[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most complex program you've ever written?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 13

File: Python.png (34KB, 502x270px) Image search: [Google]
Python.png
34KB, 502x270px
What's the most complex program you've ever written?
>>
Depends on your definition of complex.
>>
I wrote console program for playing Sudoku in C. It even had a solver and could validate input.
>>
>>59176296
The most intellectually challenging.
>>
>>59176331
Depends on your definition of intellectually challenging.
>>
I wrote fizzbuzz once, took like an hour
>>
>>59176412
Caused the most frustration.
>>
SHUMP for the TI83 calculator in assembly.
>>
Wrote something in dragonspeak on Furcadia.
>>
>>59176461
That's not necessarily intellectually challenging, but I can share my most frustrating

I was given one month to refactor our data forwarder to support a new data source, keep all of our existing features and clean up the code. Code was super old, new data source had many features that made it near impossible to use with our existing data sources and it was a huge undertaking given size of code base and differences in data source assumptions. Met the goals at the end, but the new data source ended up not being needed. Took another week to gut out code and take only a fraction of the refactor. Code base was also very old so refactor was a bitch and a half. So I basically wasted 5 weeks, but meh. life goes on
>>
I had to write a program that helped provide inverse reactive current, for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters.
>>
>>59176622
>Memes and buzzwords
Look man, we know you don't know shit about programming, just shut up.
>>
>>59176748
How to spot mental retardation
>>
File: smug pepe.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
smug pepe.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>59176748
in english, please?
>>
rpg game in c with ascii graphics
>>
>>59176285
100,000 lines long, with comments
2d game in c# with all the bells and whistles
>>
>>59176285
Genetically evolving sorting algorithms
>>
>>59176748
i once needed to code a rocket locator based on when rocket knows where it is because it knows where it wasn't
>>
>>59177002
u fukin w0t m8?
>>
I wrote a code in python that would take basic tax info and provide a ruff number for fed and state tax
>>
>>59176843
brainlet detected
>>
File: santa_miyuki.png (87KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
santa_miyuki.png
87KB, 384x384px
>>59176285
A Quantum Monte Carlo simulation for the renormalization group flow of the superfluid order parameter of a q-state Potts model on a 2-dimensional honeycomb D6 lattice via directed DMRG as a function of q.
>>
>>59177159
I once pinged an IP address. Shit was hardcore.
>>
I wrote an approximater using Fourier analysis once.

rimshot.
>>
A tag-based imageboard.
>>
Depends on your definition of written.
>>
I did a wave analysis tool with DFT

JPEG/MPEG compression.
RGB>YCbCr>4:2:2>DCT>ZigZag-MRLE
For MPEG Extensive search in 64 px radius and encoding vectors right after frame. Pretty ez but ended up big.
>>
>>59176826
What memes? Could you please list the buzzwords? Sorry I'm employed
>>
>>59177442
Good for you sweetie.
>>
Definitely writing a webgl game with a multiplayer component. Holy fuck, graphics programming makes me want to blow my brains out.
>>
A java program that took in regular expressions, converted them to a DFA if possible, and draw the automaton in ascii.
>>
>>59177550
which is probably why a lot of programmers use pre-built graphics engines
>>
>>59177594
I just wanted to do it to say I did. Afterwards I now appreciate the intense autism that must've been required in the beginning of 3d graphics.
>>
>>59177019
copypasta
>>
>>59177672
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFBlcS2Sg0k
>>
>>59176884
He helped make a turbo encabulator
>>
>>59177505
Was it shimmie?
>>
A compiler. Complex enough for you?
>>
>>59177929
Never heard of it.

https://github.com/nkeronkow/tolxanka
>>
>>59176285
In our first year of physics undergrad we had to develop a program that would model light passing through an array of lenses and mirrors to hit a detector. Wasn't too complex but looked cool. I still don't know to this day how it automatically took chromatic abherration into account
>>
>>59176622
refactor our data forwarder to support a new data source
Not what refactoring is
>>
An indoor navigation system based on WiFi intensities, I guess. But it didn't really work well because in the worst case it takes 12 seconds to do a single measurement of wireless intensity with a normal android device
>>
bitplane parser
>>
>>59176285
You do know /g/ doesn't actually code, right?
>>
IrDA driver.
>>
>>59176285
connect it to a database and it analyzes the entire thing for data correlation (regardless of what the data actually is)

im not even a programmer by trade, im a data analyst

did you know that more people are born named isaac on wednesday than any other day of the week?
>>
>>59176285
Finite Element modeller for structural glass..... In excel.

Stay mad.
>>
You see? This is what /g/ has become, 90% of the answers are shitposting because 90% OF the fucks lurking this board LITERALLY CANNOT PROGRAM god fucking dam
>>
Webcrawler that searches for cars as soon as local ad appears. Didnt make 1 dollar oit of it
>>
>>59178780
This is
>/g/ - Technology
not
>/g/ - Programming
>>
>>59176285
Wrote a custom convolution processor for FPGA. Currently writing a fairly complex system intended to embody a culture of live neurons in a simulated robot.
>>
>>59176748
had to write a driver for my raspberry pi controlled turbo encabulator
>>
>>59177002
Chuckled
>>
>>59176285
Hello world
I have wasted my highschool time with learning programming and then at university everything went okay until the last two years of the education. After that I had a paus from 2011 till now with doing nothing, not even looking at books or anything. So I am supposed to be "good" in the eyes of companies. However I am not, so I am never getting a job within the field I "devoted" myself to.
>>
i made a simple proportion calculator in C but it was like
printf format is a/b = c/x
printf program finds x
enter a
scanf
enter b
scanf
enter c
scanf
then it calculated x
>>
<?php
phpinfo();
?>
>>
>>59176331
clustered security camera program that videos and sends data to all the other cameras in the building and they all store each other's data in case anything happens to 1 it has to happen to all of them or the footage is still safe
no single failure point
>>
>>59176285
Had to add a feature to a organization internal spaghettiprogram written with nothing but no-convention everything-inlined PHP.
>>
A custom version of FFT.

Ended up being the Slowest Fourier Transform ever.
>>
>>59176285
hello world
>>
File: 1458766384911.jpg (634KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1458766384911.jpg
634KB, 850x1200px
A parallelized version Newmark-beta method solver to accelerate iteration cycles of highly time critical non-linear structural mechanical finite element analyses
>>
>>59177536
Pretty saddo
>>
>>59176461
Something hilariously mundane.
A converter between HTML and CALS tables with some special constraints for the lines.
>>
>>59176285

A "simmulated annealing" algorithm with my own hash function.

>>59176622

I know that feel, bro..

>build a huge ass databases system
>complex data modell
>differnt XML parsers (DOM and SAX modell)
>made my own customized sorting algorithm
>mad data processing
>proud as fuck when system is finally finished
>best project so far
>"Anon, Mgmt said we won't maintain this system any longer because reasons."
>"D-did I something wrong?"
>"No, you did a great job! We just don't need it anymore.."
>2 years development for nothing
>CRAAAAWLING IIIIN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIN
>>
I was told to write a better ultra key for "greenscreening" as a favor.

Because the retarded producer interviewed a white guy on a white background, and wanted the white background gone.

I had no idea where to even start, googled adobe plugin tutorials, video editing libraries, and then just made slow progress (planning to make a key that just cuts out any non changing pixels and tries to guess if its outside the head, as the guy had black hair). As I hoped, he eventually got tired and hired an actual video guy to manually mask the interviewee for an hour and I was no longer needed.
>>
a deep neural netqwork
>>
>>59178014
>develop a program
>don't know how it works
uh huh
>>
I wrote a program that plays (simulates) Magic: The Gathering. It only plays Legacy Charbelcher, but it has first-turn "win" rate of about 35%. It learns from which moves lead to a win/loss, and favors the better options.

Would share source, but it's in embarrassingly-written Java, and I haven't finished the Lisp rewrite.
>>
>>59176884
Probably a driver for De Morgan pressurization controller, the old VX4 series used those.
>>
>>59181517
isnt legacy belcher a turn 1 or stall deck?
burn is another deck that could have a relatively high winrate without a lot of decision making, I think.

some retarded fucking anonymous invite only board written in plain php. in hindsight it was terrible but I was proud of it (still kinda am). we even had a small community going but I forgot to pay my webserver one day and now everyone is gone.
rip keyboard/jerryboard
>>
I'm currently creating a complex program in C that forks 4 child processes to read 4 different files, find prime numbers in those files, then write those numbers into 1 resulting file. Then the parent process reads that result file, removes any duplicate numbers, then sorts that array of numbers back into that file. I am using a merge sort.
>>
>>59178861
Mind sharing your code? I'm trying to set up my own turbo encabulator, but all the existing drivers are shit.
>>
>>59181556
More of a turn-1-or-lose deck. Burn was a contender, but I actually played Belcher, so I favored optimizing for it.
>>
I wrote a loan calculator which created loan schedules and a ledger

Wrote a web interface for an internal network
>>
>>59176285
My two top spots are probably taken by an ARM7TDMI emulator (was working on a full GBA emulator, but got burned out after doing just the CPU), and probably a PDF parser used for some security stuff. The ARM emulator was the much larger of the two projects, though.

I'm working on a JVM now, which will probably be a fair bit more complex than the ARM emulator, but at the moment it can only disassemble class files, not run anything.
>>
Backup and integrity checker.
I even did a multiprocessor version that was 4 seconds faster on a 4 hours job. Turns out I/O really is the bottleneck.
>>
>>59181671
Well, learning lessons like that *is* a good outcome of the project, even if the thing didn't work as intended.
>>
fizzbuzz in Lua!
>>
>>59181702
one liner fizzbuzz in shellscript
>>
>>59176285
>>59176331
The hardest to write was either my n queens problem solver, or my arbitrary precision calculator. The calculator could add, subtract, multiply and divide arbitrary precision floating point numbers in any base between 2 and 36. Looking back, both of those programs were really inefficient.
>>
Not a programmer but I once had to modify a small C source so it waited until program is run and only then patched it's memory.
It was a fucking torture.
I could not even compile it from the original source.
wchar? tchar? How about "gofuckyourselfchar"?
>>
>>59179075
Sounds efficient
>>
>>59178482
well yeah, the fact that /g/ is a bunch of windows stans should tip anyone off that /g/ is for /g/aymen
>>
A metabolic optimization and simulation tool for my academy for the purpose of mathematically modeling and optimizing the metabolic fluxes in single-cell microorganisms and altering their genetic structure to genetically engineer those microorganisms to more efficiently produce consumer fuels.

I am proud of my work and have won awards.
>>
a video card driver for loonix
>>
>>59176285
Python, an assembler.
C, pieces of a microkernel.
Java, a rhythm vidya.
Verilog, a pipelined processor.
>>
>>59176285
Miles to kmh converter.

#pride
>>
Ugh. This one time I had to optimize this legacy code for what was supposed to be a critical system that was written in fucking COBOL. About a month's worth of work with a deadline in 10 days. I wound up getting side tracked because I was convinced my meth dealer was actually a 14 year old with sharpie-tattoos selling me his crushed up ADD medication (had been up for 3 days at that point) and started trying to prove it in Coq. I'm not exactly sure what all the bullshit I wrote exactly PROVED, but I DID manage to get it to extract to Haskell and, well, it doesn't crash. I, however, did crash, and the last few days before the deadline were just a blur of furious futa masturbation and huge screaming matches with my roommate/landlord (mom, whatever). Wound up just submitting the Haskell code and nobody has brought it up, since. The light rail system that the code was for hasn't crashed yet, so I guess everything's hunky dory
>>
File: 6vScT.jpg (137KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
6vScT.jpg
137KB, 717x880px
>>59181522
>>59177914
>>59176748
>>59181601
>>59178861
>hahaha let's make up a bunch of tech words it's so random and funny xd. I fucking love science!
>>
File: ancap_twhe.jpg (143KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
ancap_twhe.jpg
143KB, 512x512px
>>59182072
Not bad.
>>
PHP and JS - huge application that deals with transmissions from private jets and manages accounting etc
ARM64 assembly - a game using serial console
C - An asynchronous multithreaded websocket server
i need practice
>>
File: mygfkarlie.jpg (5KB, 277x182px) Image search: [Google]
mygfkarlie.jpg
5KB, 277x182px
>>59176748
i had to write a program that enfluences triverlious contraprators with turbo regard to quaslinative congruencies, i was like waaat, but then i realised i just have to defradify concurrent protoholsters of factorised quinters, which led to confusion with my collegue, but i explained him it's essential to comply with connorative mechanics of degluent flows in murixive kokots, the way it enables them to foster the apparent disconrives with Compton's Third and crystalised radiations of dexterious manfolds. he wanted to write this crap in PHP but i explained to him that if we use Haskell, we can do it in like 3,000 lines of code or even less. after fixing for fragmentative monads, we were able to finally relaunch the complexive contstructor with optimised quasi-correlive algorithms.
>>
>>59182275

Dude.

OP was talking about COMPLEX algorithms.
We did this in our 2nd course in CS ...
>>
>>59176285
Some dumb smartphone app that I have to fix today. Fuck my life.
>>
>>59182456
sorry i am still in kindergarten
>>
>>59182478
It's alright
I can teach you alot of things that adults know little girl
>>
>>59176285
Windows 10
>>
>>59182610

Motherf..
>>
>>59182181
>haha I've spent so much time masturbating to anime and arguing with fat tripfags on /g/ that I don't ever laugh anymore
>>
getting python to use firefox cookies.
>>
>>59182048
How much time did all of this take (assuming you did all alone)?
>>
>>59183105
It's not humor, it's literal fucking autism. It's the same fucking punchline all over again, every single post in the vx subreddit is "haha look at this post, it's funny because these technologies don't exist".
>>
>>59183286
>autism
>animu tho
lad...
>>
>>59183210
The assembler was like 3 hours, the microkernel was like 4 months off and on, the rhythm game is ongoing, probably gonna be done in a month or so, the pipeline processor was about a week to program and a week and a half to debug with assembly.
>>
>>59183286
>stop liking what I don't like, this is muh safe space
Fukken 'tard
>>
>>59176285
hello world in python
>>
>>59183426

Whoa whoa, take it slow, buddy..

Are you some kind of hacker?
>>
>>
I wrote some computer vision programs that were technically the most complex, but the difficult work was already implemented in openCV functions, so it was pretty easy.
>>
>>59177159
Cool. Did you use tensor networks to approximate the low-energy states?
>>
>>59176285
An algorithm in Java to calulate the influence of your mother's mass on the visible spectrum of light.
Constantly got stuck as sensors in her vicinity passed the event horizon.
>>
>>59185974
XDDDDD
>>
>>59176461
Depends on your definition of must frustating
>>
game of life in Java
>>
A GBA emulator in rust.
Probably wasnt the best way to get into the language.
>>
>>59181434
You'd be surprised how often this happens.
>>
>>59177550
What school? Sounds like CSE 125 at UCSD
>>
>>59176285
I've written a skeleton version of map quest using PR Quadtries.

I've also worked with a team to setup a web applicatiin that was able to visually mine data.
>>
>>59176285
When I was in highschool I wrote my own RSA message encryption program in Java. It was just for fun to see if I could it and also so me and my friend could send encrypted messages to eachother like autists.

And I know, Java but it's the language we were using in class.
>>
>>59186342
I also wrote fizzbuzz in brainfuck. It could be argued that that was more complex.
>>
>>59176412
Clearly you are too autistic to build anything useful. There is no point in asking you or explaining to you.
>>
>>59176285
E-Mail client
Web based SQL connector
>>
File: 1484244824644.png (1MB, 960x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484244824644.png
1MB, 960x1080px
Complex ETL process that feeds a data warehouse.
>>
employer has some strange requests sometimes:
>adaptive control systems (for industrial vehicles)
did three variants of this (neural nets, q-learning, adaptive fuzzy)
>real-time operating system for a distributed network of embedded systems with varying architectures in a turbine array
everything from the low-level implementation of drivers, scheduler, etc, to the higher-level functionality

not all ni/g/gers are neets, some of us have jobs
>>
Designed my own way of writing CSS which I implement and use on my own websites.
Write HTML in a method that very few experienced HTML coders can read.

I've never been able to look up to anyone, I don't know anyone who's better at html and CSS than I am.
>>
>>59186486
>(for industrial vehicles)
what type of industrial vehicles ?
>>
>>59186624
those were for construction/mining vehicles but i've done similar stuff for lorries as well
>>
>>59179075
just send the videos to an hdd in another building...
>>
flappy bird written in C with ncurses using an event loop centered around epoll
>>
>>59178800
>This is
>/g/ - Technology
No, it's /g/ - Consumer "Technology".
>>
>>59176296
cancer
>>
>>59182260
I am impressed anon, is any of your code available for inspection, especially C stuff, wouldn't mind checking out your PHP code base, since you seem to be particularly proud of it.
>>
>>59178815
>Currently writing a fairly complex system intended to embody a culture of live neurons in a simulated robot.
Neat. I'm doing the same thing, except with real physical robots. Has to go a bit faster than for simulated stuff. And it has to adapt to the world in real time too.
>>
File: 1426077272846.png (122KB, 380x264px) Image search: [Google]
1426077272846.png
122KB, 380x264px
>>59185934
I renormalized via DMRG in the mean-field regime and then solved the self-consistent field theory for the superfluid order parameter. Then rinsed and repeated for different values of q.
The code took a year of debugging/trial and error and 2 months to run.
>>
File: 1486298163357.jpg (110KB, 1000x847px) Image search: [Google]
1486298163357.jpg
110KB, 1000x847px
>>59182260
HOLY SHIT
if this is actually true HOYL SHIT£

ANON WHATS UR SALARY ? How much money did u make from the jet application?
>>
File: rk.png (19KB, 523x219px) Image search: [Google]
rk.png
19KB, 523x219px
>>59186831
It will always be /g/entoo, never forget.

>>59176285
Sadly a windows program, it was the last rootkit I ever made, worked on it like 4 years (with a lot of IRL disruptions).
Best thing is I never used it for anything and probably never will.
>>
>>59181434
I think what he was saying is that the took some professor's model and made a computer program to run simulations of it.

And he doesn't know why the professor's model ignored/simplified chromatic aberration.
>>
File: 1485221389624.png (474KB, 3340x3176px) Image search: [Google]
1485221389624.png
474KB, 3340x3176px
>>59176420
>tfw to smart too use for loops
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.