[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why 90s are so comfy in terms of computer aesthetics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1-18.png (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1-18.png
29KB, 640x480px
Why 90s are so comfy in terms of computer aesthetics?
>>
File: d1inst.gif (37KB, 643x480px) Image search: [Google]
d1inst.gif
37KB, 643x480px
>>59223757
It was the dithering and the lack of excessive self-awareness.
>>
File: materialdesign[1].jpg (231KB, 4840x2090px) Image search: [Google]
materialdesign[1].jpg
231KB, 4840x2090px
Because of your nostalgia goggles. Material Design is objectively god-tier.
>>
>>59223811
material design has information density of a children's toy
>>
>>59223811
ugfh
>>
>>59223811

MAКE EVERYTHING
SPACED

>god-tier
>>
Because it's familiar, simple, and someone actually sat and thought about what people would find pleasant to look at instead of just going with popular trends. The colors of the OS are specifically chosen to be easily visible and pleasant to look at for long periods of time. What was great about the Classic Desktop were the fully-customizable colors, element and font sizing that allowed you to make the Windows interface almost exactly as you want.

To be fair, Win98-ish pixel-skeuomorphic design was kind of a trend all their own in the '90s but it was a very computer-centric style, while the modern flat "material" design used now is found in modern advertising and non-PC interfaces, making the operating system's "style" stand out less. They've gradually removed the user's freedom to customize the interface in any meaningful way, and hidden options that used to be out in the open while making it harder to read (esp. for old people) and substituting colorized, detailed icons for vague shapes and gesture responses. They've done it like this because no one at Microsoft knows how to work with old Windows, and the new one's UI can be prototyped with Powerpoint, which pleases the big wigs who can now "participate" in the development process.
>>
>>59223811
material design is nice on a cell phone, but on a high performance device with a mouse and keyboard I want thicc, unantialiased, bright and visible pixel art and 3d buttons that visibly push in when I click them.

i mean i want that on a cell phone too but no one who makes cell phone operating systems can design an interface worth shit because they're too busy just tying to hide the lag.
>>
File: dscn1142s.jpg (561KB, 2027x1246px) Image search: [Google]
dscn1142s.jpg
561KB, 2027x1246px
THICC borders on everything

and light beige/grey color scheme = cozy
>>
no sarcasm, I really do miss THICC borders on monitors.. makes you feel more focused on the screen
>>
>>59223789
What excessive self-awareness?
>>
>>59224749
when design rotates through the same round, flat, high color, low color memes because it needs to look different.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.