[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPU Overclocking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (9KB, 325x155px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 325x155px
So I just got my hands on this badboy, a GTX 1070 Strix OC. I'm told it can OC way higher than the factory OC but by how much, I'm not sure so I'm supposed to just find out with MSI Afterburner.

With that said, is there anything at all I can do with these sliders that would end up harming my GPU permanently via overclocking?

Also, anybody with this card got any good experience with it?
>>
>>59171578
gpu overclocking performance is negligible. not worth your time
>>
>>59171758
But can it perma damage my GPU?
>>
>>59172148
probably if you do some dumb shit
>>
>>59171578
I don't really get the point of factory OC for Pascal, considering GPU boost 3.0 is a thing. Mine wasn't factory overclocked at all and consistently boosts to 1900+ MHz at stock settings, which is higher than any of the advertised factory OCs that I know of.
>>
>>59172266
Such as?
Would maxing out the voltage break it?
>>
>>59172343
its only going to matter in syn benchmarks. A couple fps tops in games. MSI is pretty conservitive, I doubt you could hurt anything unless you turned the training wheels off.
>>
>>59172343
You'll hit the BIOS -ocked voltage wall long before you damage your card
>>
>>59171758

That's true for gimped mid range and lower chips. For something like a 980ti, the performance increase is almost linear.
>>
>>59172455
>>
>>59171578
>is there anything at all I can do with these sliders that would end up harming my GPU permanently via overclocking?

Not for your card. Nvidia knows that a lot of customers download these applications and try maxing out the sliders so require their board partners to lock Pascal to a maximum voltage of 1.09V (ish). There are also power limits that vary depending on the model.

So you're not going to damage your card unless you flash modified firmware to it to raise these limits.

All that will happen if you set the sliders too high is you'll run into instability (i.e. game/driver/windows may crash).

Do not assume this to be the case with future cards, though. My AMD card has a pretty insane voltage limit that would probably fry the VRMs with enough time.
>>
>>59174028
What would be achieved from memory overclocking?
>>
>>59174140
An increase in memory bandwidth, which could increase performance in some games.

Probably not that big of a difference since games aren't really built for higher than current memory bandwidth standards. My GPU has high bandwidth memory with 1.6 times the bandwidth of a GTX1080, but doesn't get a lot to show for it performance-wise.

I have noticed less 'popping in' of distant objects in games, mainly the Witcher 3 wildhunt where there's almost no popping on my HBM card but significant popping on a similarly fast GDDR5 card I tried. No one else seems to have ever noticed or talked about this so take it with a grain of salt.
>>
poor fag coming through. With a question I wanted to put in a GPU thread., but didn't want to make my own.

Got a i5 2500 3.3ghz (it's a pretty old rig)

Looking to get a rx 480 8gb. Is there even a point with my current CPU? or will I be running into a massive bottleneck?
>>
>>59175980
The i5 2500 will still run most games fine. If you are planning on cpu intensive multiplayers or other tasks, you could get an i7 for socket 1155. They can be found used pretty cheap usually, and will last you for years to come.

If you have some cash you could get a AMD ryzen setup, right now only the 8 cores are launching, but in a month or two the cheaper ones will come along also.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.