[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the proper way to backup your data, /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Hugo_Weaving.png (132KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
Hugo_Weaving.png
132KB, 270x270px
What is the proper way to backup your data, /g/?
>>
>>59242874
Have at least 2 external hard drives and use cloud storage for files that you don't mind being stored in a cloud. Use 1 external drive to back up your files, use the other to back up your system and use the cloud to back up files and those nudes of your girl. Also I have no idea what I'm talking about because I only have 1 external hard drive and never use it.
>>
>>59242874
only trust (((the cloud))) with unimportant files and encrypt if possible, keep encrypted copies of very important files at a different location (protect from theft and fire), keep a copy on an external harddrive/nas
>>
8+ disk mirrored zfs pool on a freebsd server attached to a pure sine UPS with auto shutdown timeout.
>>
>>59242874
By not doing it.
>>
>>59243095
this is expensive, but it's the proper way.
/THREAD
>>
>>59242874

redundant RAID

cloud is for retards
>>
>>59242874
money?
buy a computer and several hard drives and put them on a safe place then the hard drives have to be in raid 1 maibe
In your computer you install some type of tool like grsync and you run it automatically every day

no meny?
buy an external harddrive and rsync it when ever you want then hide it under your cushion so its safe
>>
use something like time machine or file history or rsync-time-machine with a huge local external hard drive or network storage system ideally with mirrored drives. use full disk encryption on all drives for extra security.

keep a system backup on read only media (clean install full disk image on bluray) and keep system updates on read only media (monthly batch on cd/dvd). compress and encrypt for extra security.

critical data should be backed up to an offsite location and to read only media ideally on a daily basis, but sometimes you'll need hourly or less which will require cloud storage. always compress and encrypt when using the cloud.
>>
>>59242874
I have a cronjob setup to rsync nightly. It's ideal to have remote backups as well in case of fire or theft.
>>
I never back anything up and just start fresh when my drive takes a shit. The few important things I can't do without (mainly school projects) are on flash drives anyway since I work with them elseware, too.
>>
>>59242874

JUST
>>
>>59243095
>zfs
This. If you use a file system that doesn't even detect data corruption then backup is pointless.
>>
>>59242874
Write all the 1s and 0s on a sheet
>>
>>59242874
One external drive backup (seagate has that 8tb archive drive) and one cloud backup. I use Crashplan.
>>
In a perfect world you'd want at least your server's data in a raid-1/5/10 array. Which raid level you pick is dependent on several things. Num of drives, volume size required,num of available drive bays,etc. Then you want that raid volume or volumes backed up somewhere, external drive(s) or separate nas/server is best. So you also need backup software that can support raid volumes and dynamic/gpt drives. Backup to cloud is fine if you have a small amount of data but when you start to hit several terabytes it becomes impractical. Also depending on how large your data collection is be prepared to spend a lot of money. Drives for the server plus the backup drives will cost a lot of money that's before you add the other parts such as ram/motherboard/case/etc. Also if you have windows os for your server be sure to enable shadow copies for your data volumes. This allows you to restore a file if a user or you accidentally deletes/changes it without having to use your backups for this task. Even if you don't use raid, just got a bunch of drives, a backup of the data is critical. Never know when one or more drives will die on you.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.