[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is 'iBeacons' a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: beacon.png (168KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
beacon.png
168KB, 500x268px
ELI5 me why this device is a meme-ppliance, and why is it because they have zero conceivable purpose whatsoever?
>>
I'm serious, is there any practical use of this things at all? It seems so pointless. Where are they being used and what for?
If I have to download and install special apps on my phone, and more annoyingly-- have the running all the time, just to get some ad when I'm near a McDonalds or something... that sounds way more headache than it's worth.
>>
>>59208761
Because too many people have Bluetooth disabled on their phones to save battery.

It doesn't work if people have Bluetooth disabled.

OS makers need to give people option of having Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) enabled but non-LE regular Bluetooth disabled if they want iBeacon/ultra-local location beacon thing to take off.
>>
>>59208926
The idea is that iBeacons can be used like extremely precise GPS inside buildings.

For example, theoretically, if iBeacons are installed correctly and the Maps app know where each iBeacons are, you can do things like asking the app where a specific shampoo is and the app can tell you whether to continue walking forward, turn left here, turn right here, until you arrive right in front of the shampoo you want.
>>
>>59208965
Turns out, it's really difficult to calibrate the iBeacons to make the indoor location triangulation work without having a trained (i.e. expensive) pros with industrial GPS devices sweep the property, and you can't trust minimum wage workers to not move or knock over the iBeacons accidentally once installed.
>>
>>59208761
if you need to transmit some kind of data with as little power as possible.
>>
It's a botnet. We should create an app that sends malware to them and overwrites their firmware.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.