[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Circuit boards and amplifiers are technology, right? Long time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3110.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3110.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
Circuit boards and amplifiers are technology, right?
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been dismantling and repairing music equipment (effect pedals and amplifiers) for a while now using the mighty Google as my main source of knowledge. Suppose I wanted to get into designing and building these from just a layout. How much knowledge is REALLY needed to get started? Do I really have to go through Electrical Engineering courses to know how each capacitor, resistor, transformer and tube affects the circuit?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>59186499
>mighty Google
>>
>>59186499
>Do I really have to go through Electrical Engineering courses to know how each capacitor, resistor, transformer and tube affects the circuit?
I mean, you need to learn enough about all of the components and the physics behind it. allaboutcircuits.com has a pretty good online course type thing.
>>
>>59186499

what you want is the art of electronics book as it's by far the definitive introduction to the subject, 'learning the art of electronics' is probably another good book, you should be able to find or buy copies of these books just about anywhere but try to get the 3rd edition (2015) as the 2nd edition is a few decades old at this point - it's not wrong just outdated, it's not strictly necessary to get these books but if you want a fighting chance you'll have to pick up a text book at some point

there's plenty of documentation and tutorials for learning electronics floating about too, and while it's not strictly related to audio you won't go wrong picking up some diy kits or even some cheap microcontroller stuff to give you some decent experience soldering and building example circuits

as far as audio stuff goes you'll tend to run into a lot of problems with finding bad circuits that are built by people who don't know what they're doing trying to sell snake oil but you won't know this without the proper knowledge or even tools, this shouldn't necessarily be a problem on stuff like guitar pedals but you'll then run into the issue of undocumented chips and the like, making trying to reproduce the circuits a nightmare

that said, you can find plenty of examples of 'open hardware' guitar pedals and the like which tend to have a lot of discussion and documentation surrounding them, an example I know of that I could recommend at least for a read is a cmoy pocket headphone amp build, it has a decent faq and various optional components, compares component choices, and has a troubleshooting section, it's basically what you'd want out of a diy audio guide and more, even if you have little interest in building one - https://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/

either way,
>Circuit boards and amplifiers are technology, right?

it's not consumer technology or a shill thread so it's going to drop to the bottom of the board fairly quickly, good luck, anon
>>
>>59186676
I think what I meant by this was, I know electrical engineering requires a ton of math above my current level. Will that come into play if I want a basic understanding of circuitry?

>>59186918
Thanks anon, that's a great help to me.
>>
>>59186499
>>59187578

I mess about with audio circuits all the time with no real knowledge of circuit design. After looking at a few diagrams and circuits for a bit Ive learned roughly how some basic ones work.
For the math part its all just looking up equations or calculators online.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.