[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In reality, how important are Windows updates to your overall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: vista.jpg (55KB, 700x182px) Image search: [Google]
vista.jpg
55KB, 700x182px
In reality, how important are Windows updates to your overall security? I hear some people really play it up as it you're basically a sitting duck for getting hacked if you don't let Windows update run amok. At the same time, I hear people say they run a completely clean installation of Windows 7 without any updates.
I mean, is the Windows OS really so fundamentally flawed that it has to constantly get security patches in order to remain usable?
>>
File: pepe time.jpg (32KB, 545x362px) Image search: [Google]
pepe time.jpg
32KB, 545x362px
>Windows Vista came out 11 years ago
>>
>>59210360
You already have all ports on any router automatically blocked.
The OS itself has many ways to break it with physical access but over the internet it's fine, for the most part.

The updates mostly fix shit like: If a user does X he can circumvent samba security and access settings to access a file share on the local network without this update.
>>
>>59210360
>In reality, how important are Windows updates to your overall security?
0%
>>
>using windows in 2017
>>
File: cuckdetector.png (9KB, 586x278px) Image search: [Google]
cuckdetector.png
9KB, 586x278px
>>59210519
I dual boot Windows 7 and Linux.
Windows is just more comfy for me.
>>
>>59210519
>arch
>1400 packages
What have you done?
>>
>>59210543
>Greentext is black
Sir, what have *you* done?
>>
>>59210564
>$CURRENT YEAR
>he doesn't know how to blackpost
>>
>>59210584
>[spoiler]test[/spoiler]
>>
>again
>:stopmusic: lol
>>
>>59210584
>blackposting

Go hang yourself, nigger.
>>
>>59210360
>In reality, how important are Windows updates to your overall security?

It depends on what you use your computer for and how much of a fucking retard you are. My Windows XP machine has had less infections in its lifetime (10 years and counting) than my mother's year old Windows 10 laptop.
>>
>>59210360
Not needed. Just don't download any music.mp3.exe and you are set. Fear is a great way to get people to do stuff
>>
There is no fucking reason not to. Not installing updates and some form of security software is the domain of cocksure babbys who think they're tech savvy, and I know because I used to be like that.
>>
>>59210360
>how important are Windows updates to your overall security?
Depends.
Vital security updates are the ones that fix various vulnerabilities on your system - these ones can protect you from stuff your common sense won't be able to.
If you're running a somewhat modern Win7 you can get away without security updates as the biggest holes were already patched away.

Nowadays, the most common way to get a virus on your PC is to download and launch it yourself while giving it all permissions. However, from time to time people find a loophole that allows them to take control over your PC in one way or another and force it to run some script without asking for anything.

Generally speaking, if you aren't connected to a local network and you are using a proper firewall - you can get away without recent updates and be pretty much safe.
>>
>>59213583
> Nowadays, the most common way to get a virus on your PC is to download and launch it yourself while giving it all permissions.
> However, from time to time people find a loophole that allows them to take control over your PC in one way or another and force it to run some script without asking for anything.
This. OP, run EMET, it may help you if you're running an unsupported Windows OS. BTW, I'm sure people are going to get updates for Vista modifying it as a Server 2008.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.