[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 53

Last thread: >>59129017

Emu edition
>>
File: duck2.png (56KB, 233x188px) Image search: [Google]
duck2.png
56KB, 233x188px
>>59141464
>clearly a duck
Well we cant all be avian experts
>>
>>59141489
Haha I didn't even notice the duck in the back.
>>
can i ask stupid questions in this thread
>>
someone got into my ebay and ordered some cheetos to my house
would it be a bad idea to open the package and eat them? i got a refund
>>
>>59141529
yes but if you want it answered you have to post a picture of an emu
>>
That's a cute emu
>>
>>59141543
if the seller doesn't want them back then it doesn't matter what you do with them
>>
were do i get stock windows isos?
>>
>>59141557
official microsoft website works
anyone can download 8 and 10 but to download the 7 iso you need a product key IIRC
>>
>>59141554
excellent
>>
There was an anon who asked for an affordable dedicated media player or if he should recycle his old android.

>recycle android
chances are, you have a recent phone I take it? If you're going to spend money on anything for listening to music then buy jetAudio Plus, If you have good headphones then this app has an add-on that remasters all of the music on your phone or SD card but you gotta buy it and it fucking works.
>>
What is USB-C and why do I want it?
>>
>>59141616
I think he was asking for a media player app to USE on his recycled android anon
>>
why do a lot of engineering focused colleges use chalkboards?

i was recently at georgia tech and noticed most of their lecture halls had chalkboards, and i know MIT uses them based on their opencourseware videos
>>
>>59141623
24 pins, can put it in either direction, it's far faster, etc. this will become the norm. don't resist positive change. do you still have a token ring ethernet? didn't think so.
>>
Is there a game in which I can be a pirate/space pirate who keeps and uses ships after capturing them instead of just increasing some integers and baleeting the ships?
>>
>>59141557
>7
http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

>8/10
Microsoft.com
>>
File: 1438060483173.jpg (220KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1438060483173.jpg
220KB, 720x960px
>>59141731
thanks. thats the site i was looking for.
>>
i got a moto z which has a usb c connector

all my current cords are micro USB

should i just buy an adapter from micro USB to USB c or get an actual usb c to usb A cable?
>>
File: duck_strut.gif (24KB, 60x95px) Image search: [Google]
duck_strut.gif
24KB, 60x95px
As a CS student, how important is it to actively work on large-scale projects that aren't related to coursework? Is there any hope for me if I just kinda... don't do that?
>>
>>59141783
It'll work but you wont get usb 3.1 speeds if that matters to you.
>>
>>59141796
If you don't enjoy doing it, why are you going to school to learn to do it full time? Do you intend to give up comfy dev career to be a miserable IT Hufflepuff who can never fully clock out?
>>
File: g_challenge.png (305KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
g_challenge.png
305KB, 1920x1080px
>>59141813
I enjoy coding quite a bit, but I have no idea where to start when it comes to developing large programs on my own. I do shit from project euler, rosetta code, and pic related, but that's all small stuff.
>>
How do you tell if a HDD has failed in a raid 5 setup?

Does it tell you?

Do you have to check on occasion?
>>
>>59141851
>How do you tell if a HDD has failed in a raid 5 setup?

It will be marked as failed, and your array will be degraded.

>Does it tell you?

Yes, if you configured it to do so. How to do so varies depending on whether you're using software raid, fake raid, or hw raid.

>Do you have to check on occasion?

If you didn't configure it to do so.
>>
a few questions
1. My mid-ATX case has two top 120mm fans that are loud as fuck. I'd like to swap them out for 140mm fans and also swap out my Hyper 212 Evo for a 280mm AIO for aesthetics. Worth it?

2. Should I get a 32" 4K 120hz TV to use as a display for $300, 12.3ms response time. OR a 1440p 75hz monitor with a 1ms response time? I'm not an esports gamer, but I do have a gtx1080.

3. What is some good bitcoin mining software? My landlord includes electric in the rent, so it would just be more for a hobby.
>>
>>59141796
>>59141830
Want do you want to work with?
If you want to be a software developer then yeah, working on side-projects that serve real life purpose is a huge plus. If you finish college without ever working on any projects of your own, or contributing to existing open source projects, your employers will see you as nothing more than a bookworm fresh out of college. Not very useful for a company.

And since you ask, consider whether you really like computer science. If you're not working on any projects, it's as if you don't really enjoy the field and you just picked it because "you're good with computers" (i.e. you did nothing but stay in front of a computer all your life). You may want to switch majors... you don't really want to realize that the job bores you to death after finishing college. Software development is not at all like solving mini math/programming challenges from Project Euler.
>>
What's the best program to write a simple GUI program/desktop widget for Windows 7?
>>
>>59141957
I have no idea what else I would do at this point. I'm a junior, it's too late to switch. But I do genuinely enjoy CS.
>>
File: drives.jpg (17KB, 512x127px) Image search: [Google]
drives.jpg
17KB, 512x127px
How do you name your drives? pic related
>>
File: idont.png (9KB, 797x153px) Image search: [Google]
idont.png
9KB, 797x153px
>>59142061
im not a faggot so i dont
>>
>>59142075
>I'm not a faggot
>linux mint
>>
>>59142108
i main apricity (arch) but sometimes you need a ubuntu distro because shit dont always like arch
>>
Is it possible that my internet upload speed goes to zero while the upload stays normal? I feel that happens sometimes when I'm playing Dota. I can see people moving and hear their mics, but my clicks do not respond.
>>
File: Screenshot_12.png (94KB, 1115x769px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_12.png
94KB, 1115x769px
I'm new to arch linux can someone help me with installing discord? I don't know what I'm doing wrong here I followed it for the most part.
>>
>>59142299
>upload speed goes to zero while the upload stays normal
>>
>>59142340
when it asks to edit the pkgbuild say yes and then press enter when it asks what to edit with. you shouldnt have to do anything else
>>
File: Screenshot_13.png (114KB, 1111x773px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_13.png
114KB, 1111x773px
>>59142425
I must be doing something wrong.
>>
>>59142061
>sda
>sdb
>sdc
>sdd
>sd....
>>
>>59142299
>>59142341
Sorry, I meant the UPLOAD goes zero and DOWNLOAD stays normal
>>
>>59142061
Demon names because edge
>>
if I have high bitrate x264 files, is it worth trying to re-encode to HEVC to try and cut file size to about half, or will the image quality loss be too extreme?

recent x265 rips make me optimistic, but of course those are encoded from source.
>>
>>59142061
I just use the drive letters, but I switch them around. So my C drive is named "G", etc.
>>
in conky I use
execi 1 cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/device/fan1_input

to display my CPU fan speed but when I reboot it sometimes changes the hwmon# input and I must edit that line to find it again.
I tried to do something like
find -name "fan1_input" -exec cat {} \;
but that doesn't work
>>
>>59142614
x265 is insane. I say try it with a file and review the quality. The file size reduction is worth it 100%
>>
What's it called when you shorten a long command that you frequently use into a custom command and how do you do it? For example I want to be able to call "longcommand [-option] [input]" to just "customcommand [input]"
>>
>>59142763
alias
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/aliases.html
>>
File: 1468376461580.jpg (522KB, 1000x833px) Image search: [Google]
1468376461580.jpg
522KB, 1000x833px
Hello, is this the thread for stupid questions ?
>>
>>59142772
>>
>>59141650
Can be easier to photograph/video nicely due to lack of "hotspots" from reflections of lights. Some people just prefer the look. Whiteboards do have their advantages though, erase more cleanly, less dust.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RJ8EKI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

How do I find a PSU that won't start making an obnoxious squeaking noise with its fan in 3 years?
>>
>>59141638
jetAudio is a media player for android. not sure how that wasn't implied in my post.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-27-00-18-10.png (677KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-27-00-18-10.png
677KB, 1440x2560px
You can't just buy the cheapest of these fuckers and overclock it to be the same speed as the $750 one, right?
>>
>>59142951
Don't buy shitty ones from brands like sfx
Corsair, Evga, some industrial brand
>>
File: CfZ12o6UIAE-47F.jpg (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CfZ12o6UIAE-47F.jpg
26KB, 600x600px
>>59143041
Did some reading after posting this. Will attempt replacing the fan with a 120mm case stock fan and see if that works. Either way, I'll take your advice tomorrow or later.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (11KB, 201x225px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
11KB, 201x225px
>>59143067
Nice
>>
Got a co-worker who flaunts his v-moda earbuds and headphones. are they actually good or is this another "I like beats because they're cool!" thing?
>>
File: Screenshot_14.png (3KB, 516x33px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_14.png
3KB, 516x33px
Any idea how to fix this error with yaourt?
>>
is madVR snake oil?
>>
>>59141464
Losing a war...
>>
>>59143221
dumb question: do you actually have vim installed?
>>
>>59143243
nope, it's for videophiles however, but it doesn't hurt to use it even if you aren't autistic about your videos
>>
can you install Windows 10 without a product key on a new computer?
>>
>>59143573
i think so
>>
Are IDE's good for learning a new language or should I just compile my code and execute it and wish it "works"?
>>
never used linux before, but decided it's time. is fedora a good noob friendly option?
>>
>>59143659
try mint

>>59143603
jetbrains ide's are the best, but i recommend just a text editor and the cli
>>
Are all wireless keyboards inherently unsafe?
I have a wireless Logitech keyboard that I rather like because it's small. I typically use it on my PS3 to send messages but I was wondering if it's a bad idea to use it on my PC as well.
>>
Is there a way to hide the existence of an app on my phone? Like, just straight up you would have no way of finding it if you didn't already know it was there? I'm crowdfunding a buttplug with an app.
>>
is it worth it to upgrade RAM on my laptop if i primarily use it for schoolwork, chinese cartoons and shitposting?

max capacity is 12gb, it has 4gb integrated with a 2gb stick installed. i have a spare 4gb stick that would fit, but i could drop the $50 on an 8gb stick for MAXIMUM POWER
>>
>>59143873
Depends on how much disposable income you have but desu, for the intended purpose it sounds to me like you'd be better off spending those 50 bucks on something else.
>>
>>59143846
>>59143854
>>59143873
"No."
>>
I got a brain strainer for you all.

What is "Python"?
>>
>>59143659
Noob friendly = Ubuntu
DE isn't critical
>>
>Have Gentoo Live on a usb key
>Everything is fine except for one thing
>It can't save any new user or modification to the default user account
>even when I update the root password
what can I do?
>>
>>59142681
doesn't that get confusing?
>>
>>59143952
I am >>59143846
Could you please elaborate at least a little bit?
>>
Are there any actual decent phone cases out for the chink phone OPPO R9, /g/? All I can seem to find are dirt cheap ones on Ebay or Amazon which I don't trust at all.
>>
File: 11385625.jpg (8KB, 286x271px) Image search: [Google]
11385625.jpg
8KB, 286x271px
Will any device have trouble reading m3u playlists if the files have different capitalisation?

Foobar doesn't have any problems with it.
>>
I'm getting TDR errors frequently when using my 1070 laptop. Something like a second into Unigine valley. However, it seems to be more and more stable when I run it repeatedly.

I'm guessing it's either Windows 10 being a shit or the GPU is dying.

If it's the latter, how do you ship it to the reseller?
>>
Are there any downsides to using DVI over HDMI for a monitor?
>>
>>59144958
DVI is better than HDMI
>>
i'm trying to start learning c and the first chapter of k&r seems a little hard to follow
but apparently i'm supposed to go constantly go back to the first chapter as i read/program stuff?
how do i go about this? do i need to understand everything in the first chapter before i move on or what?
>>
>>59144697
OS dependent.

Windows doesn't care about caps, so it works in shitbar. unix-like systems have case-sensitive filename so under them you will have problems if the case doesn't match.
>>
>>59145191
How about android phones?
>>
>>59145207
Good question. They are Linux systems using ext4 these days, so unless dalvik/android runtime provides case-insensitive fs access they too won't be able to open files if case doesn't match.

Any droid developer can confirm?
>>
>>59145231
I'm doing a test now to see how it handles it.
>>
Is Myspace page editing text basically like html?

i remember typing a href a lot
>>
>>59145248
>>59145231
>>59144697

Capitalisation doesn't matter

If the .m3u playlist points to
C:\SONG.mp3
and you have
C:\song.mp3
It will still work

Android CM12.1 - Black player
>>
For video editing/production is photoshop, audacity and premiere a good enough base? I imagine illustrator and/or after effects would be necessary but vegas, final cut, camstasia are all just different brands for the same shit right?

wikipedia says fireworks is discontinued unless people still use it?
>>
>>59143846
Yes, there's so much malware and other exploits for wireless keyboards floating around.
>>
I've given my email out to a fuckload of websites, mostly when I was young and stupid and Gmail had just come out. How do i get off the list? I get all manner of spam from prince Rakesh asking me about his inheritance to scammers saying I have packages to collect. It mostly stays in my spam folder but triggers my autism. Is there a way to unsubscribe from this shit or is it too late?
>>
>>59145549
You don't. Make a new email.
>>
>>59145549
Add the emails to your block list.
>>
File: 1488161156781.png (37KB, 667x688px) Image search: [Google]
1488161156781.png
37KB, 667x688px
>>59141464
picture related, how do I change temporarily to bash without each time removing those lines from .bashrc? just typing bash takes me back to zsh
>>
So I want my network switch to tunnel through a vpn so I need a two router setup one using a vpn but the non vpn one needs to be the WAP so wireless devices don't use the vpn only wired devices do, can this be achieved with openVPN, superhub modem-router-WAP, virgin media as the ISP and a linksys WRT3200ACM-UK as the VPN router?
>>
>>59145717
also vpn routers running dd-wrt
>>
How do I make my linux partition bootable again after making the windows the boot partition? I tried GParted but it didn't work.
>>
Where can I download a Windows XP ISO?
>>
A good music player for a linux distro?..., I don't want to use a music daemon like mpd, or clementine, vlc or RhythmBox ,..any advices?..I have Debian stable
>>
>>59145865
To boot linux again you have to reinstall grub, not set up the bootable flag, this is not DOS.

You can start your linux system with supergrub2 disk

Either write it to a flashdrive and boot from it or install easyBCD and add it as an ISO entry. After linux started up, reinstall grub using

grub-install /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

the usual notes:
-replace sda if that is not your boot hd
-if you use debian/ubuntu/derivatives you can replace the whole second command with update-grub2
-in some distros the mentioned programs might be called grub2-install and grub2-mkconfig
>>
>>59145872
>>
>>59145897
audacious if you liked winamp classic

>>59145872
go to le pirate bay, search for MSDN ISOs, check comments to see if it's safe.
>>
>>59145950
Thank you sir
>>
>>59145971
Thanks,..how about Quod Libet,..Is it good?
>>
How can I use a script to download the pictures here http://www2.sat24.com/history.aspx?culture=en ?

If I right click on the image and I select "view image" I'm taken to a bigger version of it (which ideally is what I want), but if I change the url to, say, the next image by changing the date and hour I get just a blank screen, so using wget is out of the question since it won't work. How can I find a workaround? Will I need to use some javascript or something like that?
>>
Hey guys I need your help
I bought a new mobo an aorus g5 and a new PSU(corsair AX860)

After I tried to build my PC It just lights up for half a second then it shuts down and re-starts again , Sometimes it last for almost 5 seconds then it struggles and finally dies again.

There's a solid red light visible while the power is on.

I literally removed everything and the only thing that's plugged in to the PSU is the mobo that's not even inside the case so loose screws or foreign metal objects are not even in the equation.
>>
I installed kolourpaint in kubuntu, but it won't appear when I search in the application launcher, I can launch it normally in the terminal though. What's going on?
>>
My rams heat spreaders are getting in the way. can I remove them or will my ram explode?
>>
Stupid question:
Is it possible to 'filter' (wrong word) every output of my bash shell into /usr/games/lolcat ?
lolcat makes the whole text rainbowcolored and outputs it.
Lets say I want my whole shell and all commands that I input and all the output to be lolcatified, how would I do this (with like .bashrc) ?
>>
What free video editing software do you use? I can't stand WMM anymore, no matter how high I set the bitrate it looks like absolute shit.
>>
>>59146285
>What free video editing software do you use?
they're al shit
>>
>>59146248
You can remove them , RAM heat spreaders are just there for aesthetics(mostly).
>>
>>59146295
Do you have a recommendation for a proprietary one then?
>>
>>59146310
Adobe premiere
>>
How much of a performance increase would I see going from a i5-3470 to a i7-6700k?
>>
I set up a RAID 1 array, with 2 500 gb hdd, and windows is asking me to initialize it. I don't have any data on the disks, but I don't want them to get pushed out of RAID. Should I initialize, or is there some other issue here?
>>
File: tracert_hop_denied.png (96KB, 669x380px) Image search: [Google]
tracert_hop_denied.png
96KB, 669x380px
How does one avoid showing their address/info in the tracert process like pic related?

Since traffic is being routed through your IP address, shouldn't it be visible in a tracert no matter what? Or is there a certain standard these tracert requests use that make them easily filterable?
>>
>>59146353
"initialize" is what windows calls a volume with no (recognized) partition table
your raid won't have a partition table if it was just created, so you will need to "initialize" it
>>
Is it normal for a windows system drive to keep jumping up and down in available space, when you only have 1-15 gb left? Yesterday I had 3, now it's randomly back to 12.
>>
So there is this programm called "lastactivityviewer", with it you can view almost everything you did, like opened/deleted files and various stuff. Is there some way to disable the logging of those infos so they dont show on the programm?
>>
>>59146459
>>59146296
thankee sai
>>
>>59146364
tracert works by sending packets with short TTLs.
I always thought those just don't return the ICMP response when TTL reaches 0 and silently discard the packet.
>>
>>59146507
Is there a way to find out what that timed-out request would've been? Is there a way to send an ICMP request that will wait longer until a response is gotten?

What would it mean if the address never gave a response?
>>
>>59146615
The timed out request is just whatever packet tracert uses with a TTL of 13, in your screenshot.
I don't remember if there's an option to tell it to wait longer for a response. Probably.
If there's no response, I guess that that router is either dropping the packets that run out of TTL silently, or dropping packets that look like they are from tracert altogether.
>>
File: ss+(2017-02-27+at+04.08.40).png (50KB, 806x629px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-02-27+at+04.08.40).png
50KB, 806x629px
>>59141464
well played realtek
What do? its plugged in
i tried:
uninstall reinstall
the speakers work, i tried them with my phone
they used to work
i suspect the whole audio chip died in the mobo
>>
File: 1454235453951-w.png (336KB, 819x791px) Image search: [Google]
1454235453951-w.png
336KB, 819x791px
What are the better named consumer whore router brands nowadays?
I am ware that netgear and tp-link have had major security holes in their routers so are even anyone thing worth while for $100 bucks with Gbit ports?

My very very last retort would be following suit to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ledv33t6SNE but i don't any spare computers around currently.
>>
>>59143025
The factory OC one may be binned, if so it'd likely still be faster by a bit when comparing both manually overclocked.
>>
>>59143846
In theory, yes, in practise, no. If someone really wanted to keylog you it'd usually be easier to do it by software exploit or by sneaking in and attaching something physical.
>>
>>59145349
It is HTML.

>>59144002
Is a snek.

>>59146744
Boot linux live cd to make sure it's not a windows/driver fuckup.

>>59146351
Assuming no overclock on 6700k, ~40-100% improvement depending on how well threaded your tasks are. If overclocked, add another 20%.
>>
whats the most secure and private smartphone out of the box that I can buy right now?
>>
File: iphone se.jpg (108KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
iphone se.jpg
108KB, 1200x675px
Will there be an iPhone SE 2nd gen?
>>
>>59147133
That is a pretty large improvement. Don't know if I would see it in regular usage though.
>>
How do I get the basic meme collection that everyone on 4chan has? Is there a download?
>>
>>59141464
How do transform 3d coordinates into the 2d equivalent ? aka how to draw 3d objects on a 2d screen knowing that I can only put pixels one by one on a 2d plane.
>>
File: 1474251022570.png (345KB, 498x568px) Image search: [Google]
1474251022570.png
345KB, 498x568px
I try and make a new thread on any board and it doesn't post but the submit box changes to the "2..1.." (Firefox)

I try and make a new thread and it always says I forget the captcha (Clover)

I try and make a new thread and it works (Chrome)

what the actual is happening? I can make posts in each but only new threads in chrome
>>
File: cap2.png (24KB, 387x488px) Image search: [Google]
cap2.png
24KB, 387x488px
Trying to pipe raw output sent into a localhost socket into a text file.
>picrelated is address + type of data i'm talking about.

How can I do this in windows?

Already tried
powershell -command "invoke-restmethod http://127.0.0.1:31001" > test.txt

and
powershell -command "(invoke-webrequest
http://127.0.0.1:31001).Content" > test.txt
>>
>>59148198
>This being the error:
invoke-webrequest : The server committed a protocol violation.
Section=ResponseStatusLine
At line:1 char:1
+ invoke-webrequest http://127.0.0.1:31001
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (System.Net.HttpWebRequest:Htt
pWebRequest) [Invoke-WebRequest], WebException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebCmdletWebResponseException,Microsoft.PowerShe
ll.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand
>>
Recently got an itx mobo for a mobile processor. Specifically an i7 740qm. Dunno what to do with it right now. What would you guys use it for?
>pfsense
>home server
>spare pc
>>
Wondering if this is an issue or a feature ?
Turn off display is set to 30mins, but after the 30mins it doesn't actually turn off, just displays a black screen, which is still backlit and not "off", any ideas how to make it not light up after not using the computer ? Seems like a waste
>>
How do I get around "you do not have permission to print this page"?
>>
I want to access my computer music from my Android phone, using foobar2000 on both devices. I've already set up the UPnP server on the PC, and I can access it through the mobile f2k app when both devices are on the same network.
However I'd like to access through my phone from a different network. I've already forwarded the port on my router, and according to the PC f2k config, I should be able to access it through
http://<login>:<password>@<ip>:<port>/content/psc.<streaming format>
. But it won't work. Is there something else I need to set up?
>>
What operating system do those birthday cards that play a song when you open them run?
>>
>>59148539
pdf?
Try opening it in libreoffice, save it as .odf and try printing that.
>>
>>59148646
None?

It's probably just a cheap ass micro controller that converts the digital music data that's stored in it's memory to a pulse width modulated waveform which is then reconstructed into an analog waveform by a filter (basically a class d amp) which is probably amplified by the cheapest ever OP amp which drives the speaker to make the squeaky noises.

Or maybe it's driving a digtial analog converter, but my guess would be, that's way too expensive for that type of shovel ware product.
>>
>>59148687
It's in chrome, i just want to google some of the terms that are on it, but when i try and highlight so i can right click and search google, it pops up that message
>>
>>59148646
it's just a preprogrammed IC, nothing fancy
>>
>>59148711
Yeah I guess that's even more likely than my micro controller guess. A real micro would be way to expensive.
>>
>>59148709
>website owners still do that pathetic shit to prevent people """"""""""stealing"""""""""" their worthless content
fucking kek

Open the page source view (Ctrl+U) and just copy the test from the page source.

If this annoying shit is on a separate js file, you can block it with your adblocker.
>>
>>59148738
Microcontrollers are very cheap. Cheap enough that you can make a musical card yourself, cheaper than Hallmark's, buying at individual/retail volume.
>>
So I need to be extra stupid with this one

I have two keyboards: some mechanical cherry one which is pretty ok, and this apple wired keyboard with the numeric keypad. I'm also shit at touchtyping. I can type at a reasonable pace as long as you don't tell me which fingers to use (I don't use only two, but I generally don't do the normal thing).

So I tried to learn touchtyping the proper way and it gets silly.

With the apple keyboard, I'm not as fast with the correct way, but I'm faster if I forget about it. Basically the way I generally type works better for me on this thing somehow. The layout is weird being macOS friendly and all of course, but I got used to that.

With the cherry keyboard I'm generally slower, but when I get to sites like keybr.com I can type faster. However using them pinkies is a pain in the ass for me, specially on the mechanical keyboard (because the apple keyboard keys are made so you can pretty much blow on them and write essays) so you can imagine how stupid slow I am with shift keys.

So I must ask, how the fuck do I train my faggot pinkies to get better? I'm comfortable with the apple keyboard, but I've been shown many times in life that comfy is for faggots
>>
Is there a container in C++ that can contain pairs of different data types? For example, is there a container that can contain both pair<int, double> and pair<int, char>?
>>
How do I iterate through a dictionary, popping target entries? I'd prefer not to make a copy of the dict since it's probably going to get big.
>Python
>>
>>59148974
Sign a cert using acme-tiny & chain it with the intermediary like

cat signed.crt intermediate.pem > chained.pem

Then restart the mumble-server to reload the cert
>>
>>59141464
I made a tar backup of my root folder in debian stretch. I want to get rid of my windows install. Can I do a vanilla install of stretch and then just un tar it to get back to where I was?
>>
File: 2017-02-27_180158.png (69KB, 384x186px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-27_180158.png
69KB, 384x186px
>>59149012
Sorry had to delete my post due to lenght. Here it is again split in two:

[1/2]

Has anyone in here ever successfully set up umurmur (Mumble server) with Letsencrypt certificates on Raspbian?

I cloned the umurmur repository using git an compiled from source, specified my letsencrypt certificates in the config file, but when I run umurmurd and try to connect to it with the Windows Mumble client I get a certificate error or something. (Pic related).

I can't find any information on what might be wrong and the documentation of umurmur is a joke.

Any hints?
>>
>>59149073
[2/2]
Oh and here is my config (it's mostly the default config just with my certs added). I tried different CA_PATH values, but no deal. I don't get it. The certs are working fine for my domain.

max_bandwidth = 48000;
welcometext = "Welcome to uMurmur!";
certificate = "/etc/letsencrypt/live/yadda tk/cert.pem";
private_key = "/etc/letsencrypt/live/yadda tk/privkey.pem";
password = "";
# admin_password = "test"; # Set to enable admin functionality.
# ban_length = 0; # Length in seconds for a ban. Default is 0. 0 = forever.
# enable_ban = false; # Default is false
# banfile = "banfile.txt"; # File to save bans to. Default is to not save bans to file.
# sync_banfile = false; # Keep banfile synced. Default is false, which means it is saved to at shutdown only.
# allow_textmessage = true; # Default is true
# opus_threshold = 100; # Percentage of users supporting Opus codec for it to be chosen. Default is 100.
# show_addresses = true; # Whether to show client's IP addresses under user information
max_users = 10;

bindport = 64738;
bindaddr = "192.168.178.240";

# username and groupname for privilege dropping.
# Will attempt to switch user if set.
# username = "";
# If groupname not set the user's default login group will be used
# groupname = "";

# Log to file option. Default is logging to syslog.
# umurmurd will close and reopen the logfile if SIGHUP is received.
# logfile = "/var/log/umurmurd.log";
logfile = "/home/pi/umurmurd.log";

# CA location for CA-signed certificates
# ca_path = "/path/to/ca/certificates/";
#ca_path = "/etc/ssl/certs/";
ca_path = "/usr/local/share/ca-certificates/";

# Channel tree definition:
# Root channel must always be defined first.
# If a channel has a parent, the parent must be defined before the child channel(s).
channels = ( {

[...default channel config, shortened due to post lenght limit...]

);

[...shortended even more, 2000 chars my ass...]
default_channel = "Lobby";
>>
>>59149073

openssl s_client -host your.domain -port 64738

?

Doesn't look like you chained things correctly if it's not verifying @ Mumble client
>>
>>59149164
Thanks for your help, I am really new to certificates an all that stuff!

/etc/letsencrypt/live/yadda tk/cert.pem
/etc/letsencrypt/live/yadda tk/chain.pem
/etc/letsencrypt/live/yadda tk/fullchain.pem
/etc/letsencrypt/live/yadda tk/privkey.pem

Letsencrypt has generated the files mentioned above for me and I am using fullchain.pem in my Nginx config.

Maybe I need to configure fullchain.pem in /etc/umurmur.con instead of cert.pem?

I will give that a try.
>>
>>59149164

Yes, thanks Anon! It fullchain.pem works!
+100 Internets for you!

Thanks again for being so helpful.
>>
File: 1487692605456.jpg (145KB, 2048x1446px) Image search: [Google]
1487692605456.jpg
145KB, 2048x1446px
is there difference between default router and default gateway ?
>>
Just installed neofetch and I have a dumb question: Do I need to redo "make install" every time I change the config file?
Are there easier ways to do it?
>>
Allright. So I was dumb and broke my laptop screen, went and got it replaced. Thing booted up fine but after the windows logo the screen turned off. Not like black screen with mouse, the monitor turned off. So I poked around some more and how got it to work by messing with some boot stuff, apparently it wasn't recognizing the screen.
Now I have one last issue though. Every element on the screen is bigger, like if I had set it to a lower resolution, but the resolution is the same. Its still 1366 x 768. Everything is just bigger for no reason. And I can't set the resolution even higher to get it back to where it was either.
>>
>>59149321
Not in consumer network layouts
>>
>>59149321
fuck, default route*

>>59149379
and in the non-consumer ?
>>
What would be the easiest/fastest IT certifications to get for someone who is incredibly technically inclined but has no proper technical education?

I have built/repaired computers, can do all the easy geek squad shit, know my way around Linux, etc. Lots of basic shit. I don't wanna enroll in courses, I'd rather read books and just take tests on my own time.
>>
>>59141464
I have quite a few. I'll start from easy to hard.
1. Is 650W PSU enough for average system? If so, is corsair's CX650M good?

2. Can anyone reccomend a quiet AIO liquid cooler that will fit in the back of define nano s?

3. Should i build my mITX setup on Z170i chipset or wait until AMD releases mITX mobos for ryzen and take a look then?

Thanks.
>>
>>59149430
Type "hack facebook" followed by the email address in a terminal and press enter.
>>
File: 2017-02-27_184604.png (100KB, 1200x747px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-27_184604.png
100KB, 1200x747px
>>59149364
Sorry I can only provide you with a german OS screenshot, but you might have turned on UI scaling under the control panel -> display settings ...

Try setting it back to 100%.

You can also increase or decrease desktop icon size by holding CTRL + Scroling you mouse wheel back and forth.
>>
>>59149395
>and in the non-consumer ?

Anything can be a gateway if configured to do so. Anything can also be a router if it has enough interfaces and can pass IP.
>>
>>59149478
Nigga, I know the question is stupid and sounds stupid, that's why I posted in a stupid questions thread expecting answers.
>>
>>59149543
you just got one
>>
>>59149591
Excuse my phrasing, I meant "helpful answers".
>>
>>59149606
one time i accidently discovered a flaw while fucking around with the fb of a fucker who owns me money - i went to forgot password, then "don't have acces to my mail right now", and facebook had me to match profile pictures and names from his friends, from which like 75% are mutual friends. But i think it's already 'patched'
>>
>>59149685
Good, anything else, like, if I'm using a PC, any way to use that f12 thing to my advantage?
Or any programs?
>>
>>59149753
press F12 and enter in the console

alert("error: ID10T");
>>
>>59149523
default route, not router, my bad
>>
>>59149779
Nigga come on, it's not like it'll harm you if you give a working answer.
>>
>>59149807
my dear 12 yo neggro, you are on a tech board, you should know what you can use dev tools for.

if you want dictionary attacks look into kali linux. you can safely use it in a VM
>>
>>59149430
phishin anon, I'll do it for 0.1btc before and 0.5btc after if you want
t. professional "black hat"
>>
>>59149793
Gateways/Routing tables are two entirely different concepts, but yes, they can be different in the case of wanting to load balance network infrastructure or wanting to prioritize a specific interface.
>>
>>59149828
So you're telling me I can use, for example, chrome dev tools to hack an account?
>>
>>59149874
maybe
>>
File: _20170227_221902.jpg (206KB, 1360x763px) Image search: [Google]
_20170227_221902.jpg
206KB, 1360x763px
>>59149885
What about this?
>>
>>59149930
yep looks good dude let us know how it works
>>
>>59149999
Nice quads, now I'm pretty sure this shit is gonna break something, so just lay it on me
>>
Hello, I would like to make a server out of an old laptop, and would like an easy to use Linux distro for it that has a lot of documentation or guides on the web. Preferable that it has a GUI for setting it on the laptop, if not CLI is ok.

If there isn't any good distro, you could recommend windows server if it's a better option.

I would like to do the following:

•File hosting
•Media streaming
•Torrent
•Web Hosting
Would like to host a web page just for fun and testing in home, so I could build something.

Since this would be just for fun I'm not aiming for some performance I just want to learn something and later expand on this if I need it, or build a better server. Would like to access the server from my phone so keep that in mind.
>>
File: how to build your own fileserver.jpg (440KB, 996x3019px) Image search: [Google]
how to build your own fileserver.jpg
440KB, 996x3019px
>>59150120
>>
>>59149409
This was a stupid question; quick Google showed me I should be looking into red hat certs and Cisco entry level certs
>>
>>59150165
Thx
>>
a friend has a laptop with 2 GB of RAM and is running windows 8 on it
how can i configure it so the system uses the least possible amount of RAM?
>>
>>59150427
32-bit OS, disable all possible background services (services.msc), keep an aggressively large page file

you won't make that shitcan work well, though. everything is simply too heavy these days
>>
Whats a good way to deep clean the dust and buildup out of a desktop?
Typically I just wipe the fan blades with a paper towel, remove and wipe off the fan filters, etc. But what is a good way to get in the cracks and other not seen areas?

Also, how often should I replace thermal paste?
>>
My desktop has multiple drive bays and some have the fans in front of them. Is it OK to install a HDD here or should I pick a spot without a fan in front.

Only reason I ask is because the ones with the fans are much easier to get at than those without.
>>
>>59150739
Depends on how much your case needs that airflow
>>
How the fuck can I find a 6' USB -> Micro cable that wont go to shit in 6 months?

The Micro 5pin connectors always stop working, or start falling out of the ports.

Reviews are useless, shills everywhere.
>>
Someone at my apartment complex threw away a premade Dell computer. I look around and took out the 1TB HDD inside. I have all the connections/power supplies to run it but my question is, should I?

I am interested to see what is on it but don't want an viruses that could have caused it to be thrown out.
>>
>>59141717
sid meiers pirates
>>
>>59150715
>Typically I just wipe the fan blades with a paper towel, remove and wipe off the fan filters, etc. But what is a good way to get in the cracks and other not seen areas?

Prop any fans with a shim, blow everything with canned air. Preventative maintenance with a case's dust filters is king, though.

Vacuum if you feel like it.

>Also, how often should I replace thermal paste?

3-5 years. Sooner if you pulled off the heatsink after curing.
>>
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE trying to start windows 10... Is my SSD dead?

I'm getting this error after I think I got an electric shock on the back of my hand while holding my mouse from someone trying to show me something on their tablet. Immediately after my mouse light was off, so I restarted my computer. Now I'm getting this error.
>>
>>59150983
That sounds dumb. Does bios show the ssd?
>>
>>59150936
>>Also, how often should I replace thermal paste?
Thanks for the reply. Is there a specific brand of thermal paste that reigns supreme or does it not matter in the long run?
>>
>>59150983
>The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check has a value of 0x0000007B. This bug check indicates that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup.

Either the boot device or the motherboard is likely damaged.
>>
File: Tim_test_update1.png (95KB, 815x1708px) Image search: [Google]
Tim_test_update1.png
95KB, 815x1708px
>>59151022
>pic related

I usually buy GC-Extreme if I can find it for a reasonable price. Otherwise, NT-H1 or MX4. Stay away from conductive stuff like AS5 if you consider yourself clumsy.
>>
>>59151023
I pray to god its the mobo.. I have unbacked up work from the last few days

>>59151018
It shows it, yes, and I mean it seems to boot some functions of windows, but it keeps looping a boot error and restarts over and over. Dunno if an SSD can be damaged and still load those functions somehow.
>>
>>59151131
Any drive can be partially damaged. Try booting a linux live to back up your files
>>
>>59151066
AS5 isn't electrically conductive
The ones you need to worry about are the liquid metal pastes which can fuck your shit up
>>
>>59151131
Try repairing windows if it shows up. Do you still have the disk or USB?

Or this:>>59151157
>>
>>59151160
Whats wrong with liquid pastes?
>>
>>59151160
Guess I fell into the silver sliver conductivity meme and never bothered to look it up. Thanks for pointing that out

>>59151185
They're liquid mercury and a huge pain in the ass to apply.
>>
>>59151200
>liquid mercury
I highly doubt this
>>
>>59151167
>>59151157
will try both. fingers crossed. dont have a windows USB so might have to make one.
>>
>>59151185
The liquid metal pastes are conductive and are extremely hard to clean off if you screw up

>>59151218
yeah its not mercury
>>
>>59141464
Console>>>>>>>PC????
>>
>>59151295
Never
>>
>>59151295
Depends.

-Do you use linux/freeBSD/hackintosh and don't like dual booting?
-Do you mind monthly subscription fees for playing games online?
-Do you find better exclusive games on console or PC?
-Can you stand lower resolutions and framerates?
-Do you like physical copies more?

Depending on your answers, you will find what you want.
>>
>>59151295
IMO, only Nintendo consoles can be worthwhile. The others don't offer anything unique, and lack some capabilities a PC has. Consoles can't split games across two displays when the bf cums over.

And a proper adult already has a PC for other stuff, so it takes only a $200 GPU to make it a gaming PC if like the kinds of games that need it.
>>
Is there such thing as a program that monitors clipboard history?
>>
File: 1488170445656.jpg (232KB, 700x878px) Image search: [Google]
1488170445656.jpg
232KB, 700x878px
>>
>>59151488
There's clipboards that keep history.
>>
File: asusmotherboard.jpg (38KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
asusmotherboard.jpg
38KB, 500x500px
How much could I charge for an AMD Phenom II 980 BE sitting in an Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX motherboard?

CPU retails for 150, motherboard retails for 80.
>>
What's a good user friendly database software?

I need something to use at work, might be checked by tech retarded people.

I work with insects, so I might work with a lot of data, but it will be pretty simple.
>>
>>59151597
130 tops
>>
>>59151634

how much to include a dusty Corsair H100 with fans and 1x4gb of ddr3 RAM?
>>
File: 1466800367189.gif (94KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1466800367189.gif
94KB, 500x275px
I need a server I can run PHP and various node.js services and a MySQL database that should be reachable via some domain name

How do I go about setting this up?

What is the cheapest option to get the most bang for my buck?
>>
>>59151597
100 total
>>
What does it mean when someone says "t. *"?
>>
Does anyone know if Windows 8.1 keys obtained through Microsoft Imagine can only be activated on a single PC? I'm about to replace my motherboard soon.
>>
>>59151714
web search and you'll find reddit posts about it
>>
>>59151714
apparently it's shorthand for a non-english "regards"
>>
My build from 2013 has finally had its major hit and the graphics card, a trusty Radeon HD7850, has finally died on me. I need to get it back up and running as soon as I can but I am not sure whether I should continue to work with the build like some sort of frankenstein by adding in a new card (something under 100 most likely, was looking at a GTX 1050) or if I dive into my savings to build a new pc tower.

Any recommendations either way would be super.
>>
File: 12y72XhAN9-picsay.png (13KB, 202x173px) Image search: [Google]
12y72XhAN9-picsay.png
13KB, 202x173px
Wassup /g/? I work in IT (second level monkey, not more than that) and I was thinking to install fedora on a spare laptop and try to work with that. I just need two things: a mail client exchange compatible and a connection manager with both support to rdp and ssh. I work on Linux and Windows.
I know that thunderbird and remmina exist but the dumb question is.. Is any of you really using those solutions and are satisfied with them?
Also, is fedora a good choice for my laptop?
>>
File: 4L_N0LsMxJI.png (209KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
4L_N0LsMxJI.png
209KB, 640x1136px
Should I do it?
>>
File: IMG_20170227_160054~2.jpg (53KB, 722x530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170227_160054~2.jpg
53KB, 722x530px
Guys. I feel retarded. But how do I make this set of data as a table with more columns and less rows? Can it be done in Word or Excel?
>>
>>59152471
An 840 evo? No.
>>
File: 4L_s6p5euxG.jpg (237KB, 679x521px) Image search: [Google]
4L_s6p5euxG.jpg
237KB, 679x521px
>>59152534
Why what is wrong with it?
>>
>>59152471
>500GB
I have the 2TB version of that and it's pretty great!
>>
>>59152415
>>
sorry, whats the easiest way to make a linux live usb from on linux? I'm a new linux user
>>
>>59152592
840 is older, slower, and less durable/reliable
you can get a 500GB 850 evo for $20 more

>>59152529
excel is kind of designed for that sort of thing
you could just use google docs as well
>>
OK, I'm doing a clean install of Windows 10.
Since it looks like Windows 10 has a Refresh tool or whatever, most "how to" pages on google tells me to use that, but I'll install W10 LTSB N Enterprise so I can remove some botnet from it.
The problem I have is that I've never formated or did a clean install of Windows, always just updated and it just werked.

Where should I begin? I already have a bootable USB ready with Windows on it.
>>
File: j.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
j.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
Every day is a blessing because each and every brings us a bit closer to death.
>>
Make an external backup of data you want to keep (duh), prioritise USB in booting options in BIOS/UEFI and just follow the instructions. I did my first clean install on the fly, it really isn't anything to worry about. If you're using a laptop, obviously you'll want to do it with power plugged in.
>>
>>59152756
meant for
>>59152656
>>
>>59152029
bump
>>
>>59152619
I know that Excel.can do those things. I can't figure out how. I've Google's and everything. Pls halp
>>
>>59152805
I'm not sure what you're trying to do, you can just copy and paste it into a different column
>>
What do you want to do? Make columns become rows and vice versa? If so, it's called transposition and Excel has a built-in functionality for that. Select and copy your table, then one of special pasting options will be transposition.
>>
>>59152868
Why am I forgetting to quote every time I respond
>>59152805
>>
>>59152851
>>59152868
>>59152883
Ah I forgot to mention that I added numbering that I need conserved.

But let me try to just copy/paste back into Excel as text, then bring it back into Word.
>>
>>59152756
OK, I think after watching some images I remember now that there is a format button.
I already backed up some stuff (even my User folder, hope it is jsut a copy paste).
>>
>>59152121
I use both for work.
I love them both.
I have a windows VM for M$ crap, connect to that via remmina very well.
I also pushedpushed out a few linux/remmina workstations to trial it for RDP to TSVR server and it seems to be more successful than RDP8 with UDP. No complaints.
>>
File: IMG_20170227_163404~2.jpg (34KB, 722x168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170227_163404~2.jpg
34KB, 722x168px
>>59152906
Sweet it worked. It was so simple lol. Just had to go back and forth between Excel and Word a few times.
>>
>>59152922
>my User folder
I'd be careful with pasting that. All programs will need to be installed again, so if any of them keeps some more or less vital files in User folder, nasty things might happen.
>>
I just added 30gb of songs to my itunes library and it's taking a long time to import them. What is itunes actually doing / processing when it imports a song? Writing the location into some xml file?
>>
>>59152029
bumping yet again..
>>
>>59152952
Well, is jsut so I have documents, music, downloads saved and some settings, I guess.
Anyway, wish me luck, I'll pull the trigger right now.
>>
>>59152991
Yes itunes makes a big xml file with all the data for every track
>>
I'm marathonning a series with some friends later this week. I'd like to 'prepare' it by cutting off the intro and outros of each episode so we don't have to sith through em every 20 minutes. I'm used to working with avidemux, but that doesn't keep subtitles.
Does anyone know of a free (windows) video editor that could help me with this?
>>
>>59141464

Hello /sqt/,
I want to try out a Linux in a virtual machine and have determined from what little i could understand that Trisquel seems most desirable to me because of the looks, the specific pre installed software (Some of which I am familiar with) and freedoms it has.
However my concern is how easy is it for a beginner to set up and use, and also is there any other distribution that has those factors i mentioned that I like, only better?
I have no prior experience with Linux.
My purpose for using it is to learn about Linux in general, its CLI and how to program using Emacs in language C.

In the /fglt/ thread one anon said it was as easy as Ubuntu to use/set up (Which i guess is easy from what i could look up) and another anon told me to use Debian instead.
What are your opinions on this matter?
>>
>>59153076
Where's that file usually located? I wonder what's in it that it takes so long to add songs. I've never had any other media program take over an hour to add 30gb of songs to a library, at most 10 seconds.
>>
File: OldShit.jpg (29KB, 479x479px) Image search: [Google]
OldShit.jpg
29KB, 479x479px
Hey /sqt/ just your average millennial toddler here I haven't used IRC ever and wanted to get started using it.
My main use would by chatting with friends and IRC seems attractive as a lightweight text chat service that can be secure when set up properly.
So my question is where do I start?
My end game would be hosting a server but I don't know how in depth that is, I have hosted my own websites and what not from home if that gives an idea with my experience level (hint hint, not very high).
Any advice is appreciated.

TL;DR: I want to start using IRC and eventually host my own IRC server, where do I start.
>>
>>59153183
Its been quite a while since I've actually used iTunes but it was in the user/music/itunes folder as "iTunes Music Library.xml"

Here's an example entry for a track. Don't ask my why I still have this damn thing.
            <key>Track ID</key><integer>1117</integer>
<key>Name</key><string>Sullivan Street</string>
<key>Artist</key><string>Counting Crows</string>
<key>Album</key><string>August &#38; Everything After</string>
<key>Genre</key><string>Rock</string>
<key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string>
<key>Size</key><integer>5397010</integer>
<key>Total Time</key><integer>269714</integer>
<key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer>
<key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer>
<key>Track Number</key><integer>8</integer>
<key>Track Count</key><integer>11</integer>
<key>Year</key><integer>1993</integer>
<key>Date Modified</key><date>2002-10-05T04:07:48Z</date>
<key>Date Added</key><date>2005-10-31T17:08:03Z</date>
<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>160</integer>
<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
<key>Persistent ID</key><string>64D8DE0BC49A7546</string>
<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
<key>File Type</key><integer>1297106739</integer>
<key>File Creator</key><integer>1752133483</integer>
<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Users/***/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/Counting%20Crows/August%20&#38;%20Everything%20After/08%20Sullivan%20Street.mp3</string>
>>
I need a new monitor from $200-300

I'm running a gtx 1070 SC, i5 6500

I'm guessing 4k wouldn't be worth it without being able to properly handle it? I do play games so 1ms would be great

Pls gib recs
>>
>>59152029
What do you mean "hit"? Like a power surge? Are you running a desktop without a UPS because you're a shitter and don't use it for anything besides games?

A 1050 benchmarks slightly below a 760, so that would make it continue performing like a decent PC from 2013.
>>
>>59153077
If the intro/outro is consistent you can just run them through an ffmpeg script
>>
>>59153446
Kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.
>>
Should I pretend to be a trans woman so thirsty twitch users will give me money?
>>
>>59153446
No, not a power surge or anything, the card was showing signs of dying for the past few months so I knew it would go soon and yesterday it cut out and my tower refused to start up despite powering on. After taking everything out and putting it back in, eventually I found everything except the card functioned so thats where I am. 1050 seemed like the closest to the 7850 I lost so it made sense but I just needed another opinion. Thanks for the help
>>
>room scale VR
>4K HDR TV

Which meme should I fall for?
I sort of lean towards the 4K screen but my 720p animes will look like shit on it.
The VR will be cool for about a week then the novelty wears off and it's only broken out every few months or to demo to other people.
>>
File: 1482210867265.jpg (198KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1482210867265.jpg
198KB, 1280x1440px
I want a 60" 4K TV for watching anime and playing weeb videogames on it, which one do i get? Price is irrelevant, /a/ and /v/ told me its sharp>sony>shit>samsung brand for the kind of content i want on it, is it true? Could any of you point me to any specific model i should get? I'm a total retard when it comes to this, my parents just used to buy the most expensive one at the time and stick with it for a decade, i want to do the same but when i go to the local store to pick mine i see led, lcd, 60hz, 144hz and i have no idea which one would be better.
>>
File: 1485644201217.jpg (2MB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1485644201217.jpg
2MB, 2880x1800px
Serious question. Why are professional mouse-pads usually black in color when mice use reflected light to detect the contents of the surface?
>>
File: 148797075243.jpg (24KB, 312x431px) Image search: [Google]
148797075243.jpg
24KB, 312x431px
How can I test if my ISP is throttling me on certain websites? This website img.yt is extreeemely slow right now, a 5MB image is taking 10 minutes but speedof.me says my speed is 12Mb or 1.2MB or something close
>>
File: Screenshot_15.png (111KB, 930x914px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_15.png
111KB, 930x914px
What next /g/?
>>
>>59153615
Go maximum frugal so you can travel more with your bf. He only expects you to have 1080p for now.
>>
>>59153650
Because it doesn't really have an effect on performance
Also a lot of the time the sensors are infrared
>>
My friend says he doesn't care about botnet.
How do people alike justify that? They basically want to get fucked in the ass, but I asked myself: how does it harm them in any way?
>>
>>59153640
Go in person. Different people like how different TVs look.
I personally like the LG B6. 4k OLED that supports Dolby vision and HDR10.
Someone can correct me but the HDR vs DolbyVision is similar to what happened to Bluray and HDDVD a few years back. One is going to corner the market so you might want to wait to figure out which one does.

I guess 4k doesn't matter if youre not downloading anime in 4k/gaming in 4k so you could save a lot of money and just get a 1080 tv.
>>
>>59153685
Test it through a VPN/proxy
>>
How do I know which port to plug my SSD into? My mobo manual says I have 3 options.
1) Asmedia 6gb/s SATA
2) Intel 6gb/s SATA
3) Intel 3gb/s SATA
They are all 7 pin so that doesn't matter but in the manual it specifies them as:
7-pin SATA6G_E1/E2
7-pin SATA6G_1/2
7-pin SATA3G_3-6
>>
>>59153768
Order of preference: Intel 6gbps > asmedia 6gbps > intel 3gbps
>>
>>59153715
Can someone answer this fairly simple question?
>>
>>59153739
Where can I find fast and free proxies? All I find is slow as fuck ones. I search usually on hidemyass proxies
>>
>>59153324
That doesn't seem like it should any appreciable amount of time to add that data for each song. There's gotta be some other reason why it took so long, I'll chalk it up to itunes being a pile of shit.
>>
>>59153800
no

>>59153805
some vpns have a free trial you could use to test
>>
>>59153805
Betternet is good. free tier supports Switzerland only though
>>
>>59141796
>>59141830
>>59142047
You sound nearly identical to me. I love programming and my assignments aren't nearly enough to keep me busy, yet I have no good ideas for independent work to make myself stand out.

I'm interested in learning to make handy Android apps for my own personal use, but that market is already flooded.
Wat do?

>tldr I have no original ideas, what can I work on?
>>
>>59153800
>>59153715
If your friend is a normalfag there's truly nothing to hide for him, normalfags consume only approved mainstream media and the raunchiest thing you'll find on their phones and computers is amateur porn so the cia can't come knocking on their doors for having illegal shit, they don't even bother to justify it because they have nothing to lose, they just let it happen.

Meanwhile us /g/entlemen have terabytes worth of pirated content; videogames, anime, books, movies, weird porn etc, you don't want papa microsoft/jewgle looking at your 2D little girl porn do you? That's why we run unstable linux distros on decade old ibm/lenovo computers and buggy custom roms free of google services on our moto g phones.
>>
File: 1420112907201.png (243KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
1420112907201.png
243KB, 550x535px
US border agents may demand access to your social media accounts now.
What if I don't HAVE any social media accounts?
Will they detain or torture me?
>>
is there any way to back up emails and whatnot in the Windows 10 Mail app? think along the lines of a .pst file used by outlook

mum's friend wants a format but needs her emails backed up. as far as i could see after 5 minutes of looking, there's nothing built into the app to do this
>>
>>59153910
He pirates as well. Shamelessly. Anime, movies, TV shows, games (even from GOG).
What I meant to ask is how it would harm me if I used Snapchat for example. Obviously from millions of users they wouldn't care who I am.
Why are we afraid of botnet in a first place?
>>
>>59153961
Probably not but they'll think you're a weirdo for not having at least fagbook, make a spare email account asap and work your full name on it, then show them your papers and once they ask for your email give them that one and have them check on the internet that you truly don't have any social media.

W A L L
A
L
L
>>
>>59153878
Glad to know there are others in the same boat
>>
>>59154118
>make a spare email account asap
why? you think i'm joking that i don't have any social media accounts?
>>
>>59154035
isn't it tied to an ms account? then you should be able to install outlook and save from there, or there may be some sort of cloud backup option
>>
I want to use Node in a similar way to how I used XAMPP, I want to have multiple sites under the same process.

In XAMPP all I had to do was slap a folder for every project I had, how would I go about doing this in Node?

I'd prefer to use Express for my projects since that's what I started with and I don't really know much about Node overall.
>>
>>59154267
thanks for your help but apparently i'm a retard and the win 10 mail app is essentially just a client to view the mail rather than a full on application like full Outlook

all her emails are still there if i sign into Outlook.com so i'm good to go anyway
>>
>>59153451
>>59153077
It wasn't, but I managed to do it with MKVToolNix. Some fiddling, but I got it the way I want.
>>
>>59153063
Done.
LSTB doesn't have cortana and a lot of the crap on Windows 10. The only thing I had to disable was the multi task and look button and the notification thing.
Pretty nice.
>>
How do you guys feel about Data Rescue PC3 ?
>>
Windowsfag here
Changed my window borders to black, but now I can't see the header text
is there a way to change the header text colour?
windows 8 btw
>>
does anyone know why my my monitor turns black when I drag a link or image in firefox?
I can still move my cursor but everything else is fugged.
I'm using DWM and X gives me a message "X10: fatal IO error" that I think is related.
>>
>>59154247
Of couse not, i don't use social media either unless you consider 4chan, xda or youtube as social media, and even then the youtube account is old as shit and i only made it to watch some 144p anime tiddies back then.

>you give border agents your current email, [email protected]
>they give it to cianiggers, who will be able to dig up just about every embarassing or incriminating comment and account you've ever made on the internet

Better to have a "clean" spare email for situations like this, i made one when looking for jobs.
>>
i need to set a single bit in an io register, without first unsetting the bit. is there a way to do so without a temporary byte as shown?

byte temp = register & ~(1 << bit);
temp |= (data & 1) << bit;
register = temp;
>>
>>59154991
nvm i thought of the right way to word it and stackex had an answer:

number ^= (-x ^ number) & (1 << n);
>>
File: 1488234142385.jpg (28KB, 589x327px) Image search: [Google]
1488234142385.jpg
28KB, 589x327px
My wireless network card doesn't receive a good signal from the router, and they are about only 30m far from each other.
The signal is week and there's always a high loss of packets.

My laptop, located on about the same place, receives a good/average signal.
I've even bought a repeater, and placed it between the router and the computer, but that didn't help much.

I noticed something weird, the network card seems to work much better without the side panel on the computer case. Maybe the case somehow blocks the signal?
>>
Should I install dd-wrt on my Netgear router? Will it be slower or faster than the normal firmware?
>>
Can someone walk me through how to host SSH on Ubuntu I'm a retarded babby
>>
what's the best thing to clean a touchscreen with? my laptop screen is pretty filthy
>>
I can get stuff done as soon as I wake up, but why do I struggle to get started on things as soon as I have my breakfast in front of me and continue procrastinating after I've eaten it?
>>
>>59155149
Microfiber cloth, with a little demineralized water as needed.
>>
>>59155202
>>>/psych/
>>
How loud can these speakers play safely?

I re-foamed both woofers but I've only replaced the capacitors in 1 speaker

I haven't gone past -15 yet

Since the receiver only pushes 105w am I safe since the speakers have 125w power handling?
>>
>>59155456
sorry about the tinnitus :(
>>
File: emu puns 1.jpg (73KB, 477x373px) Image search: [Google]
emu puns 1.jpg
73KB, 477x373px
So I'm in the middle of learning Python at the moment. I currently have 3 books to learn it from. (Learn Python the hard way, Python programming for the absolute beginner 3rd edition, and automate the boring stuff.)
While in the middle of learn python the hard way, I was told that I shouldn't read it because it used python 2.
Should I go to a different book?
>>
>>59155705
The fundamentals are the same. You should know 2 and 3.
>>
File: drives.png (6KB, 228x336px) Image search: [Google]
drives.png
6KB, 228x336px
When I installed Windows on my PC, I wasn't thinking and made a dumb mistake.

I cloned the boot partition onto my new SSD, but then when I booted it, it tried to install Windows. Not thinking, I let it create a new boot partition with pretty much the same files.

According to this image, can I format the other drive and re-incorporate it in with a different partition?
>>
I found a HDD digging through a bin of parts. I plug it in and see that it is broken into multiple drives, 4 to be exact. What does this mean and how do I go about formatting all of them?

Or if I format each one individually will that fix it?
>>
Recently (starting yesterday) I've noticed that my secondary hard drive isn't always on. Most of my programs and games are on the SSD, so the secondary HDD isn't always in use and I've noticed that it clicks on and starts spinning when I open a folder or program that's in the HDD, but the thing is that it never did this before. It was always on. I've never set the power configuration to do this.

The drive has been giving me trouble for a while now, with Windows reporting "problems with the hard drive" every now and then and the drive generally being slow as fuck. Could this just be another symptom of a dying drive?
>>
Is reading a guide on how to do something then doing it considered "diy/doing it yourself"? I always thought it mean you figured it all out by yourself the entire process. For example is learning html by searching online considered diy?
>>
test
>>
>>59156214
To me DIY is more like buying PC parts and putting it together yourself vs buying prebuilt or having the guy at the store put your parts together

In your analogy it would be like learning HTML and making your website vs asking/paying someone to make your website
>>
>>59156226
Ok now that I see the file is not corrupted, what could cause an image to display incorrectly in one program but fine in the rest? Honeyview displays this and a handful of other images incorrectly but explorer, paint, PS and pretty much everything else displays it correctly. I love Honeyviews simplicity and I haven't updated just because I heard newer versions add unnecessary bloat and botnet. Should I update and are newer versions free from toolbars crap?
>>
>>59156321
If by incorrectly you mean fucked up color/contrast/gamma, it might be related to color management settings
>>
>>59156280
Makes sense. Thanks
>>
I have windows 10 and previous to my 4k monitor purchase, I had a 1440p monitor which I used this tool to fix the scaling / DPI. https://lifehacker.com/fix-blurry-fonts-in-windows-10-with-this-utility-1734246822
I just bought a 4k monitor in additon to my 1440p monitor and I'm having a hard time figuring out the DPI settings. If I use the native windows 10 DPI scaling ( ie. 125% ) all the text looks like crap. When I switch back to the tool the text is crystal clear.
The problem im having is using that tool to set "individual" DPI's for my 4k monitor and my 1440p monitor. I need one settings for 1440p and one for 4k.
Anyone have any tips?
>>
Friend is willing to sell me windows 10 pro for $15. Is the pro version bloated with extra bullshit and should I just get the home version?
>>
>>59156412
windows is free
>>
>>59156429
How? I thought that offer had expired, and anyways it required you to allow microsoft's hand up your ass.
>>
>>59156443
all consumer software is free
>>
>>59156466
oh you
>>
>>59156443
Just pirate windows 7 and stick with it until you're absolutely forced to move to 10. You don't even need any programs to crack/validate it, you can run on trial period forever with a cmd command and a small .bat file. Google it.
>>
>>59141464
What's a good flash drive to get?

Does it mater if it's USB 3.0, 3.1, Type C, Thunderbolt, etc.?

I just got a Patriot Blitz 128 GB USB 3.0 for cheap, but it seems pretty slow backing up my Steam library. It's 3.0 compatible, but a bunch of reviews online say it only transfers up to USB 2.0 speeds. I needed the extra storage in a small form factor anyway so I ain't mad, especially since it was on sale at the same price as other USB 2.0 drives at the time. But I'm curious as to what's considered a decent transfer speed for flash drives today.
>>
Yo-yo! If I maintain my monitor turned on with a black screen it'll consume more energy than a monitor with a colorful screensaver? And if the screen is all white?
>>
>>59156205
pls respond
>>
>>59156550
Unless you're running stuff off the stick often, just look for the best 3.0 deal you can get. Make sure you're putting it in a usb 3.0 port to get the usb 3.0 speeds (usually the port is blue).

I picked up a $6 usb 3.0 16gb.
>>
>>59141464
I know i should post this on /v/ but where do i get games cheaper apart from G2A
>>
>>59156751
thepiratebay
>>
File: carly.jpg (131KB, 1160x629px) Image search: [Google]
carly.jpg
131KB, 1160x629px
>>59156777
thats wron tho
>>
$ sudo apt-get install tails-installer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
tails-installer is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 175 not upgraded.
$ sudo tails-installer
sudo: tails-installer: command not found

How do you launch tails-installer from terminal?
>>
I have an old nexus 4 phone that i need to use for a few days until my other phone is unlocked by sprint.

Can I use the sim card in my nexus and then switch it when the other phone is unlocked?
>>
How to calculate the matrix for xrandr's --transform command for fixing overscan?

I have a TV that won't let me change it's overscan for hdmi input. I have it connected to my HTPC, but at it's highest resolution it goes off screen. So, for now I have it set to a lower resolution because it stops this from happening. So, I was trying to use the xrandr's --transform command to fix compensate for the overscan in the higher resolution. I don't know how to calculate the matrix for that though. I had tried random settings from the internet

xrandr --output HDMI1 --transform 1.05,0,-35,0,1.05,-19,0,0,1

with trial and error to get it right, but I can't quite get the scaling right vertically that way.

So, can someone explain how that math works from calculating the transform matrix. I'm not even sure what parameters are needed for calculating it.
>>
>>59156673
Ah, alright. I just need it for mass backup/storage so I don't mind if it's a bit slow. Doom by itself is just over 70 GB, and I don't really feel like breaking my wallet for a faster flash drive.
>>
>>59156804
Oh, it's tails-installer-launcher. Nevermind.
>>
File: dmz.jpg (31KB, 517x435px) Image search: [Google]
dmz.jpg
31KB, 517x435px
If I forward a port to my local device (or place the local device in the router's DMZ), will port scanners be able to see my ports are open even if I have no software listening on those ports?
>>
>>59156935
If there's nothing listening it'll look the same as if it wasn't forwarded, i.e. a timeout.

>>59156821
Should be able to so long as it's the CDMA version, or if you have 4G coverage and set it to LTE only.

>>59156751
Check allkeyshop.

>>59156205
Could by dying. Backup, run the manufacturer's test tool, if that reports an error, RMA.

>>59156173
Run Disk Management, right click each volume, delete, then once it's all unallocated, right click, create simple volume.

>>59155057

Could be the case blocking the signal, try spinning the machine around see if it's better in one orientation. If that helps, you can get an antenna extension/stand to stick it somewhere it gets better signal https://www.amazon.com/HUACAM-HCM35N-Magnetic-Connector-Extension/dp/B01FJHLVOM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1488251370&sr=8-10&keywords=stand+antenna+sma . Also, checked that your antennas are both on tight?
>>
File: dssaas.png (13KB, 387x249px) Image search: [Google]
dssaas.png
13KB, 387x249px
>>59156348
No I meant
>>
So guys, i want to get into hosting different things on a dedicated server for my buddies and i as Im tired of doing it from home. If I were to pay monthly for a cheap monthly server, say from delimiter or something, would it be just like setting up windows on any other computer and then port forwarding etc? Or is it more difficult than that? Btw what does it mean when the server comes with kvm? It is an hp server i want to rent.
>>
>>59149930
trick him into giving you his cookies
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.