[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blu ray drives on PC, is it worth?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: whatever-happened-to-blu-ray.png (69KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
whatever-happened-to-blu-ray.png
69KB, 512x512px
I remember years ago to see people complaining that you can't play blu ray on a PC.

Is this still true?
>>
There are blu-ray drives but they're tangled in so much DRM garbage that you're better off just buying the blu-ray and then pirating the content itself.
>>
>>59161383
Who gives a damn whether they play movies? They're for making backups of shit on your hard drives.
>>
So, even VLC can't play Blu ray disks?
>>
>>59161383

I'm lucky enough to live in a state that allows public libraries to loan out CDs, DVDs & blu rays of all sorts. Any media.

I use my blu ray burner to rip movies, anime, TV series, documentaries, etc. and archive them to large HDDs. I invested in several 4 TB HDDs over the last two years, and they're largely full, but all the content I want the most (meaning, that which I share, trade and will re-watch) is in full duplicate back up. Mostly on other HDDs, but some burned to blu rays & DVDs.

So, the answer is that I don't watch blu rays directly from my drive (almost never). I strip out all the DRM and make MKV or MP4 files, then watch those whenever & return the optical media to my local libraries.

I have access to three university libraries, which have tens of thousands of CDs (if not hundreds of thousands), plus pretty much every DVD ever pressed and most blu rays. Usually I rip music into FLACs, but I also have some hi-res music off DVD where I just rip the ISOs and mount those when I want to play them.

Even have a decent turntable, so I occasionally rip vinyl when there's something that interests me enough to try and get ultimate audiophile copies.

Anyway. If you buy media playing software, you can update your software and your blu ray player to play movies directly, if you wish. It's very rare that something doesn't play so long as you are a registered owner and you heat your credit card up regularly. Works best under Windows since that's mostly what the DRM ecosystem supports.

If you want to pirate your media player, see the first part of this post. Learn to strip DRM and rip what you want and fuck trying to play directly off optical media. It's literally a cuck's life otherwise. Often it will work, but you never know when it won't.
>>
>>59161582
I always like meeting the people who will be running the super-underground deep web filesharing sites in twenty years after governments and business have conspired to completely censor the clearnet web

you're doing god's work anon
>>
File: DSC_0002.jpg (292KB, 1280x994px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002.jpg
292KB, 1280x994px
Coincidentally, I just bought one since they're no longer $150-200, and you CAN play them on your player of choice (MPC, etc.), you just need to install DVDFab Passkey first, which is free if all you wanna do is watch movies. It's the most convoluted fucking system in comparison to ancient DVD playback of yore, and I have no idea why they thought people would tolerate an overly-DRM'd playback method on the PC, but it's pretty painless after you do this

The fact you can't even fucking take SCREENSHOTS on legit software like PowerDVD without Passkey stripping the DRM first is the most retarded thing
>>
Can floppy disks be still used in PC?
>>
>>59162193
They make USB 3.5" ones, those'll work whenever USB does.

They started dropping real floppy connectors on motherboards some time back. My old X58 board had one, I think my friend's Sandy Bridge didn't. Some time around the early C2D era BIOSes dropped support for multiple floppy drives and 5.25" drives.

There were plenty of ISA floppy controllers, but to my knowledge nobody ever made a PCI one.
>>
I got 10+ BDs myself and my local rental shops deal BD, so I regularly rip those on my PC. I had to install DVDFab Passkey due to DRM, though.
>>
>>59161383
lol no
>>
>>59161383
Pointless. DVDs are more suitable for regular data backups.
As for ripping movies: it's easier to just download them. You can even download exact bluray copies/isos, but I wouldn't bother with that, because 1080 bluray is nothing to get excited about and better quality releases are always coming out (4k and shit).
>>
>>59161609
I wanna see a movie about super-nerds with data hoarding addictions fueling the rebelion now.
>>
Blu Ray is a forced medium.
DVD has outsold it since it's inception and still outsells it.
It will never become the main face of hi Def media because digital distribution has already passed it, and that's the future.
>>
>>59161383
Someone is begging for attention this morning. How computer illiterate are you?
>>
I'm planning to put one in my media server build just for ripping shit.

Other than that... eh.
>>
>>59162894
I don't want to back, just watch movies.
>>
>>59161582
How does one rip vinyl?
Isn't it made of wax?
>>
>>59164587
>How does one rip vinyl?
>Isn't it made of wax?

>>vinyl
>>isn't is made of wax

Yes vinyl is made out of wax
>>
Best software for ripping content?
>>
>>59161383
I just rent movies on Amazon Prime Video and instantly stream them to any of my devices, including my tablet and phone. Much cheaper than buying the Blu-ray, works on devices where discs can't be used and the quality is great. Also, I don't have to leave the house or wait for UPS to arrive.

Feels good, man.
>>
>>59166073
But disc quality is always better than streaming.
>>
>>59166073
What gay ass pixar movie is that screenshot from?
>>
>>59165325
AnyDVD for movies (DVDs/BDs), EAC for Audio CDs
>>
>>59166261
Not Pixar, Square Enix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htnkOpknGok
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.