[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I were to get a CompTIA A+ and subsequent network/security

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: download.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4KB, 225x225px
If I were to get a CompTIA A+ and subsequent network/security certs, is it possible to get into the field at 30? I want to fix/maintain systems and who knows what other opportunities exist.
>>
>>59133279
what kind of systems? Comptia is ok for desktop support but if you want the big boy entrylevel certs you need to look at , MCSA, RHCSA, and CCNA.
>>
>>59133327
Ah, see this is what I want to know. Yeah, I'm fine with helping whomever set up their printer, but I'd rather not be help desk for life. I generally feel like networking is the way to go for future stability. There's all kinds of hosts and such in my town; so there isn't a lack of opportunity here. I just derive pleasure from setup, troubleshooting/resolution, and overall maintenance. As you can tell, I'm kind of aimless, but your cert suggestions help give a good heading.
>>
>>59133465
If you specifically feel good about setup/maintenance but not so much about helpdesk, networking is definitely a good path.

You can also look at some 'non-IT' areas like teledata electricians (installint datacenters) and cable/fiber linework (in the air/underground)
>>
>>59133598
And for that 2nd portion you won't be looking at IT certs but rather OSHA-related stuff to start out with.
>>
>>59133279
29 here, this is basically exactly what I'm looking at trying to do.

I've already done some studying for the CCNA - does /g/ think it's possible at all to get entry-level work in IT with just a CCNA and little other experience beyond that?

Whose dick do I have to suck to get an IT job without 4+ years of school and a mountain of debt?
>>
>>59133670
easiest entry is with contracting agencies like teksystems or randstad or spherion desu. They dont care about your credentials so much as how well you score on their own aptitude tests.
>>
>>59133704
Is that basically 3-6 months of work on contract, and then you have to look for another contract?

That might actually be ideal for me to start with.
>>
File: 1444358848273.jpg (11KB, 232x354px) Image search: [Google]
1444358848273.jpg
11KB, 232x354px
>>59133670
Well, I'm 29 until August, but I figure if I started today, I would be prepped by the time I'm 30.

>MFW impending 30s
>>
>>59133704
>aptitude tests
What sort of aptitude tests are these? I have RHCSA and trying to get RHCE but its a lot harder. I can always score pretty well on tests though so this sounds perfect.
>>
>>59133327

Assuming you even get any one of those, where would one even apply for a job? Seems like there are none.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.