[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At January 19, 2038 03:14:07 GMT the UNIX epoch time will end.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1474739310620.jpg (5KB, 253x190px) Image search: [Google]
1474739310620.jpg
5KB, 253x190px
At January 19, 2038 03:14:07 GMT the UNIX epoch time will end. Are you prepared for the big crash?
>>
No it won't end. The number type will be changed to 8 bytes imho
>>
>>59241773
That's only an issue for 32-bit devices and OpenBSD's already got it fixed
>>
Isn't it already changed to 64 bits even on 32-bit computers?
>>
>>59241831
>That's only an issue for 32-bit devices

It's also an issue for 64-bit devices that use file formats or protocols that contain any time_t data in their formats.

>>59241825
>No it won't end. The number type will be changed to 8 bytes imho

The problem is that they've known about this problem for many years, but they haven't even proposed standard new names that can be used to replace time_t and all the other things that depend on it.

Once the new names are decided on, then we'll need a libc rolled out that implements them.

Once that happens, then the developers will have a standard way of upgrading all the apps, file formats, and protocols from time_t to use the new standard name.

The whole process should have been given at least 30 years from start to finish. (That's because file formats and protocols are the most affected, which have the longest lifespans.) But at the pace they're going, they won't have nearly that long to prepare. Their incompetent laziness will result in a huge panic in the final few years -- plus, every solution will be custom hacked by the individual engineers because there will be no universal standard libc solution in place. Their unwillingness to act and take leadership on creating a standard libc solution is one of the most astounding demonstrations of stupidity I have ever seen in my career. (Sure, there are a few different "time.h drop-in replacements" out there, but nothing that has been blessed by the standards bodies, and nothing that is available in the standard libc.)
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.