[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am learning emacs for memeing purpose but I leave the door

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Richard-Stallman.jpg (41KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
Richard-Stallman.jpg
41KB, 800x534px
I am learning emacs for memeing purpose but I leave the door open for it to become my main editor if I feel like switching from vim (and if I don't get RSI in the process).

What resources would /g/ recommend?
I am doing the built-in tutorial for the 3rd time but I'd like to see other material.
>Brainlet friendly video tutorial but no "retarded click-here-click-there with an indian accent"-tier.
>No "lol just use evil mode" or going straight deep into autism without understanding what I'm doing first.
>>
>>59231605
First of all, fuck evil mode. If you want that, just use/stick with vim. Second, you don't need anything other than the built-in tutorial. Finally, when you have a grasp on emacs, google MELPA and see if it's anything you'd be interested in.
>>
>>59231605
Emacs is completely self-documented. Nuff said.
>>
>>59231605
FSF have a giant documentation for you (free in every way).
>>
The best learning materials you can get are books. Just search for emacs master. It takes some time to get used to the keybindings, but once you get the flow of it, you will type way faster. Don't forget M-x butterfly
>>
>>59231943
>M-x butterfly
You never, ever show this feature to newbies. What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>59231833

Emacs is love, Emacs is life, but I'll never give up my evil mode because of shit like this.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/88399/how-do-i-duplicate-a-whole-line-in-emacs
>>
>>59232397
http://stackoverflow.com/a/88440

I don't use currently emacs, but my not so wild guess is, it works.
>>
Emacs is a great Operating System with a mediocre text editor
>>
Honestly just use Spacemacs
>>
Emacs is better because it's so hackable. You can turn it into Vim if you want.
>>
>>59232557
Vim is better because it's so hackable. You can turn it into Emacs if you want.
>>
>>59231605

you already know vim and then you learn Emacs on top of that? what kind of special fucking idiot are you, they are the same thing. And BAD at it both.
Just use a regular editor you autistic sperg

*sigh*
>>
>>59231605
What about all this emacs/vim debate? What makes them better than Windows Editor?
>>
>>59232529
I went from vim to spacemacs and its all good
>>
>>59232688
Well, consider it a hobby. I find /g/ memes enjoyable. Installing exotic source based linux distros, ricing from time to time, being autistic about details nobody notices on my Latex and R markdown automatic reports... That's what I do to kill time on weekends.

At least, I don't vidya and don't have to buy GPU more expensive than my rent, so I'm all good with myself.
>inb4
>>implying
I don't project, just thinking out loud.
>>
https://tuhdo.github.io/emacs-tutor.html
The book Mastering Emacs.
The GNU elisp and emacs manuals are great for reference.
#emacs on freenode
C-h a to get documentation for any function or variable.

To begin with I would suggest only installing the packages which-key and helm. They make it much easier to discover the rest of the editor and provide functionality that doesn't need to be explicitly learnt. Which-key gives a popup that displays available keybindings and helm is a completing engine that lists and narrows relevant candidates at any prompt.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.