[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: go.png (58KB, 607x318px) Image search: [Google]
go.png
58KB, 607x318px
What went wrong?
>>
It didn't go.
>>
File: portrait.jpg (19KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
portrait.jpg
19KB, 500x335px
>>59201775
>>
>>59201802

>Rob Pike

Literal cuck wants affirmative action for women:

https://commandcenter.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-power-of-role-models.html
>>
>>59201802
Current level of Google
>>
>>59201775
When they didn't include any facility for metaprogramming in the language.
>>
>>59201849
>person's scientifical achievements are invalidated by his political alignment
epic my dear redditor, go back to /r/thedonald
>>
>>59202144
>metaprogramming

Scala.
>>
>>59202171
Well you should keep your political opinions to yourself so yes
>>
>>59201775
>GC
>no generics
>jack of all trades aka not the best at anything aka not the best option for literally any problem
>people only use it because it's from google whom they worship
>>
>>59202209
Internet is a place of free speech.
It's not like drumpfedditors could ever understand it.
>>
>>59202226
It sure is. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. And that goes for all sides
>>
>>59201775
Nothing?
>>
>>59202221

Go has:

>Variadic Functions
>Closures
>Recursion
>Pointers
>Structs
>Interfaces

Which is all you need.
>>
>>59202290
low level - C or Rust
mid level - Java or C#
high level - javascript, python, ruby, lua, etc
concurrency/functional - elixir or clojure

so where does go fit in? are you gonna use a GC language for systems programming? are you gonna use a low level language with minimal ecosystem for mid level tasks?
>>
>>59202405
>so where does go fit in?
In the ass of Gayglers.
>>
>>59202405
>Rust
>Java and C# as "mid level"
>elixir as a language
2/10 I replied
>>
>>59201775
Computers got better than humans at it. No point in trying anymore. Thanks a lot Google.
>>
>>59201775
Say what you want, but it has already achieved more mainstream success than Rust. Despite of the Rust cult.

Incidentally, history says all language with big company's support will succeed.
>>
>>59201775
It has a shitty type system. That's the single largest issue with Go.

It is the underlying issue beneath all the other weirdness in Go, like append, the integrated map, absence of iterators (channels are not iterators), uselessness of their first class functions (you can't write a fucking "map"), etc.
>>
>>59202532
>Incidentally, history says all language with big company's support will succeed.

yeah like hack and dart huh??
>>
go is dope don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>59201775
>>59202405
I'm not the most experienced in Go yet, but I don't really see the problem. To me it feels both modern and efficient. Our company is seeing great preliminary results for backend work.
Though many libraries are missing, database and concurrency are done right in Go. Werks for me
>>
>>59202290

>>Variadic Functions
>>Closures
>>Recursion
>>Pointers
>>Structs
>>Interfaces

All with a GC that is only months away from having less than one millisecond GC pauses on average.

Impressive.
>>
>>59202581
have you heard of java or is this some kind of meme startup?
>>
>>59202581
>>59202592
OP clearly doesn't realize that companies aren't actually buying into the /g/ memes.
>>
>>59202290
dont forget a shitty syntax structure for a 21 century lang
>>
>>59202532
>Say what you want, but it has already achieved more mainstream success than Rust.
Yeah, because it is used in the following worthwile software: {}.

Also, see >>59202555 similar to how the hype around Googles other JS replacement, TypeScript and Swift died. Literally the only time where companies shilling a language had any long term effect was Java and that is because the alternative was C with classes.
>>
>>59202592
>one millisecond GC pauses on average.

systems-level programs worry about nanosecond efficiency. no one in their right mind would use go for this.
>>
>>59202670
>Yeah, because it is used in the following worthwile software: {}.
Doesn't get much more retarded than that.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (57KB, 508x400px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
57KB, 508x400px
>>59201802
>>
>>59202686
Well, too bad throw-away web memes don't count.
>>
>>59201775
Garbage collector
Opinionated language with bad opinions
>>
>>59202670
They have a nosql replacement too. :^)
>>
>>59202405
Its supposed to be readable and efficient enough. Like python, but faster than Java.
>>
>>59202681
sub-microsecond, yes. nanosecond-level is bullshit though.

you can count cycles and measure average performance, but CPUs and DRAM are waaaay too nondeterministic from a software viewpoint to ever make ns-perfect code.

> t. HFT platform architect
>>
>>59202739
>Like python, but faster than Java.

This. C and Go is everything the world ever needed.
>>
>>59202592
For specific benchmark scenarios, yes.
The GC is not tuneable, and for any serious garbage collector, tunability is what makes it tick. There is no such thing as a generic and optimal garbage collector.
>>
>>59202732
They have a lot of too-much-money-to-not-reinvent-the-wheel-squared stuff. Facebook as well.
Twitter on the other, doesn't. And they don't even get Bootstrap 4 done.
>>
>>59202758
obviously not accurate enough for 1 ns differences but 10-100 ns is measurable.
>>
>>59202884
I don't mean measuring, I mean in the ability to guarantee 99.9-whateverth percentile performance in running software.

Every TLB miss or unserendipitously evicted cache line instantly costs 10s of nanoseconds even when the memory controllers aren't already backed up with queued requests and the interconnects (on chip or off) aren't busy with other traffic.

Obviously ms-level pauses are a complete joke to any sort of serious system programmer, I'm just arguing that saying "X worry about ns efficiency" is hyperbolic to the point of being somewhat discrediting.
>>
>>59202619
We're serving JSON, not stack overflows
>>
>>59203219
i know you're memeing but there are several json marshalling libraries in java, and stack overflows are the result of shitty code, not the language you're using.
>>
>>59202441
Exdee
>>
>>59202290
Please add Generics
And make GC optional
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.