[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are GPUs so expensive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (312KB, 595x654px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
312KB, 595x654px
Let me red pill you on that senpai. AMD AND NVIDIA are a cartel of patents. They hog the GPU patents of the Desktop.

Something similar happens with the CPU patents of the Desktop/x86 that is. If anyone wants to enter he must kiss ass.

Look at Intel itself, in order to have GPU tech, it must kiss AMD ass: http://seekingalpha.com/article/4042977-new-details-intels-ip-deal-collaboration-amd

Further than that, AMD and NVIDIA don't even have their own Foundries. They have to pay fees to others that do have Foundries and as a result they become even more expensive.

That is one of the main reasons that AMD runs behind Intel like a dog on the CPU stage. Intel has their own factories.

NVIDIA is usually making slightly bigger GPUs that are faster and more expensive, but that's their only difference.

If the patents were open to all Foundries for all chips, you would see discreet GPUs at 50% lower prices.
>>
didnt amd sell their foundries?
>>
>>59233859
fuck off to /v/ faggot only gaymer plebs worry about this shit
>>
>>59233882
>what about workstations
>what about computing clusters
>what is 3d modeling of physics and medicine

kys
>>
>>59233905
>computer clusters
>3d modeling
y-you need our latest 1080ti for those things to work goyim!
>>
>>59233859
>Intel has their own factories.
So why did Intel close down a bunch of them?
>>
>>59233982
Intel has a ton of Foundries. They open new ones and close old ones all the time. They range from the latest 10nm ones, to ancient 45nm or so ones that still produce simpler tech.
>>
>>59233876
They did and it was their downfall.
>>
>>59233925
>3d modeling need latest 1080ti
says who? you dipshit
>>
File: Screenshot_20170304-233010.png (170KB, 1080x423px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170304-233010.png
170KB, 1080x423px
>>59233925
>what are workstation GPUs
>what is Nvidia Quadro and AMD Firepro
>what are Tesla GPUs
>thinking GPU technology only applies to gaymur manchildren xddd

RMA yourself
>>
>buying a video card for more than $500 for gaymen
>>
>>59233859

>intel has their own factories
>cpus still expensive as fuck

how does it feel getting fucked by intel?
>>
>>59234686
Are you talking to the mirror? OP here. I'm well aware that Intel can raise prices according to what I wrote.
AMD runs behind it like a dog because of its lack of Foundries. Therefore Intel can raise prices.
But also AMD AND Intel are hogging x86 patents so supporting EITHER is cuckoldry.
>>
>>59234779
>AMD runs behind it like a dog because of its lack of Foundries

foundries are a total money sink
>>
>>59234798
You must be a nobelist in economics kid. If Intel had a loss, they would not spend billions every year to go to the next node. They would also pay Samsung or someone else to manufacture for them.
Get over it, Intel has technical superiority at manufacturing.
You don't even understand how easy it is for Intel to switch. Every single year they have the opportunity to switch to what you suggest. Every single year they put the numbers down and realize it's a profit to make new Foundries.

The simple fact is, AMD just doesn't have the money to make Foundries.

They cost a gigantic pile of money they don't have anymore.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.