[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets be honest, Linux will never succeed as a desktop OS, never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: unzip-centos.png (41KB, 505x250px) Image search: [Google]
unzip-centos.png
41KB, 505x250px
Lets be honest, Linux will never succeed as a desktop OS, never
>>
>>59226021
>t. mactoddler
>>
File: 1469528133376.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
1469528133376.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
>>59226021
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
It already has. As long as it works for me (which it does) then I don't give a shit what other people think of it.
>>
>>59226021
not when its fully optimize for server workloads

if they gave two shits about desktop theyd offer a release fully desktop optimize
>>
Linux as a desktop OS is already succeeeding.

> measuring success by adaptation
>>
>>59226148
>no amd drivers
>mouse and printer dosent work
>can't even change wallpaper without freezing the OS

Linux is sure succeeding on desktop...
>>
>>59226193
what are you actually talking about?
>>
>>59226229
Linux as a desktop OS
>>
>>59226245
none of the things you claimed are true
>>
>>59226021

I've been running Linux on my shit since 1998 and I will admit that op has a good point, mostly because the developers are out of touch with the needs of desktop users and they don't want to lose their little nerd club and ridiculous sundry shite games from the 90's. Linux needs organization, it needs unity and serious leadership.

It is a shame, almost as if it has been purposely sabotaged and prevented from meeting its true potential - which is immense. The tech is there.
>>
>>59226267
I used ganoot/Lenox and they are tru
>>
>>59226271
This
>>
File: linux desktop.jpg (206KB, 1253x866px) Image search: [Google]
linux desktop.jpg
206KB, 1253x866px
>>59226021
If it's bad, it's not going to get adopted. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>59226285
It's because you're a dumbass and can't set it up
>>
>kernel doesn't even have a properly written HAL
>Expects to take over the desktop market
L O L
O
L
>>
>>59226036

but macOS is build on Unix and has a terminal.

Its more appealing to any Linux User than windows. Why are you fcking windows shills so god damn stupid?
>>
>>59226193

Are you retarded? Or just pretending, shit's plug and play.
>>
>>59226114
Literally this

Fuck off nonfree shills
>>
>>59226021
I've been using it for my desktop OS for over ten years, so as far as I'm concerned, it has already succeeded.
>>
>>59226271
>I've been running Linux on my shit since 1998
Typical shill tactic.
>try to look unbiased
>still back biased "opinion"

OP wrote a stupid and unoriginal one liner that means literally nothing aside b8.
>>
>>59226193
I'm team green, so i don't care about ayymd, but i use printer and mouse on linux since 2002. The freeze shows that you should go to an asylum or use OS for retards in a basement, so nobody can see the symptoms of your brain damage.
>>
>>59226021
people will gradually stop using desktops

everything will be le tablet cloud

games will be streamed to the tablet

the only people using desktops will be using LUnux
>>
>>59229940
That's not true at tall. In 20 years we'll have edgy autists using desktops exclusively because they were born in the wrong year.

Oh wait...
>>
>>59226021
just like windows will never succeed as network appliance
>>
>>59226021
The "Year of the Linux Desktop" happened at least a decade ago, and everything since then has just been icing on the cake.

Linux never stopped moving forward, and mass adoption isn't required for an excellent desktop OS.
>>
>>59226125
Who is they?

You have no idea what you're talking about dude just leave
>>
maybe true until I told this bitch in gym class that she was too fat to run laps, and needed slim fast
>>
>>59229940
That sounds like hell on earth. How do you expect me to type on a tablet?
>>
>>59226021
"Succeed" in the sense of being as common as Windows or even MacOS? Probably not, but it honestly doesn't really matter.
>>
>>59230425
With the attached keyboard.
>>
>>59229940
>LUnux
Are you from France?
>>
>>59226021
Reason for your post?
There are actually people using linux as their main desktop OS, you know?
Everyday using.
If you're really that dumb to not understand why linux has less users than windows or macOS, then you should leave.
Here is not a place for underage children.
>>
>>59226148
>>59226193
>>59226245
>>59226271
>>59227616
>>59229840
>>59229940
>>59229989
>>59231395
Friendly reminder that Linux is just a kernel. It's used on phones with the Android OS and used on desktops with the GNU OS.

A "Linux Desktop" would be only possible if the kernel would develop into a complete operating system inclusive desktop enviroment like GNOME or KDE.
>>
>>59231528
Friendly reminder that Linux desktop include everything you can run with Linux kernel.
>>
>>59226021
The Year of the Linux Desktop is five years away.
And always will be.
>>
>>59231556
https://www.kernel.org/ show me the desktop part
>>
>>59226021
Fine.
>>
>>59231528
>A "Linux Desktop" would be only possible if the kernel would develop into a complete operating system inclusive desktop enviroment like GNOME or KDE.
A Linux desktop is a desktop that's running Linux, regardless of whether it's with a GNU userland, a BSD userland, Android, or anything else.

If I call a car with a V8 engine a V8 car, that's correct enough, and some pedant going on about how an engine is not a complete car is bringing nothing useful or interesting to the discussion.
>>
>>59226021
Desktop OSes will fail. Owning the machine that your programs run on is too much freedom.
>>
>>59232367
why is is called android instead of just linux desktop?
>>
>>59232404
Well, it's not usually running on desktops, for a start. But you can package the Linux kernel with whatever you like and call the result whatever you like. In Android's case, basically marketing reasons; calling it something unique sells it better than Linux Phone.
>>
>>59232430
To be honest, Linux colloquially usually implies POSIX environment, Unix philosophy and being free to a large degree, and Android is neither of these in practice.
>>
>>59226271
What do you mean by "organization, and serious leadership"? Does Redhat count?
And why are those needed? Are they really needed at all? Perhaps Linux works better when it's decentralised? Or if it doesn't, what would we gain and what would we lose from this "organization"?
And it certainly can't be the same type of "organization" as something like Apple has because Linux is structurally different. So, what are your ideas about how it should be organised?
Your post is too vague.
>>
>>59226021
It'll obviously never suceed because the code in it is absolute garbage.
>>
>>59226021
linux is fun to mess around with

that's about it.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.