple), and got nothing.

My main plan right now is to have my friend overnight me his old GC that he is getting rid of for the 1080 TI. It's only a few years old, and though I forget what card it is, it's an Nvidia chipset and can still run new releases on ultra. If it fixes it, he'll sell it to me, if not I ship it back. Hopefully if it does fix it, I'll have better luck with it not shitting out on me like these AMD cards. Two separate chipsets dead in 3 years each, not the best track record in my book.

If that doesn't fix it, I'll definitely pursue the PSU. Thank you for your wisdom anon.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.