[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey any of you majoring in engineering technology? What type

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1488339368775.jpg (108KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
1488339368775.jpg
108KB, 1152x864px
Hey any of you majoring in engineering technology? What type of jobs do they offer in that field?
>>
>>59209495

You're basically one tier above normal technicians but still below the engineers. You'd be a liaison of sorts between technicians and engineers.
>>
>>59209602
What exactly do they do? Work with hardware? I am looking into a program where they require you to take computer science and engineering technology course. Im wondering wether or not that would be useful together???
>>
>>59209757

Look at jobs that interest you regardless of the degree requirements. Compile a list and see if engineering technology is accepted for a number of the interesting jobs.
>>
>>59209757
The two are worlds apart my man.

ET, IET specifically basically deals with, well, the technology itself, not the theory or abstraction behind it, which is what you will get in CS. ET is working directly hands on with the tech, software and hardware (which includes networking, security, microcontrollers/FPGA's, and virtualization/Hypervisors).

If you actually like working with computers and hardware and how it all relates to the real IT infrastructure and management of the world, then ET is for you. If you just want to sit behind a keyboard and pound away punching out code, for a lot of theoretical applications, then go for CS.

t. ET major
>>
>>59209838
*and server administration as well, that itself including Databases, Domain Servers, email Exchange servers, web servers, cloud services servers, etc etc etc..
>>
>tfw dont know if want to be database admin or dev
>>
>>59209818
I like that idea
>>
>>59209838
Yea its alittle hard to figure out but i just found out of this engineering technology and im intrigued.
>>
>>59210025
I get it man. You're not the first, nor will you be the last. I guess it's just the marketing they do in HS and in the media or something. They manipulate kids who show promise with computer technology into doing Computer Science, and because of the sole virtue of it having the word "computer" in it, they think they're going to actually work with computers when that couldn't be further from the truth.

People think it's either CS or EE/CE, but don't realize there's a literally perfect middle ground called ET, and while ET definitely doesn't require as much brains as the prior two mentioned, it's just about as important because what good is all the technology we have if nobody knows how to utilize it, manage it, fix it, and keep it alive?

ET/IT is an emerging field with an emerging market, and the demand is only going up (assuming good job policies are set in place) as more and more technology and information is added and the more we get connected.

I'll tell you a little "secret" (it's not really a secret, people just don't pay attention). The two highest demand and fastest projected growing ET/IT markets right now are in Networking and Security. More things are becoming connected every single day, we've officially run out of IPv4 addressing space, fiber installations still need to happen and be maintained, and all these things connected together have to be secured, otherwise it's all for naught as any Russian hacker can cripple literally the world infrastructure.

Security itself, however, applies to every ET/IT field, not just networking. If you have a solid background in security, you are almost instantly hired. Very high demand for competent security people.
>>
>>59210179
Yeah i hear alot about computer science and how its a growing field, but i feel like its going to become over saturated. i thought maybe i could take something with CS or just move my interest to another discipline. Luckily i got an answer from a few anons.
>>
>>59210324
No, CS is not a growing field, and it's already oversaturated as fuck with totally unqualified degree recipients. It's a lie, and I'm not sure why this meme is being pushed so hard on CS in particular.

For actual software and programming jobs in a practical sense, as in what people want and demand, you're better off with Software Engineering if it's available, but even better is a personal portfolio with a Git and everything. CS isn't going to get you jack shit except "research" or just yet another cycle of the student becoming the professor.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.