[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Surface a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

Is the Surface a meme?
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>59179561
No. I got a refurbished Surface 3 to use as a graphics tablet and no other product has ever exceeded my expectations in the same way. It can go for 12 hours just with a text editor open. It can last 6 hours using photoshop for drawing. It's lightweight, the screen is beautiful, the audio is excellent, the pen input is really good, I'm by no means a professional but it's accurate and has plenty of pressure levels. That keyboard thing is fine, nothing amazing but it gets the job done.

Only real complaints I have are it's a bit slow (lags on large brush inputs in Photoshop) and the kickstand, at least on the Surface 3, only has one position and it's not a good one for drawing, so I need to prop it up on something.

If you don't do any heavy computation (gaming, compiling big stuff, etc.) I highly recommend it as a laptop replacement, the difference between carrying it around vs. carrying around a fifteen inch laptop is profound.

Note: I use Linux most other devices but haven't tried installing it on the Surface so I have no idea how well that works, I just put up with Windows.
>>
>>59179561
using the sp4 4gb ram 128gb.
i do all programming with the WSL, works great so far.
one note is awesome.
display is awesome.
keyboard is usable.
>>
>>59180713
how's the battery?

also
>4gb ram
>>
if they used good digitiser tech it might be worth it. the n-trig digitiser is not suitable for drawing. handwritten notes is really all you could use it for. just get a laptop instead unless you really want something to take handwritten notes on.
>>
File: 20170301_225853.jpg (306KB, 680x630px) Image search: [Google]
20170301_225853.jpg
306KB, 680x630px
>>59180767
Another Anon here who bought one yesterday
i5 model bare minimum for this device for driving the 2736x1824 display
Pretty much the best thing about it, screen is fucking fantastic
Battery life on the other hand is sub-par, ~5.5 hours or ~7 with battery saving/dim screen
Not an issue for me however since I'm primarily using it for uni and the tiny power brick fits in my laptop bag
TLDR
+Beautiful screen
+Drawing pen works pretty well, crank up that pressure sensitivity though
+Keyboard is decent, use the tablet mode more than the conventional trackpad included though
+Great font rendering with PDF's

-Battery could be better
-DPI scaling may be an issue with older software, make sure you're not going to be disappointed if the software you need doesn't support higher DPI's
-B L O A T, fucking hell there is so much shitware crammed with these devices, literally minecraft and candycrush pre-installed, use powershell to delete shit with automated script packages, helps a lot.
-CPU performance could be a little bit better
-4GB Ram may be pushing it, watch those chrome tabs
>>
>>59180713
holding up well so far, like a day of light programming no VM no intensive bash tasks..

yes 4gb ram, works for me.. i'm not into gaming
>>
>>59179561
Can it run linux?
>>
>>59182099
yes, but why
>>
I have a surface pro 4.

I'm a student who has to type alot on the go so it's pretty nice. Took me awhile to get used to the keyboard.

When I'm at home I use my desk top computer instead of course.

Can't say anything about how well art applications are on it.
>>
>>59179561
Surface RT is a meme, avoid at all cost. Surface pro is cool
>>
>>59179561
Probably, but microsoft did a good job with setting a new standard for 2-in-1's, any such tablet pc with a kickstand, detachable keyboard and pen are all "Surface" competitors

It took them a while to improve on the pro 1 all the way to the pro 4 and I think microsoft get to be proud of their surface line up, even though quality control is shit but they'll replace your surface for any reason you can think of (Only in the US though), whether it be a speck of dust behind the screen, a dead pixel, backlight bleed, kickstand failing, battery charge capacity is 80% of the full design capacity or whatever you can think of that isn't just straight up "I dropped it"
>>
>>59179716
And that's just
>Scratching the surface

I'm sorry
>>
>>59179561

It watches you fap.
>>
>>59179561
I'm thinking about getting the cheap version just for the 3:2 aspect ratio. The keyboard and the pen are memes.
>>
>>59180922
Many artists have actually been preferring the lastest n-trig releases over wacom
This isn't 2004
>>
>>59180767
I get 7 hours SOT
>>
File: 1457628669217.gif (2MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1457628669217.gif
2MB, 600x338px
>>59179561
>asking if some expensive stuff is a meme on /g/

Everything over $1000 is a meme on /g/ because its 90% poorfags.
>>
>>59184896
Surface Pro starts at $700 or so.
>>
>>59179561
it's a fucking tablet
you tell me
>>
>>59179561
I got a pro 3 because I felt like learning to draw. I got it used for $350 including the pen, but I still wonder if it would have been worthwhile to get the pro 4, since it supports tilt sensitivity and the eraser.

Even so, the pro 3 has been pretty good IMO. Gets a bit warm sometimes. Haven't tried photoshop, but clip studio paint (aka manga studio) works great on it.
>>
File: 1460032223990.gif (2MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1460032223990.gif
2MB, 400x400px
>>59185003
Let's sau $500 then.

The thing is that /g/ wants to label stuff they want and cant afford a meme because they want to steer other "richfags" away from them to not make them seem even more superior.

ANYWAY, I'm waiting for the new Galaxy Book which seems to have a better battery, keyboard and batteryless pen.
>>
File: 1478616464495.png (327KB, 1440x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1478616464495.png
327KB, 1440x2160px
>>59180767
Windows 10 is really good at managing RAM, you don't need 8gb to open more than 5 Chrome tabs
>>
>>59185075
Got my surface pro 3 for $350 used.

>/g/ wants to label stuff they want and cant afford a meme because they want to steer other "richfags" away from them
This is true, but generally only applies to headphones, mechanical keyboards, apple products, and NVIDIA

Galaxy book looks pretty nice. Having to get a damn AAAA battery for my surface pen is kind of annoying.
>>
>>59182099
Not very well, shit deivers
>>
>>59185139
I got a 4 pack from Amazon for a couple bucks, it's nice that they last a year and a half
>>
>>59185075
Also OLED screen.
>>
File: absolutely disgusting prime 3.gif (3MB, 357x200px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely disgusting prime 3.gif
3MB, 357x200px
>>59185246
>OLED screen
>>
>>59182641
Why? I cant use windows its like asking a rock to be watter.
Also i never liked the touchscreen meme it makes everithing dumber and less complex, im so adicted to terminals that forcig me to use this type of OS would kill me.

>>59185152
My idea is to buy one of this things and use it with a mech keyboard, but if the drivers dont work properly and the install method is to complex then i pass
>>
>>59186272
>My idea is to buy one of this things and use it with a mech keyboard
That defeats the entire purpose of a Surface
>>
>>59186272
As >>59187469 said, a surface is a total waste of money if you don't want to use the stylus. I personally think touchscreens ruined computing too, but I still think the stylus interface has its place.
>>
>>59187494
Scrolling through shitposts using the touchscreen is comfy
>>
I wish the Pro 4 was cheaper

I could use a windows tablet, since most of them suck
>>
>>59188168
Get a Pro 3
>>
>>59180922
It's actually the opposite for me. Drawing is great on this because of the positional accuracy, the cursor will always be exactly under the pen tip and it has less input lag than Wacom Penabled. It sucks for smaller details like loops for letter Ps Rs Bs, shit like that, so writing is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>59185068
The Pro 4 does not have Tilt sensitivity. Also the Pro 4 pen works on the Surface Pro 3 as well, with eraser functionality.
>>
Had one. Recently upgraded to a book.

Installed ubuntu on it. Used kernel from this dude
https://github.com/neoreeps/surface-pro-3
>>
>>59184718
one poo has been deposited in your loo.
https://youtu.be/9NhyDiiaXic?t=311
>>
>>59179561
i just got a surface book and i like it so far
>>
>tfw costs $1.8k for a 256gb/8gb/i5 pro 4 with kickstand
the base model surface book is $200 more
>>
>>59190289
>the base model surface book is $200 more
I just bought the base surface book 3 days ago and it was $1300, it's only 128 gb of space though but sd cards aren't very expensive these days.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.