[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dual Booting Issue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: index.png (5KB, 301x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
5KB, 301x168px
>dual booting ubuntu over win10
>everything was going well, got it installed, secure boot removed, just had to mess with boot order
>grub didn't want to play ball
>askubuntu told me to run Boot Repair

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair; \
sudo apt-get update; \
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

>Boot Repair fails, outputs this pastebin

http://paste2.org/npFAmnc9

Can anyone experience with dual booting Linux deceipher what the error code in the Pastebin is? This is my first real outing with Linux and I don't have very much experience with non-Windows systems.
>>
File: 1487573278973.jpg (74KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1487573278973.jpg
74KB, 720x960px
>>
>>59169479
It's not fucked. Windows is just fine, and I can boot into a live session of Ubuntu thru USB.
>>
>>59169447
Did you partition the boot drive correctly?

I'm a novice but at first glance it looks like you tried to put the two boots in the same place
>>
>linux

Found your problem.
>>
>>59169530
My hard disk was partitioned, are you talking about UEFI/BIOS? All the guides I read just said I had to alter the boot order, but the program that does that won't launch, and the Boot Repair tool is giving me an error I can't understand.
>>
File: 1465837240813.png (573KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
1465837240813.png
573KB, 800x792px
>>59169447
install gentoo
>>
>>59169604
When you make a dual boot you need to initialize a new basic disk as either MBR (master boot record) or GPT

read through all the stuff on the side bar
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771486(v=ws.11).aspx
>>
>>59169706
shit that was the wrong link, that all applies to regular windows though, the disk manager is the same regardless
>>
>>59169706
So, if I just created the partition and went straight to installing Ubuntu, that partition has neither GPT or MBR, am I reading that correctly?
>>
>>59169447
>but linux just works :^)
>>
>>59169447
Install easybcd on windows. Fixes 99% of booting problems plus you can configure the priority, time of boot, grub or bootloader etc.
>>
File: diesel.jpg (123KB, 525x722px) Image search: [Google]
diesel.jpg
123KB, 525x722px
i had so many issues with so many distros when trying to dual boot. fedora worked the best, but sometimes the bootloader would get trashed due to the bleeding edge updates every other day.
>>
>>59170228
>paying for software
>>
>>59170028
Got/mbr refers to how a disk allocates its partitions, it's not WITHIN a partition.

If your system goes straight to Windows on boot, that means grub isn't set up properly and the previously existing windows boot method is still in place
>>
>>59170523
Okay. That's my issue. I can still boot into Linux over USB but simply hitting the power key takes me straight to Windows.
>>
What are the downsides of booting in legacy mode instead of UEFI? Will that dramatically affect Windows or the bootloader? It sounds like it's just easier to turn off UEFI instead of trying to make Linux contort itself to work with Microsoft's bullshit.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.