[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graphic performance on Mac

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: imac-gallery1-2015.jpg (591KB, 2000x1536px) Image search: [Google]
imac-gallery1-2015.jpg
591KB, 2000x1536px
Why are games faster on my iMac when I boot into Windows vs running the same games on macOS?
>>
>>59200879

optimization probably

also heavily depends on the game
>>
>>59200879
>Apple
>>
>>59200879
3D performance is just absolute crap on Mac OS.
I'm not memeing
>>
>>59200939
Is there even an engineer working on macOS graphics systems full-time, or have they all been reassigned to iOS and never assigned back to computer side?
>>
>>59200879
>macOS
Found your problem.
>>
>>59200879
Because nearly no game on macOS as of now (at least the multi-platform ones) uses the Metal API
>>
>>59202964
>Metal API
>let's make yet another Mac-only API for game developers have to support when there aren't any games on Macs to begin with
>>
Apple chose to write their own drivers. They probably license a big chunk from AMD/Intel/Nvidia, but what they roll into a kernel module is their own work. They seem not to have as much time to optimize drivers as AMD/Nvidia/Intel themselves do.

Some games don't run well on OpenGL (that and Metal are your only options on macOS), so if it's a DirectX game on Windows that got a lot of hot love in the DirectX optimization department, that explains why the same in OpenGL didn't happen.

Some games are ported by third parties who are doing their best job (like Feral) but there's only so much you can do to port from DX to OGL in a decent amount of time so as not to go bankrupt. Some games are just shitty ports with cheap DX to OGL wrappers.

macOS is even more ghetto than Linux in this department, at least on Linux you get drivers from the graphics card makers.
>>
>>59203112
you can get official Nvidia drivers for Mac
>>
>>59200879
>games
>>59202964
>game
>>59203036
>games
>>59203112
>games
/v/iggers have taken over /g/ and they breed like rabbits
>>
>>59203036
>DX12
>let's make another API that's exclusive to the newest version of Windows, to lure people to upgrade, when the games that take advantage of it run as well using a previous version of the API
>>
>>59200879
Generally graphic performance is better under Winblows because it's not a priority for Fapple.

However, their new Metal API (similar to Vulkan) gives direct access to the GPU. It's just Fapple doesn't have the marketshare in GPU intensive applications so it probably won't get any better.
>>
>>59203130
Not for Pascal.

>t. Hackintosh with 980Ti SLI
>>
1.dx vs opengl
2. optimization from dev. side

macOS is better for things that matter :^)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.