[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resolution creep

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1465626832572.png (231KB, 448x442px) Image search: [Google]
1465626832572.png
231KB, 448x442px
Electronic companies are forcing 4k into the consumer, how long before they try to force 8k?
And what come after 8k? Will the resolution creep stop after certain point?
>>
>>59165524
8k is like, $10000 and will be that way for only 3 years.
>>
>>59165524
What the fuck is resolution creep?
>>
>>59165964
screens/monitors getting larger and larger resoltions for no good reason
>>
4k is the sweet spot though
>>
>>59165524
I'm ok with this.
>>
Daily reminder that notebook manufacturers are deliberately downgrading new tech to 1366x768.
>>
It will probably stop when there isn't much gain to be had. I don't think they will go much further than 4k for regular monitors unless it becomes significantly easier and cheaper to make higher resolution monitors.

I hear the 5k Imac has a fantastic screen, and also that the Microsoft Surface table thing also has a gorgeous screen. I haven't seen either one irl, but I don't see a point in going much further.
At some point the hardware needs to catch up and be strong enough to run all of those 4k monitors without problems for more intensive tasks than just web browsing and the like. Current top-end cards can barely do 4k properly and the TV industry is just retarded so they keep cramming more pixels into their TVs because that's the only thing they think consumers want.
>>
>>59165993
>no good reason
Please kill yourself.
>>
8k would be about right for vr. That's about as far as I can see being useful unless people start wallpapering screens onto every surface in their house.
>>
>>59167561
That is nice because I think we should stop at 4k because its similar to the grain count that analog 35mm film had, so an analog movie converted to lets 8k will lookway too grainy.
>>
4k looks like shit on a screen (not jumbotron TV) and vr is already deadder than 3d
>>
>>59169837
>4k looks like shit on a screen
Really?
>>
File: killthema.png (161KB, 535x422px) Image search: [Google]
killthema.png
161KB, 535x422px
>>59165993
>screens/monitors getting larger and larger resoltions for no good reason
If I still can recognize pixels of a font, it's a good reason.
>>
>>59172358
I'm on 276 ppi and can't recognise pixels
>>
It all depends on distance and size of the screen if you ask me. I have an old HD plasma TV and it looks great at the distance I watch it from. Meanwhile the HTC Vive makes me feel like I'm rubbing my face against an old SD TV while playing PS1 games.
>>
>>59165524
>Electronic companies are forcing 4k into the consumer
Fuck you
>>
I play rainbow six, and even having 2k or 4k is a SERIOUS advantage over 1080, because you will see 20 or 40 pixels rather than 5 or 10 when someone is exposed and vulnerable a tiny bit.
>>
DON'T CARE, WANT 16K VR
>>
maybe because higher resolutions are the future??????/
>>
>>59166287
it's seriously amazing that the beancounters are so concerned over that whole $5 manufacturing cost difference between 1366x768 and 1920x1080 on $800 machines
>>
>>59172418
Looks like you need glasses.
>>
>>59172734
Its more like 1366x768 has been around a long time and the cost to retool factories is fuckhueg. They'll keep pushing the trash as long as they possibly can to avoid having to build a new factory. Nobody has to support phones/tablets for nearly as long as whatever OEM support contract will last.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.