[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

on-disk resume format

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1374018139043.jpg (36KB, 599x336px) Image search: [Google]
1374018139043.jpg
36KB, 599x336px
>need to write resume
>want to have version control (git) because everything has to be customized these days
>after days of fucking around and bughunting get latex to look right
>still occasionally have to spend hours fixing shit if page boundaries or fonts fuck up
>have to manually convert to some kind of text or doc format half the time because that's what websites want and the automated tools choke on longtables

>time for a new job
>decide to rewrite resume
>look at making it simpler
>look at file formats again
>realize old 2003 .doc format is uncompressed markup
>widely supported and portable as fuck
>many WYSIWYG editors
>easily converted to pdf
>compatible with source control

>tfw you fell for the latex resume meme
>>
>>59235985
>using LaTex for anything but scientific material
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>59235985
What the hell were you trying to do?

I spent like 2 hours with MikTex setting up the skeleton of my resume and it looks fine. Any changes I need to make to the actual content take a few minutes, and it exports to PDF and DOC files natively.
>>
>>59236763
apparently so

>>59236812
3-column layout using longtable
>>
>>59237592
>3-column layout using longtable
See >>59236763

Why the fuck would you format a resume like that?
>>
>>59237670
column one was the place and position

column two was the responsibilities and accomplishments

column three was the dates

Sometimes I'd have text take up columns 2 and 3, and sometimes all three columns. It would mess up the row spacing subtly and drove me fucking mad.

I thought it was a nice, compact format overall.
>>
>>59237716
You got memed on by thinking the format of a resume carries any importance.

By the time an actual human looks at your resume it's already been run through a keyword search algorithm that determines if you're worth interviewing or not.
>>
>>59237762
We agree I am a victim of memes.

Format can matter in some cases, also I've been told people want you to put in the (R) and (TM) symbols and will choose on that basis, which seems ultra-retarded.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.