[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>no amd drivers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: unzip-centos.png (41KB, 505x250px) Image search: [Google]
unzip-centos.png
41KB, 505x250px
>no amd drivers
>>
What happened with that thing where kernel maintainers rejected patches from AMD with the amdgpu drivers?
>>
>>59183902
There is "AMDGPU" and "radeon" for AMD cards.
>>
>>59183967

Linus is a retard. He boycotts AMD but then gets angry at Nvidia.
>>
>>59183967
They didn't reject patches. They rejected a whole HAL that AMD tried to push even though they were told it's not a good idea a whole year earlier.
I just hope AMD uses the profits from Ryzen to make better 3D drivers for Linux because they are a big joke right now.
>>
>>59184033
nVidia didn't try to push an unmaintainable abstraction layer just to spend even less time on their drivers.
>>
>>59184103
Because Nvidia doesn't even contribute at all besides some Tegra crap, nothing to push.
>>
>>59184033
>Linus is a retard.
Expecting bare minimum of quality is not being a retard. Linux codebase is already pretty bad as-is.
There's no need to make it even shittier by accepting whatever garbage AMD cobbled together.
I mean how fucking lazy you have to be? Majority of amdgpupro is nothing other but the opensource radeon drivers because AMD engineers are to inept to write something half-decent that actually works.

And then they have the audacity to ask for being less hard on them because "they're a Windows centric company!!! Just accept it we swear we'll make it better!".
No fucking shit mon, that's the fucking problem.
>>
>>59183902
Most patches for the Zen architecture were already merged, there shouldn't be any problems with Ryzen CPUs.
AMDGPU for GCN 1.2 and newer (there is experimental support for 1.1 and 1.0), radeon for older cards. Mesa + radeonsi works pretty good, but there is still a lot of room for improvements.
>>
>>59184059
So do some distros distribute the hardware abstraction layer and the rest of the amdgpu driver built into the kernel even though it's not part of the mainline kernel?
>>
>>59184029
Amdgpu and amdgpu-pro are both shit for gaming
>>
>>59183902
>Using Linux with a gui
>>
>>59184333
They'd have to patch and maintain their own fork of kernel and that would be very hard considering the size of that thing (~100k lines of code).
>>
>>59184382
I don't know or care about what you play really but as someone who doesn't really play anything else than CSGO, it runs very well for me with AMDGPU, not even using AMDGPU-PRO. Otherwise only desktop usage for me and 0 issues
>>
>>59184471
I couldn't even open steam without amdgpu-pro
>>
>>59184509
Then you are doing something wrong obviously.

Absolutely zero issues here with AMDGPU.
>>
>>59184509
No issues with AMDGPU here, with AMDGPU-PRO Steam would constantly crash.
I'm using Mesa 17 on Linux 4.9.11.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.