[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How well does your computer run applications under 100% load?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1436145893096.jpg (33KB, 506x600px) Image search: [Google]
1436145893096.jpg
33KB, 506x600px
How well does your computer run applications under 100% load?

For example if you were to encode a video with x264, or compile a large C program, you should be using 100% of your processor on all cores.

Can you smoothly move around windows on your desktop like that? Can you run games or OpenGL programs smoothly? The Linux kernel has a lot of options related to this and I've been changing options in the kernel for years looking for the best config.
>>
>>59229468

>I've been changing options in the kernel for years looking for the best config

Well before you waste years experimenting with stupid shit you should educate yourself on the basics, because encoding videos and compiling stuff are tasks that don't even grow properly horizontally. You don't get to use 100% of all your cores by doing that stuff.
>>
>>59229468
For me everything starts to lag when CPU's at 100%. I also get freezes when my RAM fills up and swap is being tried to be used.

Anyone got any solution for that? Arch here.
>>
>>59229525
>Well before you waste years experimenting with stupid shit

Changing config options in the kernel isn't stupid shit.

> encoding videos and compiling stuff are tasks that don't even grow properly horizontally. You don't get to use 100% of all your cores by doing that stuff.

htop shows constant 100% cpu usage on all cores when compiling with GCC, or encoding with x264.
>>
This kind of situation (100% to some extent) is something I have problems with as well. Instead of tweaking kernel configs I've just run programs like cpufreq or cpulimit (protip: set a manual fan speed) or tried to make use of cgroups where I can. My limits tend to be network/IO more than RAM or CPU on most of my computers, though. Any tips?
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.