[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting into IT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: gandy1.jpg (55KB, 650x653px) Image search: [Google]
gandy1.jpg
55KB, 650x653px
Hey /g/

Fairly new to IT - I'm currently studying for Network+ certification, and a lot of the text covers how Linux platforms are often used in various servers.

I know there are different kinds of Linux distros (not sure if there are multiple UNIX distros or whathaveyou), but I'd like to know which Linux distros are most popular in terms of server use, to get a starting handle on how to use it and build my skillset.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
>>
>>59239931
Sorry for the general lack proper terminology, still learning and trying to hold onto this stuff.
>>
>>59239931
>>59239950
As a note, I have a PC and a Mac at my disposal, so if either of those could just run a VM, or if there is any software for either of those that would be useful, that'd be cool too.
>>
>>59239931
Just learn Linux/UNIX in general and forget about distros, the only real difference between them is packaging managers and kernel patches which you can easily figure out if you know what you're doing.

Start with No Starch Press books, find all books on Linux/Unix and type their titles into libgen.io to get a free pdf.

https://www.nostarch.com/catalog/linuxbsdunix
How Linux Works, 2nd Edition is good, plus those enterprise books and sysadmin books.

Now look into devops and SRE books. Get the "The DevOps 2.0 Toolkit" from libgen, and read Google's SRE book https://landing.google.com/sre/book.html

The Unix Programming Environment is also really good, even though it's from the 80s sed/awk/grep hasn't changed neither has regex which it will teach you.
>>
>>59239931
This CMU site will also teach you intro to command line, vim, bash ect. https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~15131/f16/
>>
>>59239931
>>
>>59240035
Wasn't expecting such a concise answer - thank you! I'll go find those texts now.

As a thought, I'm working through the "CompTIA Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide". The book seems okay so far, reads easily. There are certain points where it gets a little above my head for the moment, but rereading the chapter helps. I've also got the A+ version from the same author, though I've done a lot of that on my own and through high school.

https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-Guide-Sixth-N10-006/dp/0071848223

Any thoughts on this text? I'd like to move as quickly as I can through all this stuff, and I'm not sure if I can (or should) bounce between texts to learn all this, or if one at a time is a solid approach. Surely I'll be keeping these books for reference in the future, but until then?
>>
>>59240035
Also, never knew about libgen until you, this is fantastic!!
>>
>>59240179
This is really all you need
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Network_Plus_Certification plus w/e other books you have to pass network+ cert.

At least read How Linux Works 2 and download some virtual machine program and run Ubuntu server to try out shit with the command line. That CMU course here: >>59240089
shows you tmux use, so you can run tmux remotely on the server so if you drop connection you don't log out and can keep things running remotely.

There's also the Web Application Hacker's Handbook which teaches you how modern web apps work and how to break them with burpsuite. That's also crucial for any sysadmin knowledge so you can see how containers actually function ect.

Microsoft also has their own certification shit which you can pirate on libgen
>>
>>59239931
>Linux distros are most popular in terms of server use
Just in case you're totally new Linux is used for its shell (command line) and not the GUI, so which distro you use for a server doesn't really matter.
>>
>>59240501
The most popular is Ubuntu Server, since AWS uses a customized version of it. However less and less companies are actually using a Linux distro at all these days, and just going to hosted apps in containers, Like Google Cloud which is currently eating AWS' lunch too.

Tl;dr the modern office is all entirely MacBooks, programming applications that are half automated, and hosting them completely automated with Jewggle cloud. Everyday these outfits require less and less people to run their bullshit service soon it'll just be one guy and a laptop with a button to deploy app, a button to build the majority of the app, and a button to hire a designer that's it.

There still are enterprises who need sysadmins though for microserf desktops
>>
>>59239931
kill yourself
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.