[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building little nas help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled.png (109KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
109KB, 1920x1080px
I'm thinking of building a nas and after some research, it is suggested that I use ecc ram to prevent data corruption. I chose to go with a g4560 and it says on intel's specs page that it supports ecc ram, as well as the motherboard that I selected. However, whenever i go to filter the ram for ecc, nothing pops up. I tried removing the compatibility filter and it says that the ram is not compatible with my cpu. Is this a mistake on pcpartpicker's account, or am I missing something here?
>>
File: Untitled2.png (115KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
115KB, 1920x1080px
and with motherboard as well. Both say they support ecc ram
>>
>>59215133
>>59215161
Obligatory >g/sqt/ link, but I'll help you regardless.
Quick googling says that the g4560 doesn't support ECC memory, and to be fair, ECC is only useful for extra-large implementations like workstation servers and bank mainframes that process hundreds of thousands of requests daily. For a home NAS, the risk of corruption is far, far too small to warrant the necessity of ECC RAM.

Also, I'd suggest going with something like a celeron/athlon if you want to go purely NAS, as you won't need the G4560's power unless you plan to transcode/use it as a HTPC.
Plus, it's easier on power consumption.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.