[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you wipe your laptop before sending it for repairs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1487760747246.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
1487760747246.png
279KB, 898x790px
My bag carrying my asus laptop fell from my shoulder and when I took it out it later at college, it gave out a weird sound which eventually went away when I shook it a little. I bought it in September.
Now I could get it repaired but should I wipe it before handing it over to the people who repair it? Is it risky? I've downloaded a lot of memes and anime pictures from this site and it would be dangerous in the wrong hands right?
>>
>>59233223
if you're that desperate justremove the disk before sending it in
>>
>>59233223
>before sending it for repairs
>not repairing yourself
out, now
>>
>>59233223
That's why you always use full-disk encryption.
>>
File: fugg_off.png (189KB, 480x312px) Image search: [Google]
fugg_off.png
189KB, 480x312px
>>59233223
I don't send my laptops for repairs.
>>
>>59233223
Had to send it way too many times. Anyway, I don't use its original HDD, I use an SSD with a clean Windows 7 installation. Before sending it I just replace the disk with the one the laptop came with, which has no personal data on it, because I never used it.
>>
depending on what broke they may wipe out your hard disk anyways so you have to backup your shit, and since you're backupping you may as well wipe out your hdd too when you're done
>>
>>59233223
I have a Thinkpad, I don't need to send it for repairs.
>>
>>59233223
You don't want the repair people to steal your memes and anime cuties right?
For real though if you have any lolis you could maybe get in trouble.
>>
>>59233223
Repair it yourself you mong
Encrypt and backup your disk
>>
>>59233240
>>59233350
>>59234413
>>59234465
>>59236604
>repairing it myself
That voids the warranty doesn't it?

>>59236523
Exactly

>>59236498
Cool

>>59233400
Do you have an overview of how that works?

>>59234475
Well I'd prefer not to.
>>
>>59237207
>Do you have an overview of how that works?
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/documentation
>>
>>59237207
>That voids the warranty doesn't it?

>current year 45^2 - 8
>not fixing things yourself
>not having a laptop with access to the disk without dismantling it
>not encrypting the disk
>not making backups
>falling for the warranty meme
>>
>>59237251
Thank you

>>59237267
Sorry but I'm not a mechanic or a computer science major.
>>
>>59237551
You're on /g/ you fucking weeb, if you don't at least know how to disassemble your computer i suggest you fuck off or start learning.
Just google "how to disassemble/open <your laptop model>" and have a look around. You'll learn loads
>>
File: im_ok_with_it.png (102KB, 452x307px) Image search: [Google]
im_ok_with_it.png
102KB, 452x307px
>>59237207
The trick is to buy laptops that break after waranty, preferably 6+ years after waranty.

So far it werks.
>>
>>59233223
I don't. But I also don't have a huge lolicon collection or worse.
>>
>>59237207
>Well I'd prefer not to.

Perfect. So now you got two options:

Either you can live with the uncertainty and just send it in.

Or if you realize you can't let go of the anxiety that something might go wrong. Create a clone of the hard drive and save it up somewhere else. Then format the HDD, delete pictures, whatever is needed to feel safe. You could create something like Clonezilla for this.
>>
fix it yourself you fucking newfag
>>
>>59238444
What if I just encrypt the drive?
>>
>>59233223
just remove the drive or encrypt it

most laptops have easy to access drives so you can just remove a few screws and unplug it in less than a few minutes
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.