[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THE DEFINITIVE PROS/CONS LIST OF MAJOR OPERATING SYSTEMS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: black-desktop-computer.jpg (47KB, 1000x714px) Image search: [Google]
black-desktop-computer.jpg
47KB, 1000x714px
>macOS
Pros:
>special attention paid to UX engineering and design
>less buttons to click to perform common tasks
>UNIX based with full coreutils and proprietary software support
>comes with botnet stuff (Siri, Apple apps, iTunes) if you want to use it, can be disabled easily
>software developed for it feels more polished because of Apple's strict UI/UX guidelines
>Genius Bar support for free unless its a hardware issue
>a few games available
Cons:
>locked down so you can't really go against the grain with it
>restrictive hardware options
>no built in package manager (might also be a pro depending on your views)
>some parts feel childish on the surface, but still retain the advanced options beneath the surface

>Windows
Pros:
>25+ years of backwards compatibility
>largest software library available
>games
Cons:
>viruses
>malware
>hacking countermeasures standard in other OSes are either missing or gimped to death
>hardware is very much "you get what you pay for"
>professional support is spotty and subcontracted to death
>driver quality is random as fuck
>botnet can't be turned off easily

>Linux
Pros:
>free as in beer/freedom
>little to no botnet
>all OS level APIs are available to program with, so you get amazing software capabilities
Cons:
>only indie games
>GUI APIs differ dramatically depending on what DE you're using
>driver quality is up to whichever NEET is reverse engineering your hardware
>most software companies don't publish on it out of fear of piracy
>the userbase has the highest shitposting and cancer ratios of modern computing
>>
>>59228473
>windows
>hardware is very mich "you get what you paid for"
>driver quality is random as fuck
This depends if its a prebuilt or oem, amd or intel
>>
>>59228528
>prebuilt is usually more expensive than OEM
>"You get what you pay for"
I don't get your point.
>>
>>59228563
Still, you pay for cheap msi trash, you get garbo hardware. You preorder ryzen 1800x, youre a retard
>>
>>59228473
you are talking about operating systems so why bring up hardware or games neither of those have to do with the operating system
>>
File: 6oVgUvu.png (555KB, 3300x3140px) Image search: [Google]
6oVgUvu.png
555KB, 3300x3140px
>>59228621
>>
>>59228621
Macs are locked to one specific set of hardware that tends to work decently, while Windows works on a lot of hardware with varying levels of functionality.

I felt it needed to be mentioned.
>>
>>59228473
MacOS, you become a faggot.

I'd say it's a con, but knowing you OP: you'd rate it as a pro.
>>
>>59228723
>2017
>even giving a fuck about people's sexual orientation
>>
>>59228473
>restrictive hardware options
So my 2011 MBP has easily-accessible, user-replaceable HDD, RAM and battery.

My 2015 rMBP has the RAM and SSD soldered onto the mobo and the shit's all glued together.

Considering everyone loves copying Apple, are PC notebooks as fucked as this these days? I gots to do iOS/macOS dev amongst other things so I haven't bothered in years.
>>
>>59228738
>encouraging degeneracy in trump's America
>>
>>59228992
Business and gaming laptops usually don't have the problem, but mainstream laptops do.
>>
>>59228473
doesn't realize steam is on Linux and WPS Office for linux blows MS Office out the water.
>>
>>59228473
The #1 Pro of Windows Client is Windows Server.

With this, you can use:
- MDT/SCCM to push out OS images and drivers and reimage any new or existing device
- Group Policy to configure all of your preferences and mapped drives to your SAN
- SCCM to push out all of your software
- WSUS/SCCM to push out updates
- SCDPM for centralized backup, SCOM for monitoring

Your domain provides a consistent computing experience across all of your devices, customized precisely the way you want, with no manual configuration effort required when configured correctly; just push F12.
>>
>>59228473
>definitive list of major operating systems
>No Android
>No iOS
>No BSD

ur full of it
>>
>>59228473
You left out Windows biggest strength on the desktop: best utilization of your hardware.

Windows will get the best performance from your GPU and CPU. Windows will support your on-board RAID when Linux usually won't.
>>
>>59228473
I can tell you have little to know experience with Linux based on your incredibly short "pro" list. Without Linux the internet would cease to exist over night. Fuck off.
>>
>>59231927
>Android
it's a linux Distro therefore linux(sorry Stallman)
>iOS
It's a mobile OS just like OSX, who cares?
>BSD
*Nix system that not a lot of people use, most of them do it ironically. Offers nothing that other major OSes do, so why include it?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.