[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

with windows 10 being basically a botnet and apple being for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: rzoi6cq5d0ux.png (105KB, 883x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rzoi6cq5d0ux.png
105KB, 883x1024px
with windows 10 being basically a botnet and apple being for idiots who hate having money, will linux see its time to shine in the mainstream computer market?

i was very surprised when first installing ubuntu how similar it was to the "typical OS" experience, albeit a little rough around the edges. but it was a massive step up from windows fucking updating whenever it wants to and sending my CPU up to a jillion degrees and eating all my RAM to scan my hard drive for no fucking reason.

with a core team maintaining their own distro, keeping prices lower than windows and avoiding all the stupid blunders that microsoft has made, i can easily see linux actually starting to eat up a much bigger share of the home computer market, first as a niche, but eventually growing into a respectable market share (like firefox).

what do you think?
>>
Most people are just gonna use whatever OS their computer came with regardless of quality or ease of installing a new one. I think we might see a small demographic of computer people that were already on the fence give Linux a try but I highly doubt for desktops it would be the mainstream.
>>
Microsoft will just keep pouring millions in marketing and OEMs to make sure people will keep using their awful software
>>
>>59137092

i suppose you're right, windows is getting pretty fucking shameless, i heard they even have little popups that warn you that "microsoft edge is a safer choice" if you try to open a different browser
>>
Linux is never coming afloat until retards stop forking like idiots manpower and unite instead, Ubuntu having canonical was starting to make some progress years ago but not anymore.

Do a fucking Linux build people can identify even if it goes against your beliefs, the benefits of having one general build then your autistic 999 million ones are enormous, as manufacturers will start to develop drivers, games and software suites will be ported etc and once that is achieved then people won't go back to paid alternatives and the devs push and kids installing things for parents will counter everything so it stays like that. With most of the world using libre operating systems.
>>
>>59137191
>Microsoft will just keep pouring millions in marketing and OEMs to make sure people will keep using their awful software

Except they don't.

Linux is trash and it's why nobody uses it.

If your little conspiracy were true, then no OEM would sell Chromebooks (which they do).
>>
>>59137255

linux is a real pain in the ass to use i will agree to that, hence why i would expect a core team to make their own distro and actually maintain it to be reliable and simple enough to use that the average computer user can settle in and use it without much hassle

the only reason i use is because i refuse to believe that my CPU needs to go up to 80% at random times during the day a month after a fresh install
>>
>>59137255
Thanks for your contribution to this thread, Pajeet. 5 poos will be added to your loo
>>
File: yNlQWRM.jpg (865KB, 1813x2111px) Image search: [Google]
yNlQWRM.jpg
865KB, 1813x2111px
>>59137294

>pajeet
>>
>>59137237
God damn that was a difficult read
>>
>>59137541

linux users don't so much "speak" as activate a stream from the unintelligible garble in their brain out of their mouths
>>
>>59137282

>hence why i would expect a core team to make their own distro and actually maintain it to be reliable and simple enough to use that the average computer user can settle in and use it without much hassle

And therein lies the issue. Linux isn't about a centralized control, it's about democratization of software, allowing for as much control to the user as possible and transparency of code.

If you want simple and reliable, you already have Ubuntu and Mint (and ElementaryOS soon to follow). The big issue is more that most people are already on the Apple/MS train and are used to the software libraries of those platforms. Moving to Linux would require either substituting inferior programs or running the programs through compatibility layers that tend to fuck up a lot. If you only use webapps then moving to Linux isn't too much hassle.
>>
>>59136706
>with a core team maintaining their own distro

Nope, just yet another distro. Plus all the work is in repackaging millions of open source software packages for this new distro and adding it to your new repository every few days. Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Palm, dumb phones, they all know how to make software management not crap and make sure 3rd party apps easily install on all of their devices for the foreseeable future without shit tons of extra bullshit work needed for all eternity. Just donate all your money to ReactOS if you want Windows gone, they at least have an actual chance.
>>
I don't think Linux is crap, it's just that many programs are windows/ mac only. Many people I know only stay on Windows for that. I don't see the reason for dual boot if I can use my windows (7) for everything else just fine.
>>
File: 1488071185669.jpg (19KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1488071185669.jpg
19KB, 326x326px
S o f t w a r e
O
F
T
W
A
R
E
>>
>>59136706
>with windows 10 being basically a botnet
yes

>and apple being for idiots who hate having money,
kek, keep repeating everything /g/ tells you.

>will linux see its time to shine in the mainstream computer market?
nope, they failed to capitalize users during the shit it was WinME and the WinVista fiasco. I literally don't see any reason why it would be different this time around.
>>
>>59136706
>keeping prices low
WTF GET THAT ANTI-FREEDOM OUT OF HERE
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.