[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming at University

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (143KB, 1500x800px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
143KB, 1500x800px
I remember making a thread asking how much programming I might be doing if I took an IT course and basically everyone (assumedly Americans) said probably none. Now that I'm actually doing an IT degree (at a polytechnic (community college in Burgerspeak) ) I am in fact learning programming - so I'm wondering why everyone said the opposite. I hear that at actual universities it's 100% theory work and you can do a whole degree without ever programming on a keyboard. If that's true is that the case everywhere or just in America?
Pic unrelated.
>>
File: 1dxet4.jpg (51KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
1dxet4.jpg
51KB, 670x377px
>>59240340
>I hear that at actual universities it's 100% theory work and you can do a whole degree without ever programming on a keyboard.
>>
>>59240340
Not really true, you do programming but it's probably not something you're going to do when you get a job. Though it's usually good stuff to know anyway.

What happens a lot of the time is you graduate, then get a job doing webdev which you didn't learn in school.
>>
>>59240340
I'm self taught by looking at university calendars and doing the assignments.

They are all programming, all the time, often taking hours per day. "Write a program that does X, Y and Z, then add feature A". The basic intro courses are just one line programming assignments (write a return statement that does X) you could accomplish with a pencil and paper but the second year and more courses are all heavy with programming labs and assignments. For example I had to rewrite most of stdlib.h with my own malloc, I had to implement concurrency and rewrite locks in a dbms, I had to build a mini kernel, I had to create a distributed system from scratch, ect ect.

You can't even do The Art of Computer Programming without actual programming since at the end of each chapter, the 500 or so exercises most of them start with "Write a MIXAL program that...."
>>
>>59240898
>webdev
As in HTML and javascript and shit?
>>
>>59240340
I'm close to finishing my second year Comp Sci in Belgium. So far we've had Java, Python, Javascript, Haskell, C, C++ and using Ruby right now, though it isn't being teached, it's the language we have to use for an assignment.

The proficiency between each of them differ since some had their own course, or multiple courses and others were thought together with another language. It makes it so that it's really easy to adapt and learn a new language though.

We've got at least one programming project per semester. And other courses where we need to program(e.g. algorithm courses) mostly use Java, since it's pretty much our main language.

So, at least in my uni, I've got no fucking clue how anyone would do that without touching a keyboard.
>>
File: 1396811508299.png (108KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1396811508299.png
108KB, 480x480px
>>59240340
Every college today makes students take an intro to programming class. Unless you actually looked at your curriculum and saw more, that will probably be the most you see for the rest of the experience until you graduate.

For any IT focused position, no you won't be doing any serious programming unless you work for a weird shop. Most likely, you will be working WITH programmers if your company does software development. Being comfortable with shell scripting may help a lot with mundane accounting tasks.

Comp Sci, Comp Eng, Soft Eng, are programming oriented. Those will have programming exercises throughout.
>>
>>59242343
Oh, you said IT. I thought you were talking about computer science, my bad.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.