[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (1MB, 1300x994px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1300x994px
i'm slightly pissed offff, started a new job 3 months back, everything is fine.... the only thing that's bothering me is the general technical knowledge of our senior 'engineers'. One of them (i know him personally) told me that he spent an entire weekend reinstalling his video drivers, because his display didn't seem right - wtf ??? - turned out he has 1366x768 resolution. We use laptops and docking stations at work, and every fucking guy has some kind of scaling problems, like the mail client is zoomed in and blurry, no body seems to know why.... it's the bloody scaling you fuckers! I also see senior guys using "show taskbar buttons on all displays". There's no justification in using this over just showing the buttons on the display, where they are opened. Thank you, i said it.

I have a general question tho - i started as a QA, but my team leaders' plans were to let me implement at some point in time, since they saw I have some programming background. I'm already finishing my first project, but still have to test from time to time, but it's already pretty boring compared to the tasks from the said project. Is there any point in deliberately doing my testing projects bad, to transfer quicker to the new dev position ? Or should I rather wait for the things to sort out themselves ?

also, general career thread
>>
>>59230062
If you're bored then you should get some personal projects going so that you can flesh out your public portfolio more and transition to a company or team that is going to engage and interest you more.

Your other issues are just because people are people. Sometimes they do dumb things, and that can be annoying, but how you deal with that is up to you. You can either write them off as dumb, or you can offer to lend a hand and improve their lives. The latter will be more fulfilling for you and also earn you their respect. The former will distance you from them and make it harder for you to be considered part of the "core team".

Choose your battles, and your tactics, carefully.
>>
>>59230141
good points, thank you.

i'm afraid my 1st post was more hateful than intended - I have a grumpy morning, with not enough coffee and and over-active daughter.

I don't regard them as dumb, they are actually good at what they are doing, just it's the way they are doing it. It's just that i can learn what they are doing good - project management and shit, but they probably won't learn how to fix their scaling issues, and they don't care, but do htey have to care ?
One time i went to my supervisor to ask him something, and saw him using winamp with the classic skin, it was like a flashback, wtf, am I in the matrix or something ? And I hear from him "i have no idea" too often, sometimes I manage to fix highly specific features all by myself, but I think I can use this to shine through. Also, i stopped giving my opinion unwanted some time ago, too few people appreciate this hsit
>>
>>59230062
First paragraph is lol windows bullshit who fucking cares about your dumb gay windows setup preferences you moron, those senior engineers show up to work in Teslas and Mercedes, think about this a little harder

Paragraph 2: Don't do a shitty job. But...

Never become great at something you don't like doing.
>>
>>59230729
actually, they all come with the public transport, i even meet one of the leaders of our department in the bus, he lives nearby. We talked about coming to work with bicycles when summer finally comes. I'm not exactly sure what your point is, what country are you thinking about, the USA ? I'm in central and german-speaking Europe.

>Never become great at something you don't like doing.
that is actually bothering me. I took the job as QA, because the company where I used to work was turning to shit, and got a surprise offer from this place. Next week I have some bugfixing to do and hopefully I can deliver the project, receive good feedback from the consultants/client and hopefully this will get heard from the big guys. I don't know what they have in mind, but maybe the first dev project would be crucial for my future in the company.
>>
>>59230729
>bullshit who fucking cares about your dumb gay windows setup preferences you moron

i prefer my gay shit being usable, friend
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.